Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 to appear in a new video game ('89 951 officialy confirmed!)

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 06:03 PM
cgoldhill
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought that i had read somewhere that the new gran turismo 4 was going to have porsches? Maybe i'm just thinking of something else but the new GT4 is supposed to have over 500 cars.
Old 01-19-2005, 06:06 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the game: Need for Speed: Porsche Unleashed, there were several 944's in the various sections of game play, including 951's, 944S2's, 924's, and 944 n/a's.

NFS: PU is one of my favorite driving games, first for all the Porsches, second for the Factory Driver program, and third for the overall gameplay.
-Z.
Old 01-19-2005, 06:28 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ijohnston99
Check out http://www.emulator-zone.com/doc.php/xbox/ I don't have an x-box so can't try out the compatabilty of games with any of these.

Have fun!
Ian
Wow thanks have to look into that. A friend is telling me "Get an xbox get an xbox!" and im telling her "Im broke im broke!"
Old 01-19-2005, 06:41 PM
elvisizer
Racer

Originally Posted by DanG
Add me to the list of people who can't wait for this game to come out. This games looks so good I might even consider buying it rather than just renting/ripping it.

Those of you debating purchase of an xbox, think it over no longer. Used/refurbed boxes are down around $130-140. You can have it modded for $50-80. Install whatever size HD you choose (I have a 250GB in mine, now they cost about $100 or less) and when you're done you have a system capable of saving over 100 xbox games, thousands of emulated games, all your music, pictures, or downloaded movies... I use my hacked xbox nearly everyday, mostly to play my divx movies in HD and surround sound. And gameplay is SO much better on an xbox than even the snazziest PC. The software is designed to be optimum for the (impressive) hardware, no compromises.

If you haven't looked into hacked xboxes, you owe it to yourself. Read up on www.xbox-scene.com and the forums there. If you want some help, PM me and I can give you more info on whatever you want.
the only problem with moddingg the xbox right now is that you lose the ability to play online- the xbox live service checks the xboxen as they connect, and modded boxes aren't allowed.
however, if you aren't interested in online play, there really are a bunch of cool things you can do with an xbox. an old dreamcast, too for that matter. i'm running linux on my old dreamcast!

one other thing- saying that an xbox gives you better gameplay than the 'best' PC is just plain crazy. Yes, games can be optimized specifically for the xbox hardware, but that hardware is itself about 3 years old now. It's a 700 mhz celeron, fercryinoutloud. trust me, there's no way an xbox could render half life 2 or doom 3 as well as a current highish-end pc like mine:
athon 64 3000+
bfg geforce 6800gt OC 256 MB
DFI Nforce3-250gb UT
OCZ modstream 520W
1 GB OCZ RAM

i mean, the video card in the xbox doesn't even support SM2.0!
anyway, i don't want to rant here- i have an xbox, too, so i'm not saying it sucks, i'm just saying the xbox HW is getting a little long in the tooth compared to current PC game playing tech.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:39 PM
Operator
Three Wheelin'

theedge: your FEMALE friend is telling you to get an xbox and you aren't listening? say wha?!

elvisizer: you can mod an xbox and play online, just cant use both at once flip the switch for the mod chip to off and you can play online just like any other unmodded xbox. flip it on and you can play your copied games. of course you cant connect to the internet with the chip on.. and.. nowadays they check for modified hard drives so thats probably out as well. although im sure there are ways to mask that you have one.. i wouldn't take the risk. anyway, it can be done.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:31 PM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by elvisizer
the only problem with moddingg the xbox right now is that you lose the ability to play online- the xbox live service checks the xboxen as they connect, and modded boxes aren't allowed.
like Operator said. I have a switch on the back of my system (no modchip, I do TSOP flashing) that allows me to boot up with either the original MS bios or with a hacked bios. I haven't kept up with the latest counter-hacking measures by MS for XBL, so I don't know whether a hacked box running original MS bios is still safe or not. Regardless there are other services out there (FREE services) that allow online play with anyone without a subscription, and with a hacked system, even one running a game backup disc or saved to the HD. It works by simulating a local network game for everyone logged into the database, from anywhere in the world. So its like you're playing a LAN game with your buddies, except your buddies can be half a world away.

one other thing- saying that an xbox gives you better gameplay than the 'best' PC is just plain crazy. Yes, games can be optimized specifically for the xbox hardware, but that hardware is itself about 3 years old now. It's a 700 mhz celeron, fercryinoutloud. trust me, there's no way an xbox could render half life 2 or doom 3 as well as a current highish-end pc like mine:
athon 64 3000+
bfg geforce 6800gt OC 256 MB
DFI Nforce3-250gb UT
OCZ modstream 520W
1 GB OCZ RAM

i mean, the video card in the xbox doesn't even support SM2.0!
anyway, i don't want to rant here- i have an xbox, too, so i'm not saying it sucks, i'm just saying the xbox HW is getting a little long in the tooth compared to current PC game playing tech.
True, PC's definitely get the nod for maximum processing power and graphics abilities. I was talking more about the actuall "feel" you get playing xbox compared to a PC. But ignore all that, hows this instead. Its a heck of a piece of machinery for a measly 140 bucks.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:32 PM
Type_LT
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

iloveporsches: props on the avatar!
Old 01-20-2005, 10:21 AM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

