Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 obsession - misc ramblings

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 01:15 PM
athens944
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow 944 obsession - misc ramblings

I finally joined Rennlist! I am now not only a user...I am a member. Here is my self-imposed dilema. I have an '83 944 which I have had since 1999. It was not in the greatest shape cosmetically, but I fell in love with it anyway.(you know the story I took it down a twisty road and the rest is history) The driver's seat is torn and worn, missing center armrest w/hinge top cassette box(i guess that is what those are). The headlight motor does not work properly, so the lights remain "up". I replaced the clutch in 2001 with the spring type, as well as the master & slave cylinders. I also changed the timing belt and rollers shortly thereafter, along with the balance shaft belt. I have come across an '86 944 na that is cosmetically above and beyond my '83. I took it for a drive and immediately noticed some differences in the '86 vs. my '83. Of course the paint and interior where much nicer, the lights work properly, no hatch leaks, and much smoother idling. The guy who is selling has just about every receipt since the car was purchased. The maintenance is well documented, no red flags on carfax, and frankly, I want it! I am not looking for someone to make a decision for me, but I am trying to weigh the pros and cons before I fall victim to the full obsession and just buy it. I'm sure some of you have been through the same or similar situations with these or other cars. I welcome any experience you all may have. I know, bottom line is I'll have to decide, but just curious to hear what the Rennlist community has to say. Either way, I'm a 944 diehard(obviously). Thanks in advance for any feedback!
Old 01-24-2005, 01:26 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Well if you did by the '86, would you still keep the '83? Your '83 seems pretty well sorted mechanically with the exception of the things you mentioned. Is the '86 up to date with all maitenence items as well? Would you be prepared to due the clutch and timing belt over again on the new car if need be? I think the asking price of the '86 should play as the greatest deciding factor. Also if you plan on keeping both cars or not. Selling the '83 could easily recoup some, if not most of the buying price for the '86, making it a little easier on your wallet to do any maitenence items.

If you planned on keeping both, the '83 would make a nice candidate for a track car. They are lighter than i believe all other years of the 944 and i doubt you wouldnt mind much if it took a little more of a beating cosmetically while auto-xing or tracking the car.
Old 01-24-2005, 01:41 PM
athens944
Pro

Yes price is a huge consideration, I agree! At this point I would have to sell the '83 if I get the '86. As I mentioned, the '86 is well-cared for and up to date maintenance-wise, but I still need to be prepared! I will say this, I am taken in by the '86 because of the great maintence records and how nice it looks cosmetically. I think it would take quite a bit of money to get mine looking anywhere close to this. I am trying to upgrade my Porsche situation and this seems to be a possible solution. If I got my car painted and bought a new front spoiler/air dam, fixed the headlight situation, put in new driver & passenger seats, fix the driver's side door handle, smooth out the sometimes loud, inconsistent idle I would be content with keeping the '83. Am I just being taken in by the beauty of this well-kept '86? More thoughts to come...
Old 01-24-2005, 02:17 PM
BigRed
Pro

What's wrong with the driver's side door handle?
Old 01-24-2005, 02:22 PM
shmucklebuckle
Three Wheelin'

I would switch if it was my choice to make. And I have a head light motor for $25 shipped if you want it
Old 01-24-2005, 03:35 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Well, it depends what you plan on in the long run. The later model has the updated dash style. Personally i love all 944s, but the late dash is my favorite interior style of any car. Its really driver friendly and comfortable. If you would rather spend the money in updating yours, thats one thing. If you would enjoy a nicer car though more than yours overall, then i would upgrade.

