Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Uncle KILLED MY CAR!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 04:03 PM
silverBean
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I could do it the way the mexican PO do it. Tie him to a chair and beat him with a water saturated rolled up nes paper. Leaves no external marks, can't say the same about internal...
Old 01-18-2005, 07:14 PM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say possibly a mis-shift down. Over revved the motor beyond the revlimiter and took out some valves? I've seen that plenty before on 911s. Look for markings of a tow truck? how did it get home? I'd beat him with every broken part from the car, even if it's the friggin crank!
Old 01-18-2005, 11:43 PM
silverBean
Burning Brakes

Update on the condition of the car. It DOES start up now, just doesn't stay on. It will start thendie unless given gas. With throttle bod opened up it has excess vibration, but it is spiratic(sp). It will have jumps and such. So i need to figure out what it is. My dad is saying OVERHAUL!! I don't know if it's that drastic just yet but maybe. aso sounds like the timing was thrown out a bit, but not much.
As for the status of my uncle. he is MIA. Left the house that day and has not returned. e might be at my aunt's apartament but tey can't stand eachother so if he was is there, it won't be for long. I am just so damn upset. I just dropped 700 in parts. did al the belts, all front seals, water pump. All new hoses. I mean jesus!!! and now it seems like it was all for nothing. If it turns out to be enough for an overhaul, i am dbating whether or not to do an engine swap. maybe for a turbo or s. maybe even an s2. whelp, not much else can be said.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:54 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Update on the condition of the car. It DOES start up now, just doesn't stay on. It will start thendie unless given gas. With throttle bod opened up it has excess vibration, but it is spiratic(sp). It will have jumps and such. So i need to figure out what it is. My dad is saying OVERHAUL!! I don't know if it's that drastic just yet but maybe. aso sounds like the timing was thrown out a bit, but not much.
I mean this in the nicest possible manner. It is clear you have no clue what you are doing. Either take it to someone who IS qualified or sell it.

If it turns out to be enough for an overhaul, i am dbating whether or not to do an engine swap. maybe for a turbo or s. maybe even an s2. whelp, not much else can be said.
You arent sure what is wrong with it, why it doesnt stay running, or anything else about the condition of the car but you think you are capable of handling an engine swap?

It might be time to be a realist. Take the belt covers off and check the belts, do a compression test, do a leakdown test. If those are okay then try to figure out what is wrong with the car. I really think your best bet is to tow it to a competant mechanic and have them look at it.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:17 AM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

OK, he flooded it, sounds like you have a plug or two fouled, my black car does it when cold and not driven much. For 6 bucks you can put new spark plugs in it and youll know if that's it, sounds like a cheap start to me. Bosch WR7DC
Old 01-19-2005, 12:28 AM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

You NEED to pull the belt covers off and check the timing marks very easy and simple to do. If the marks look good than check your vacume lines it could be that a line came off?? Two easy places to start!! And for the love of god quit trying to start the car and run it, DO YOU think its going to FIX ITS SELF?
Old 01-19-2005, 12:35 AM
TrevorW
Racer

Did you do the belts yourself? I'd check to make sure the balance shaft belt isn't 180' off. Sorry about your misfortune.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:36 AM
faithless
Pro

Originally Posted by nine-44
OK, he flooded it, sounds like you have a plug or two fouled, my black car does it when cold and not driven much. For 6 bucks you can put new spark plugs in it and youll know if that's it, sounds like a cheap start to me. Bosch WR7DC
Hehe, that would be nice.

I think if it was towed home... someone would have heard the loud truck and the noisy clattering of chains and winches.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:58 AM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm just having a hard time beleiving that the belt jumped or broke as a result of trying to drive a car with the Ebrake on. I run the **** out of my daily car with 323K miles on it, the belts were done by me and not checked for 12K miles. I checked them and the balance was slightly loose, timing was fine. I'm thinking if the neighbors didn't hear a tow truck, he wasn't running it hard enough to hurt it.

In cold weather, these cars will crank slow allowing them to load up with fuel, I've had it happen multiple times with two different cars and Jason924S had this happen too on his car. It's worth a try I'd say, checking the belts would not be a bad thing either. He could have had the tow truck drop the car up the street and rolled it down also. Professional drunks are thinkers.
Old 01-19-2005, 01:25 AM
faithless
Pro

I dont know if this applies to 944s, but I think probably yes. When my Honda minibike wouldnt start up for whatever reason, I would take out the spark plug (1 ) and put it in the vice and brush it with a wire brush. It removes the black soot and gives it a chance to dry out. It was always all it took to get the baby puttin again!

Is that fine to do?
Old 01-19-2005, 01:33 AM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

If the plugs are fouled... and I'm in no way saying that is necessarily the problem, then yank them and either clean them with brakleen or ether, or put a propane torch to them for a little bit. No need to go out and buy new ones if a little fuel gets on them.
Old 01-19-2005, 02:07 AM
silverBean
Burning Brakes

ok thanks all. as far as the "you don't know what you are doing" coemment, my father has been working in a garage since he was 10, and my grandfather can fix anything. I am sill learning i admit. My uncle is coming up here with a truck this weekend and weare gonna tow it to my grandfathers. My dad is telling me NOT to mess with it as he has littler faith than you. I went through the belt job step by step with my grandfather and can do that now, i am just being restricted from it and respecting that.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:37 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know if it's that drastic just yet but maybe. aso sounds like the timing was thrown out a bit, but not much.
This one sentence was enough to know that maybe someone else should look at it. I am sorry you dont like my assessment of the situation. If I was local I would be happy to come look at it with you because you seem to WANT to learn (that is hard to come by now days).

As to the other parts of the response, my grandfather flew helicopters in Korea, but I have no clue how to do that, know what I mean?
Old 01-19-2005, 11:59 AM
faithless
Pro

Originally Posted by silverBean
ok thanks all. as far as the "you don't know what you are doing" coemment, my father has been working in a garage since he was 10, and my grandfather can fix anything. I am sill learning i admit. My uncle is coming up here with a truck this weekend and weare gonna tow it to my grandfathers. My dad is telling me NOT to mess with it as he has littler faith than you. I went through the belt job step by step with my grandfather and can do that now, i am just being restricted from it and respecting that.
Hehe, good old grandpa! My grandpa not only fixes things, he makes them better than they were before they broke!!
Old 01-19-2005, 04:23 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

silver,
Please find out what is wrong with the car. You uncle may be an A$$, but I doubt he damaged the car any (at least the motor). I my self ran my 944-spec for 20 min pratice seesion on the track with my e-brake on. Only thing to suffer was the e-brake no longer works. Funny since I was running solid lap times too

I have also overrevved the motor. On upshift on trip to 7000 won't hurt a thing. I have also missed a couple shifts and over-rev on down shift I never damaged anything, but I know of other who have. can be damaging, but will result in bent valves. Bent valves mean poor performance or knocking in the head. Now to bend the valves you really need to be going faster than 45 mph. 2nd gear is good for over 45 mph so if he downshifted to first then it could be bad. However downshifting into first is pretty hard at speed. At least it is so in all my 944's.

Do check the T-belt and balacne belts and also check for vacuum leaks. Those could cause idle issues.

Quick Reply: Uncle KILLED MY CAR!!!!