Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid damn headlights have got me beat. Does anyone make affordable flushmounts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2005 | 04:37 PM
Steve PH
Instructor

I must admit I like this head light conversion, its very close to the Carrera GTS set up.

Some times I think the original set up looks a bit goofy, don't think the large Brit reg plate helps in my case!

http://www.evoposters.net/gallery/album27/x10
Old 01-08-2005 | 05:50 PM
jmporsche944
Rennlist Member

I love the flip up lights... I wouldnt have gotten a car without flip up lights
Old 01-08-2005 | 05:59 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Look kids! It's a big. . . purple. . . Porsche / Supra. . . thing. Sorry, I just hate those. On the GTS, sure it made a certain amount of sense due to the speeds they were running, but for a street car? Yuk.
Old 01-08-2005 | 06:02 PM
Zero10
Race Car

I really liked the flip up lights at the beginning, but they look kind of slanted when they're up, it's hard to explain. I would like fixed headlights, would allow me to use the bi-xenon projectors from an Audi A6/BMW X5

Ryan, my thought is that perhaps there is still some kind of issue at the switch, I would like to try jumpering the switch, I would just need to learn how it works inside, I suppose we could meter it out. Since the wiring is already cut near the switch, we'll just eliminate the plug and everything for testing purposes. I'm really hoping that's where the problem is. I have some minor work to do on my car, just have to look through the front end, and find everything that got displaced in the snow bank. Took me 10 minutes to find my heater cord, lol.
Old 01-08-2005 | 07:07 PM
ian
Nordschleife Master

If sometime in the future I build up another 924/44/51 I'd love to go with fixed headlights, the weight savings and extra room in the engine bay make it worth while to me. And I happen to be a huge fan of the 924GTS so an item that harks back to that design is ok in my book.

But with all that said, I would try to figure out what is wrong with your units, for a street car you are going to spend more money trying to set up the fixed units than you would be fixing yours.
Old 01-08-2005 | 07:32 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile
On the GTS, sure it made a certain amount of sense due to the speeds they were running, but for a street car? Yuk.
My car was fairly well crunched so going to the GTS lights was a good alternative for me. Personally I wanted to work on a sleepy eye type conversion but I ended up saving weight, and the head-ache of getting everything aligned **perfectly** after my accident. Now I'm trying to find a better manufacturer of the headlights, I like GT Racing's other products but the buckets they create, I am not a fan of. Some of the ones running around europe are MUCH better (I'm trying to track these down through a few people).
Attached Images   
Old 01-09-2005 | 12:49 AM
TaylorSea4
Pro

Gotta agree that while it IS cool, look at the left headlight on that purple car. WONDERFUL fit there, eh? Then again, dunno if it really DOES matter on a street car; like Jeff said. Stocker/ sleeper doesn't have to look cool; it just IS.
Old 01-09-2005 | 01:51 AM
mark944turbo
Three Wheelin'

I made my own recessed headlights. Some sheet metal and plexiglass from home depot, jb weld, safety wire, a drill, heat gun, a jig saw, and a rotary grinding tool was all I needed. I used some round hella motorcycle headlights from the '70s with Icesharks bulbs and kit. The lighting is much worse, some of it gets blocked by the header panel. Anyone else notice this? It could be because my lights are round not square or rectangular.

I would post pics, but the setup looks god awful right now, the car needs to be painted touched up in front.
Old 01-09-2005 | 01:55 AM
CO944
Instructor

Being a VW tech I can share some troubleshooting info I use daily.
Seperate the issue.

-Switch to the relay
-Relay to the power source (This includes wiring to and from the fuses)
-Relay to the motor
-Relay to the ground

Those are your basic electrical steps.
Now take a DVOM or electrical tester like a fluke and
do a OHM's test on each wire from its origin to its destination
Checking for any resistance in the wiring. Odds are you will
find high resistance in one of the wires thus showing you
which wire is bad without gutting the entire internal/external
light wiring harness. In the event you find the culprit you can
run a overlay wire thus eliminating the issue.

If there is anything I have learned in the automobile electrical
world is that wiring does not hold up over time. I have mostly
early watercooled VW's so tracing electrical glitches and adding
new wiring modifications had yielded alot of wisdom.
Good luck and I will check back to see any results you find!
Old 01-09-2005 | 03:12 AM
Zero10
Race Car

That's pretty close to my plan of attack, but I need some help locating where I should be looking for connectors and such.
My first plan is to simply jumper out the switch, if I have no luck, then I'll start metering out the wiring.

Quick Reply: Stupid damn headlights have got me beat. Does anyone make affordable flushmounts?