Do what you feel will make you happy in the long run. Thats why i jumped on mine. Mine is a lot better than the ones i was looking at. It cost more though. I figured, whats a little more now when its gonna provide a lot more pleasure for years to come. I didnt wanna spend the money, but it was a smart move looking back.
Old 01-24-2005, 03:47 PM
Friendan
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by athens944
I'm sure some of you have been through the same or similar situations with these or other cars.
Hmm...how about: THE EXACT SAME SITUATION!
That's so funny, I went through exactly what you did about 4 years ago. I bought the 83 in rough shape but I fell in love with it, and i was getting it in good shape, and i was happy with it...
Then I discovered my hairdressers husband was selling his time machine 1986 944 with 73k km (that's about 45k miles or something)...they brought it back to life, and I went and saw it, and it was love at first sight.
I noticed lots of differences; i was glad to have power steering, the interior looks a million times better and is mint like the rest of the car, and it was black on black leather. The engine ran better, an it was cleaner in every aspect (other than all the dust buildup).
Anyways, it was pretty expensive compared to my 83, but it was worth it.
Let me know if you have any questions, shoot em my way, i've been there!
Old 01-24-2005, 03:58 PM
athens944
Pro

Ok, the dilema is over. The guy has a buyer. It was a nice thought. I'm sure another will come along. in the meantime, I'll continue to maintain and improve my '83. Overall, it has been a fairly reliable car. It has its usual quirks and difficulties from time to time, but I still smile when I'm driving to work every morning.

The door handle on the driver's side is apparently easily fixed with the little plastic piece that becomes brittle over time and breaks.

As far as the cosmetics and the paint, maybe I can find a good reliable place to do the work for a decent price. I don't want some Maaco type Earl Scheib special, though. Also, I'll need to source a good front spoiler/air dam before I get it painted. Bottom line is, I have a 944 and it runs well, despite the faded Guards Red.
Old 01-24-2005, 04:56 PM
icat
Race Car

Not trying to turn this into a "sour grapes" story, but I'd look for an 87 or later. The 86 still had the early offset wheels - which limits your choices unless you don't mind running spacers (and then there's the whole conversion thing with studs, spacers, etc.). I had almost the same story - started with a cosmetically challenged 83 944 and graduated up to a Garage Queen 86 951. If I had the process to do over, then I would have held out for an 87 or later model. Of course, car condition is way more important than model year - so basically, when you find the right car BUY IT.
Old 01-24-2005, 05:16 PM
BigRed
Pro

Originally Posted by athens944
The door handle on the driver's side is apparently easily fixed with the little plastic piece that becomes brittle over time and breaks.
I may have an extra little plastic piece...if it's the one that I'm thinking of. Get with me if you need it.
Old 01-24-2005, 10:19 PM
Charlotte944
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BTDT!

I started off with an '84 that needed a lot of TLC, and for the next year or so I worked my butt off getting things squared away and fixing stuff that broke while driving (like a head gasdket for instance!).

I had the car totally sorted out. No electircal problems, engine ran like a top, no rear end bearing noise, drove straight as an arrow, interior in perfect condition, exterior 8 out of 10, and 15" fuchs wheels. I bought the car with 103K on the odometer and logged another 43K.

Then I find an '86 with a busted starter and starter ring gear for $1800.00, and I just couldn't resist (Full LEATHER interior and totally stock with 240K on the odometer, owned by the same guy for 10 years!).

I did a head gasket, water pump, new shocks/struts, rebuilt all four calipers, new brake rotors, converted to R-134a, installed a CoverLay, and then I sold the '84.

Shortly there after I ran across an '86 951 that needed some TLC, and for $6000.00 I drove her home. I've done some major work to this car as well, but for me that is 50% of why I like these cars.

I say if you can afford it, then buy it.
Old 01-24-2005, 10:41 PM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by icat
...I'd look for an 87 or later. The 86 still had the early offset wheels - which limits your choices unless you don't mind running spacers...
Well, there is this point of view, but speaking as a guy who had Al Reed fully polish my '87 16" PD's and - as good as they look (excellent)....they'd look a lot better if they were the early offset.

Plus, I would LOVE to have put fully polished Fuchs on my car. Neither is possible with the late offset...well, at least not without a lot of work.

If your heart is set on 944's and you want the late offset wheels - Cups, Cup 2's or Twists, then by all means buy a late car. I love mine....but I'd still love to have those early offsets, oh well
Old 01-24-2005, 11:36 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

1 word. Fuchs. Us "late offset" guys drool over them.

Quick Reply: 944 obsession - misc ramblings