Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Taj Kruzers Speedfest! WELCOMES Vic Elford!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 03:31 PM
NO-H2O
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Taj Kruzers Speedfest! WELCOMES Vic Elford!!!

Taj Kruzers Speedfest 05 event welcomes Vic Elford...
Hey Guys.. we have CONFIRMED Vic Elford is coming to the Taj Kruzers Speedfest!
He is going to be hanging with us on Thursday June 2 talking about what ever we want.. Porsches without question will be a topic I am sure! and just the good ole "barstool racing stories" stuff we all love, you'll also be able to see the Collection of cars Mr. D. has as a side bonus .. . We have yet to set the ticket prices. once we do it will be posted. the event will be Thursday evening , June 2 at the Taj.
This will be a 1st come 1st served event with a very limited number of folks to attend....this will allow a more one on one feel. Ticket prices have yet to be determined, but will offer an incentive to buy your tickets early.
Ticket prices will include hors d'oeuvres and an open bar....
which I think is one HELL of a deal. you'll get to be around guys who love Porsches and have a few drinks and B.S. with Vic Elford.. then hang out the weekend participating in all the other 7 events the Taj Kruzers Speedfest will be offering... REMEMBER ALL THE MONEY goes to the kids of The Ronald McDonald House.... The event raised 50K for the kids last year!!! 50,000 for the kids.. Lets make it a Bigger WIN for the kids and in doing so we'll ALL have a killer time at the event...

save the date!!!!!!!!!!!

For those of you who have been here before you know what a nice event this is. This year looks like it will be even bigger. Last year more than $50,000 was raised for the Ronald McDonald house charity.
Here is a tentative schedule.
Thu June 02 - Vic Elford private party...meet and B.S.session with Vic
Fri June 03 - Quaker Steak and Lube Party (wings and beer)
Sat June 04 (early morning) - Literature/Swap meet at the Taj
Sat June 04 - MVSCC Autocross at Wright State Univ.
(Note: the Autocross will be on a much bigger course this year. Expect great speed in a safe wide open facility)
Sat June 04 - Taj Ma Garaj Porsche Museum Tour
Sun June 05- Taj Road Warrior Tour (8 am)
Sun June 05- Taj Concours (Noon-5pm)

Hope everyone in the area can make it. More details at www.tajmagaraj.com

Here is a little back ground on Vic..
not like any of us DON'T know who and what he has done!! he is a legend.

Career Record
1967 European GT Rally Champion & British 2-litre Circuit Racing Champion Winner Targa Florio 1968 Winner Sebring 12 Hours 1971
3 Time Winner Nurburgring 1000kms
2 Time Winner Nurburgring 500kms
Winner Marathon de la Route
F1 1968-1971

Vic Elford was one of the fastest drivers of the Sixties and Seventies and a Porsche hero.

Nicknamed "Quick Vic" by his peers, legendary driver Vic Elford is arguably the most versatile all a round drivers of all time. Elford was European Rally Champion in 1967 then turned to Sportscar Racing and F 1.

Vic excelled in International rallies, being the last British driver to win the Monte Carlo rally (1968) and the European Rally Championship.

He won the Targa Florio in 1968 and the Sebring 12 hours in 1971 in Porsches.

Elford is one of only two drivers to have won 6 separate times at the Nurburgring the other was Rudolf Caracciolo in the 1920's), including:
- The "Marathon de la Route" (previously run as the "Liège-Sofia-Liège Rally"), consisting of four nights and three days round the 'Ring.
- Three times the 1000kms (for Porsche) and twice the 500kms. In the latter, once in a Lola, where he was the only driver to go the distance - solo. 22 laps in about 3 3/4 hours!

In F1, Elford ran with Cooper, McLaren and BRM, scoring a total of eight championship points. His first drive in F 1 resulted in 4th place in the rain at the French GP driving the slowest car in the field!

Vic also competed with outstanding results in Can Am, TransAm, Off road events in Africa and even NASCAR.

Although he is perhaps best know for his results as a driver for 6 years in Porsches, Elford also raced for Ford, Triumph, Lancia, Alfa-Romeo, Ferrari, Chaparral, Shadow, Cooper, Lola, Chevron, Subaru. He also drove MacLaren in
F1 & CanAm, Chevrolet in TransAm, and Lola.

