Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid damn headlights have got me beat. Does anyone make affordable flushmounts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2005 | 11:36 PM
Redlyne_mr2
Racer

Default Stupid damn headlights have got me beat. Does anyone make affordable flushmounts?

For almost a year I havent been able to pop my headlights up. Ive checked:
switch, motor, harness near the motor, rotary switch and as much wiring under the dash that I can access. Anyways Its gotten to the point where I either have to bring the car in to get looked at or just say screw it and buy a flushmount setup. So here's the question where can I buy an affordable setup? Isnt the GT racing kit around 600usd? IM trying to stay within the price of what it might cost to have the problem diagnosed. IE around 3-4 hours at 90 dollars an hour.
thanks
Old 01-07-2005 | 11:40 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

BTDT. disconnect the motor and raise them manually. Sure , it's a hassle but cheaper than retrofitting bad lights in. I too have replaced everything and the problem is in my wiring harness.

Which reminds me- work on HID drop in replacements.
Old 01-07-2005 | 11:42 PM
michaelathome
Race Car

Can't you manually turn them up till you figure out the problem and disco the lead to the motor? I know having them up all the time would be irritating but it would work.

What is working and what isn't in your setup. Can you bypass the switch and get the lamps up/down using power?

Can you document what you have tried doing vs, what you have looked at? It helps us to try to troubleshoot w/you.

Michael
Old 01-08-2005 | 12:28 AM
Zero10
Race Car

Ryan, I wish I was able to track the problem down for you. It has been rather tricky. If it comes down to taking it into a shop, I'll take another crack at them, but I am warning you, it may involve some disassembly to trace the wiring. I had a few more thoughts about the headlight situation, but forgot to mention them to you on the phone.
Old 01-08-2005 | 12:53 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Page IceShark - he'll help you out. The end result will look better than those stupid-*** recessed light kits any day. I have yet to see one I like. I'm reasonably convinced there never will be one.
Old 01-08-2005 | 01:21 AM
Redlyne_mr2
Racer

Yeah Im not a huge fan of the flushmounts either but im sort of stuck. BTw Porsche- O -Phile your white 951 with the fuchs is hot..wow!

Chris thanks for the offer again, let me know what we can do.

The problem is not the motor or motor relay. We swapped in a verified working motor and nothing happened.

It lies somewhere in the wiring between the harness going to the motor and the rotary switch. When I wigle the wires after the rotary motor under the dash you can hear the relay click and something happen but they dont go up.

ALso when I put the headlights on and then flip them up manually it feels almost as if its being assisted by a tiny bit of power.
Im not sure if Id rather pay 400+ to have a shop find this problem or just get a flushmount kit

Old 01-08-2005 | 01:50 AM
Matt H
Race Director

FWIW, to make the flush mount kit look worth a sh*t is going to be very time consuming or dollar consuming, you choose. I love it and cant wait to do it, soon, I tell you soon (maybe 30 days) but mainly for deleting the headlight garbage.
Old 01-08-2005 | 02:13 AM
Zero10
Race Car

Good thinking about talking with IceShark, he's the most knowledgable on this topic.
Let's see what IceShark says about them, then we'll hunt down the problem. I don't remember seeing anything really out of place when I was looking under there. We'll try jumpering out the switch and a few things like that.
Old 01-08-2005 | 03:09 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt H
FWIW, to make the flush mount kit look worth a sh*t is going to be very time consuming or dollar consuming, you choose. I love it and cant wait to do it, soon, I tell you soon (maybe 30 days) but mainly for deleting the headlight garbage.
Freaking purists..

Matt, I'm also working on Much brighter LED taillights.. So, it's kinda bling. BUT...

It's mostly safety- I'd hate to get ***-ended. It would "total" my baby.

And she means too much to me. I'd hate to lose her to some a-hole who wasnt paying attention.
Old 01-08-2005 | 03:25 AM
FletchDM
Instructor

This is probably way too obvious but, since I don't see it mentioned... have you checked the fuses? There are separate fuses for raising and lowering the lights. I was re-assembling my lights one day and afterwards the lights would go up but not down. Turns out I'd blown the "down" fuse when hooking up the power leads to the motor. Yet another reason to disconnect the battery when working on the car.

Hope you find the answer...
-David
Old 01-08-2005 | 08:59 AM
Steve PH
Instructor

In reply to.
________________________________________________________________________ ____________
ALso when I put the headlights on and then flip them up manually it feels almost as if its being assisted by a tiny bit of power.
________________________________________________________________________ ____________

Yeah I've noticed that playing with mine, I actually think that effect is caused by the weight of the bar and the way the system is geared. I don't think its under power when that happens.
Old 01-08-2005 | 09:04 AM
BigRed
Pro

I also have to manually raise/lower my lights.

IMO the recessed headlights look pretty good. I want headlights like the early Integra (two small round headlights) but recessed under a nice glass cover. I think it looks better recessed...never been a fan of the pop up headlights...
Old 01-08-2005 | 03:03 PM
Zero10
Race Car

We checked all fuses. He gets around 6V at the headlight motor, and different pins have power than on my motor connector.
I don't know the best way to explain it, so maybe I'll make some kind of diagram later. It seems like something really odd is going on with the wiring. We've ruled out the switch, motor, relay, etc.
Old 01-08-2005 | 03:17 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Redlyne_mr2
Im not sure if Id rather pay 400+ to have a shop find this problem or just get a flushmount kit

What makes you think it would cost $400 to fix it? It can't be a complex problem, you just need someone who understands electrics to diagnose it.

Please don't screw up your car by adding some ugly aftermarket kit. Get it fixed right.
Old 01-08-2005 | 04:29 PM
Redlyne_mr2
Racer

LOl I appreciate the feedback man, it is kind of gay I know but Im just worried about pissing alot of money away on some repair job. If I were to get those lights Id have a yellow film added like the GT cars...if that makes it nicer lol.
Zero10 is a 944 genius and he still couldnt source out the issue. WE dont have enough current going to the motor. not sure

Quick Reply: Stupid damn headlights have got me beat. Does anyone make affordable flushmounts?