I haven't kept up with the latest counter-hacking measures by MS for XBL, so I don't know whether a hacked box running original MS bios is still safe or not.
I checked up on the latest in the Xbox Live banning theories, it seems as long as you don't try to connect with a hacked bios, you'll still be ok. No hard drive detection or anything of that nature. Usernames do not get banned, only EEPROM code / Hard Drive serial combinations do. If you haven't used live and want to mod your system, you'll be fine for joining live in the future as long as you can disable the mod. If you've already used live on your unmodded system, you have to buy a new "unmarried" EEPROM for $5 and you can swap to a new big hard drive with no further issues.

Read this if you want to see more...
Marriage Theory from X-S.com forums
Old 01-20-2005, 11:13 AM
NO-H2O
Instructor

Originally Posted by ckathens
Awesome! I've been up late tonight playing Project Gotham 2 for Xbox. I mostly drive the Porsches (they seem to be the best in most of the car categories in the game!). I'm especially in love with the old 911 Carerra RS 2.7L. But i've really been missing a 944 or 968 in one of these games...

What id your screen name on the online part of X-box PGRII.
I will race ya around the "ring" !
i LOVE THAT GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-20-2005, 06:23 PM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This game is going to be a lot of fun. You'll be able to modify, tune, and detail all sorts of real cars and trade with other players online. You'll also be able to start car clubs and host club races, etc.

It would be killer to have a Rennlist 944 Racing club with common paint themes and have at it!!
Old 01-20-2005, 06:35 PM
elvisizer
Racer

like Operator said. I have a switch on the back of my system (no modchip, I do TSOP flashing) that allows me to boot up with either the original MS bios or with a hacked bios.
Ah, yes, that'd work very nicely to get back into Live. nice feature to have- did you come up with the switch wiring yourself, or was it a retail package?

True, PC's definitely get the nod for maximum processing power and graphics abilities. I was talking more about the actuall "feel" you get playing xbox compared to a PC. But ignore all that, hows this instead. Its a heck of a piece of machinery for a measly 140 bucks.
yeah, i get where you're coming from- glitchy game play is nearly non-existant on the xbox (though the 2 KOTOR games will crash occasionally) compared to the PC. I have colin mcrae 2005 for both the PC and xbox, and though it looks much nicer on the PC, it doesn't like my particular sound card, so the engine rev samples all have audible clicks when they begin and end. And that's exactly the kind of thing that having exactly one hardware configuration (i.e. the xbox) to support prevents. needless to say, i usually play the xbox copy.

<tangent>
you know, this really was kind of a dissapointing christmas for me in terms of racing games. i was all excited for both gran turismo 4 AND forza, and then both got delayed. bah.
</tangent>
Old 01-20-2005, 06:39 PM
elvisizer
Racer

I checked up on the latest in the Xbox Live banning theories, it seems as long as you don't try to connect with a hacked bios, you'll still be ok. No hard drive detection or anything of that nature. Usernames do not get banned, only EEPROM code / Hard Drive serial combinations do. If you haven't used live and want to mod your system, you'll be fine for joining live in the future as long as you can disable the mod. If you've already used live on your unmodded system, you have to buy a new "unmarried" EEPROM for $5 and you can swap to a new big hard drive with no further issues.

Read this if you want to see more...
Marriage Theory from X-S.com forums
yeah, that's what i've seen, too- the BIOS is the key. the switched set up you have is really the way to go.
of course, you could just grab a debug xbox from work like I did- that'll let you do whatever you want to, too . . .
Old 05-05-2005, 01:40 AM
led
Three Wheelin'

I had to revive this thread! I was just browsing over the cars in this game and I almost fainted, a 951 in a newly released game!!! This is awesome, also, it looks way better than the NFS:PU model. The '87 911T 3.3 looks great as well. Nice to see some Porsche classics on modern games.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:49 AM
NeedPorscheSpeed
Three Wheelin'

Default Awesome!

That it has been included alongside all those giants of Porsche history, I'm honored! Long Live the 1989 Turbo!
Old 05-05-2005, 03:00 AM
r1moto
Instructor

I picked up the game today, its sweet and ultra realistic, first thing I did was play it enough to buy a 944, now I got it modded and I'm tearing up the point to point races.

Quick Reply: 944 to appear in a new video game ('89 951 officialy confirmed!)