Vic Elford lap records included: Targa Florio, Nurburgring, Daytona, Sebring, Norisring, Monza, Buenos Aires, Road Atlanta, Laguna Seca, RiversideAt Le Mans he was the first driver to lap at over 150mph in the Porsche long-tail 917 in 1970. And while driving for Jim Hall, Elford was the first ever to pace the old Laguna Seca course in under 1 minute, in the Chaparral 2J "sucker car".

Vic was hired by Steve McQueen to do the high speed close-up action driving the 917 for McQueen's film Le Mans.

In 1972, while driving for Alfa Romeo, Vic branched out into another extra-curricular activity - that of principal narrator for producer Michael Keyser's film The Speed Merchants.

During the 24 hours of Le Mans, when a Ferrari crashed in front of him, Vic stopped in mid-race to extricate the driver from his burning car. T.V.
cameras caught the action and Vic was named Chevalier de l'Ordre National du Mérite by French President Georges Pompidou for his act of courage and heroism.

Shortly after, Vic retired from racing

Elford is the author of The Porsche High-Performance Driving Handbook.

Last edited by NO-H2O; 01-21-2005 at 09:49 AM.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:33 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pish...with a name like No-H2O and you post in a 944 forum...

that's cool tho...
Old 01-20-2005, 03:35 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

No-H2O is Eric, who is a good friend of mine.

Eric, I'm glad to see that Mr. Elford could make it to our event instead of the Targa Florio. This is great news! Thanks for posting it!
Old 01-20-2005, 03:36 PM
NO-H2O
Instructor

Hey Bro... even though I drive an aircooler.. doesn't mean I don't LOVE all Porsches..
I think too many people are hung up on the water vs. aircooled thing.. if it's sporting a crest it's a PORSCHE to me!

Hope you can pass this on it's for ALL Porsche!!!
hope to see ya there as well!
Later,
Eric
Old 01-20-2005, 03:42 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

I know! I'm just givin ya a hard time. I do appologize for forgetting to make it apparent that I was kidding. Where is the event located?
Old 01-20-2005, 03:43 PM
NO-H2O
Instructor

Brother, it's a bit of a hope for you .. it's in Dayton Ohio....
but hey If yer in the area around that time.. check it out..

Eric
Old 01-20-2005, 03:43 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

www.tajmagaraj.com

Here in Dayton, Ohio.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:46 PM
alpenweissisnice
Addict
Rennlist Member

It's all good, but..."No H20" - in the 944 Thread...Hmmm...
Old 01-20-2005, 03:46 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Ah. I see... Damn...

Well, I geuss I could use that as an excuse to go visit my Aunt and Uncle who live in Dayton...

maybe stop by mid-ohio motorsports park, chill with some 'listers...
Old 01-20-2005, 03:55 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Road trip for Richie!
Old 01-20-2005, 03:59 PM
NO-H2O
Instructor

You guys should REALLY try to make it.. this is an honest to goodness GREAT Porsche event ... it IS WELL worth the drive..

Eric
Old 01-20-2005, 04:02 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Will there be an award for "Farthest Distance Travelled?"
As if I'd need it.. Listening to Vic and seeing a 959 would be reward enough.
ooh and auto-x too!
Old 01-20-2005, 04:06 PM
NO-H2O
Instructor

Rich,
as a matter of fact THERE IS a trophey/award for the person that travels the farthest... so you might win it.. we had a guy from North Dakota last year... honest the collection of cars is crazy!
The site might say the CGT and the GT3 are not there yet but they are .. we have had them for about 5 months now..
and yes the 959 is here as well. Mr D even has a 951 CUP car for you guys that love the fast and rare 944 series... hell I LOVE the Cup car! ahahaha..

Eric
Old 01-20-2005, 04:09 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Originally Posted by alpenweissisnice
It's all good, but..."No H20" - in the 944 Thread...Hmmm...
Eric used to have a 944, then purchased a 911SC and sold the 944 to his sister. His 911 doesn't use antifreeze/water, thus his name "NO-H2O". Nothing derrogatory there at all!
Old 01-20-2005, 04:20 PM
NO-H2O
Instructor

So how many guys wanna do the AX?
I say we put a 5.00 pot that has all that want to enter and they one that gets the fastest time takes the cash in the pot..
anytakers... I know Jeremy (Tifo) doesn't want any of this.. neither does Dan (xsboost) and his "teener". hahahah! anyone.. come on down to the event and lets have a go..... I know we ALL have nice cars.. but how many of you guys can drive them..? hahahhahah!
bring it..
Hope to see you guys there!!
Eric

Quick Reply: 2005 Taj Kruzers Speedfest! WELCOMES Vic Elford!!!