Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 Turbo in the Winter

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 11:52 AM
Swagger93
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 944 Turbo in the Winter

Hey everyone, this is a topic that has been partially beat to death, so I figured I'd finish it off. I live up here in Milwaukee, WI.

I currently have two cars, a 1987 Saab 9000 and a 1986 Porsche 944 Turbo. I'm looking to sell the Porsche, as some know, because it needs a little too much work. I'm looking for 4500-5000 for the Porsche. I am also thinking of selling the Saab for 1200-1500. I'd then turn around and buy another turbo, in better condition, and stick snow tires on and do basic maintainence items. Does this sound like it would make a decent all season car?

The main concerns I have are the height from the ground (although they are very good at plowing up here, so even in a 10 inch snowfall it is cleared within 5 hours), and cold weather reliability. I am also somewhat concerned about corrosion underneath the car. I've never been in an accident in the snow despite the fact that I sometimes go out just to have fun in it. I've also never owned snow tires.

I know that Porsches are for driving, but they are sports cars. It would be great to hear from anyone with 944 winter experience.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:02 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I drove mine in the snow last couple of years, if you want any grip, you gotta have snow tyres. Some blizzaks and some extra weight in the rear, can make the car driveable and fairly safe (assuming you take it easy) Other than that, it depends on how much snow you have. You have to know when to keep it parked - you don't want to take it to work in the morning and then get stranded at work after 9 hours of snowfall.

If you don't have a lot of experience drifting and power sliding around in cars, I would probably avoid it though... It's easy to get the back out, and if you've got slow reflexes you could wind up kissing a lamp post.

Also, if you have a NICE car, keep it parked, because the chances of someone else crashing into you are increased to the point where it isn't worth driving anymore.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:21 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 174 Posts

If you go snow-tire route, I advise a skinny tire. My 944 had 205 Blizzaks and was better than the 205/255 WinterM2 set-up on my 968 (MUCH more tail-happy). The slightly taller Blizzaks also added a bit of clearance for me. Skinny tires may not look as cool, but seem to bite significantly better. Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:27 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

i second the skinny tyre advice.

with a narrower footprint, you have the same amount of pressure over a smaller tyre patch. this increase in psi helps the tread dig into the snow a bit more. less "hydroplaning"
Old 01-20-2005, 12:43 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Yep, my biggest worry is cold starting in the winter, which is why I installed a lower rad hose heater, which by some strange twist of fate, cost me my car. Anyways, if you experience really cold weater (below 0F), I would advise installing some kind of engine heater.

Other than that, I drove my 944 all winter, and plan to drive my new 951 year round. They make excellent winter cars.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:52 PM
Swagger93
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the responses so far guys. Winter driving is my forte, as my energy filled teenage friends and I have spent many tanks of gas trading off between our '87 Starion, '86 Parisianne wagon, and '90 9000 S driving like manics on desolate snow-covered roads. Sounds like the 951 won't be much more crazy than what I have to deal with every day, with old cars in cold weather.
Old 01-20-2005, 01:27 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Zero10
Yep, my biggest worry is cold starting in the winter, which is why I installed a lower rad hose heater, which by some strange twist of fate, cost me my car. Anyways, if you experience really cold weater (below 0F), I would advise installing some kind of engine heater.
I don't drive my 951 very much in winter (I have another car for that), but when I have gone out with it, I've never had starting problems, at least not down to a few degrees below 0F. It also helps to use a lighter weight synthetic engine oil, like 0W30 or maybe 5W30 at most, which makes it easier for the engine to crank. I found that with heavier oils, the engine would be a bit shaky and rough until it warmed up a bit.
Old 01-20-2005, 02:07 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Ah yes, I run Mobil 1, 0W40 in the winter, anything thicker and my lifters will tap for far too long.
I advise engine heaters, simply because they make cold starting easier on the engine, as opposed to making cold starting easier. Even with a synthetic oil, it is still rather hard on the engine to fire it up when it's -40 out.

Don't forget to check your antifreeze
Old 01-20-2005, 02:14 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Along with the snow tires, I'd recommend staying off the boost but I'm sure you know that
Old 01-20-2005, 03:05 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

I had my 951 out exactly one time when it started to flurry. Coated the ground just enough for the drive home. Ive driven a lot of crap cars in the snow (even the 740 Turbo which should not have been DOT approved for winter driving) and nothing struck quite the terror as the 951 did that night. I could go 3mph and tap the breaks and fishtail completely sideways. I ran into a curb at one light. Absolutely worst car in the white stuff Ive ever had bar none. And my tires are all seasons and pretty new. I wouldnt even venture out in snow tires or chains were it me.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:08 PM
Mike1982
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, I know in my car, as long as I am NOT on boost, I don't have a problem getting traction, but even at a couple of pounds and it will spin. I have always had a rear wheel drive car but if you aren't used to them in the winter, I wouldn't try the porsche that much, could end up in a ditch or even worse you could hit another car.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:13 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Wow Chris!!! We need to get you some ralley racing lessons my man! 951 = tons of fun in snow:

No Tread + Snow = FUN

(To be fair, it had a little more tread in the back...
Old 01-20-2005, 03:14 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I drive my 951 in CT snow on Nokian RSi tyres - totally solid feeling, the roads are plowed enough that I don't have clearance issues (no air-dam bulldozer effect), and the tyres are absolutely stellar. No block heater, 0w30 oil. The car is so well balanced it's very controllable and quite fun in the snow and slush.

Sam
Old 01-20-2005, 03:14 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Wheeeeeeeeee

Whoooooooooo

Old 01-20-2005, 03:49 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

I drove my 944 one winter and had absolutly no problems with handling. What I did have a problem with was the other cars on the road. I ended up getting into an accident simply due to another car's lack of traction (and not my own). I only had "all-season" tires at that point, and even they were on their last legs. I imagine if you put some skinny (205 series or less) snow tires you should not have any problems with traction (not as much as AWD, but you'll run circles around Camaro's).

My 944 with those bad tires still got better traction than my Jeep does with Blizzaks (in 2wd).

As for the 'winterability' of the car....remember these car's are built in Germany. Germany isn't exactly known for it's tropical climate. Your car has heated mirrors if that's any indication. You've got galvanized body panels and a rubberized underbody coating. You're still not immune to salt damage, but you're in much better shape than most cars on the road.

On a side note....I did have troubles with my wiper motor not working below 20*F back when I would drive it winters....but I think this was due to a faulty motor and not a poor initial design.

As for why I no longer drive it winters....I'm afraid of the OTHER cars on the road, plus I'm kinda babying my new paint job .

Quick Reply: 944 Turbo in the Winter