Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Knocking Sound from Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2005, 05:09 PM
arbeitm
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knocking Sound from Transmission

I've done a search and found one or two similar problems but no definite answers.

There is basically a knocking sound coming from the transmission. The sound is loudest at the driver side rear wheel. When I press the clutch the sound goes away.

Tomorrow morning I'm going to check my transmission fluid.

Has anyone else had this and know what it is?
Old 01-08-2005, 05:32 PM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the input shaft bearings in the trans, possibly the torque tube bearings. You can pull the coupler between the two and see if the torque tube makes the sound with the trans diconnected. You pull the tow allen bolts on the coupler, 10mm I beleive and slide the coupler towards the trans all the way off the TT. You can use a large screwdriver to slide it. Good luck
Old 01-08-2005, 06:33 PM
Jay W
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have this noise as well, rather loud when the car is in neutral and you put your head near the drivers side rear wheel. I changed the transmission fluid to mobil 1 synthetic and it is a bit less noisy but I can still hear it. The fluid was at the full line even before I changed it. I had thought it might have been low.
Old 02-06-2005, 12:07 PM
arbeitm
Burning Brakes

So I finally got around to checking this out...the weathers been horrible until this weekend. And I confirmed the knocking sound is coming from the transmission. Using a stethascope it seams to be loudest at the back of the transmission where 5th gear is.

I'm going to remove the transmission.

Any ideas what this could be? Once I remove it, will it be easy to open up and try to see what's causing the problem?
Old 02-06-2005, 12:20 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If it's a RPM related clicking or CLACK, usually under torque and goes away as the torque equalizes it may be a CV. Driver's side (outside)usually go first due the exhaust plus brake heat. I still have CV grease under my fingernails from replacing my CV's at Andy's yesterday. Not hard to fix, just messy and tough on my 45 year old shoulders with bursitis.

EDIT: nevermind me if it's the tranny- I have no guess, so I'll leave it up to others better equipped to diagnose this.
Old 02-06-2005, 12:37 PM
arbeitm
Burning Brakes

My guess right now is that it's something on the input shaft or the drive pinion inside the gear carrier.

It sounds like a metal to metal knocking. Maybe a gear tooth broke? I don't know.
Old 02-06-2005, 02:22 PM
triscadek
Addict
Rennlist Member

Does it do this only while idling/car not moving or driving?

Mine makes noise while idling with the clutch out, if I put the clutch in it immedaitly stops.
The first time I noticed this I was at an ATM with concrete walls and roof to reflect maximum noise and it scared the hell out of me. I took the car to my mech. and he said many 944s will do that.

For my noise it seems to either be the torque tube or a gear idling in the trans. Some people have taken the trans. apart trying to fix it only to still have the noise.

It hasn't hurt anything in 3 1/2 yrs. and 50,000 miles so I just decided this is not a hill I want to die on.

Last edited by triscadek; 02-06-2005 at 02:52 PM.
Old 02-06-2005, 02:30 PM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hell, what was I thinking, I missed the "sounds like it's at the driver's rear tire" Most likely the CV joints, the driver's side is usually the first to go due to the extra heat stress from the exhaust. Good Luck
Old 02-06-2005, 02:57 PM
triscadek
Addict
Rennlist Member

When the CVs go don't they click more like a rock in the tire tread than a knock?

I think this is a stationary not an under power problem.
Old 02-06-2005, 03:12 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by triscadek
When the CVs go don't they click more like a rock in the tire tread than a knock?

I think this is a stationary not an under power problem.
Yep- CV's first click, than a louder clack as the inner race wears. After pulling them apart yesterday, I can no see how enough wear will cause the middle steel casing to lodge in the CV- and cause the whole thing to sieze if there is enough room due to wear. Yikes!
This noise will only be present if in gear and under power, normally at takeoff.
Old 02-12-2005, 03:10 PM
arbeitm
Burning Brakes

Well I got the tranmssion out of the car using Clarks procedure. No problems. Took about 3 hrs, but I guess not too bad for a first timer novice.

It turns out I have a broken gear. The gear that is part of the input shaft which turns with 2nd gear is broken. Two teath (or whatever they are called) broke off. What could have caused that???

So now the dilema is as follows:

1. I could replace the input shaft myself. (I have access to a press.) However I'm not to keen on pulling the gear shafts apart since I have no experience with tranmssions. Also the only place I can find the shaft is at Pelican Parts for about $ 330. For that price I can almost buy a whole used transmission.

2. I could take it to someone who can replace it for me. Since I have the gear carrier seperated from the housing, I've pretty much done all the monkey work. It would probably be pretty easy for an experienced shop to just replace the input shaft and give it back to me. Could be cheaper?

3. Just buy a replacement transmission since I could probably get one for around the same price as the input shaft and not go through the hassel. I can't afford a $ 1,500 rebuilt transmission right now. So forget that.

Anyone have any thoughts. Thanks for reading this if you got this far.
Old 02-12-2005, 03:54 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

I'd go for a replacement, I've seen 2 in the last month out here for $250 with vehicle history. Think of the spare parts you will have and then you have the time to repair yours and one to sell or keep.

Quick Reply: Knocking Sound from Transmission