Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Group Buy, custom keyhead - Initial interest check

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 06:13 PM
SharkSkin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Group Buy, custom keyhead - Initial interest check

I have in mind a replacement keyhead for Porsches that is made of two genuine Porsche 356 hood badges back-to-back. I made plastic copies of the hood badges to make the clay mock-up in the pic below:

I know that looks like crap, but there are clearance issues with the recessed ignition cylinder on the 928 and I wanted to be sure it would work, and I'm not ready to chop up the real hood badges yet. The design is evolving toward a titanium keyhead that is 2-3mm thinner than my mock-up, and more streamlined near where the tip of the crest meets the key shank. I started a thread in the 928 section on this, and subsequently realized that if I made the keyhead as a replacement for the Porsche lighted keyhead then it could be a single product applicable to most if not all P-cars.

So, now I'm cross-posting this link to see if there is more interest than just the few 928 owners that have expressed interest. Please reply on the thread linked above. If this and other cross-posts can be made sticky that's great, but if not I'll just do my best to keep them bumped for a while.

Old 12-30-2004, 09:37 PM
bloodraven
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

depends on the price....then I might...
Old 12-31-2004, 12:52 AM
meanmaroon951
Racer

.... i like the original, over that ..... sorry .. even if it was nice .. its kinda ricey actually
Old 12-31-2004, 04:29 AM
SharkSkin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by meanmaroon951
.... i like the original, over that ..... sorry .. even if it was nice .. its kinda ricey actually
Hmmm... so, whaddaya think, is this ricey too?

Old 12-31-2004, 09:02 AM
Got Me a Porsha
Racer

Originally Posted by SharkSkin
Hmmm... so, whaddaya think, is this ricey too?

If it lights up, then...yes.
Old 12-31-2004, 12:26 PM
ckathens
Drifting

Dave's wheels are pretty cool and not ricey at all if you actually see them on his car..

Dave, you up for a possible fun run sometime in January or maybe early Feb? I'm thinking about trying to organize another one..
Old 12-31-2004, 02:09 PM
father2nate
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ckathens
Dave, you up for a possible fun run sometime in January or maybe early Feb? I'm thinking about trying to organize another one..

I'm in - for the run and possibly the key if it turns out - and depending on the price.
Old 12-31-2004, 04:16 PM
SharkSkin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Got Me a Porsha
If it lights up, then...yes.

Now THAT's funny... No, my center caps don't light up. They did inspire me to come up with this key head/key fob idea though, which BTW also will not light up. The idea is to make a keyhead/fob of such quality that it can be used and re-used, and could probably outlast several P-cars... you would just change out the key shank as needed... or if you sold all of your P-cars, you could still use it as a key fob.

Steve(or is that Katarina?) I'd be up for a run. Maybe even before then. Usually when I get the bug to go drive, I'm gone.... but I'll try to give myself enough notice to send you a PM next time. Also, consider posting the date on the 928 forum... we all love excuses to take our sharks out for a swim!
Old 12-31-2004, 04:43 PM
jurg
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks nice and very smilar to this
Attached Images  
Old 12-31-2004, 05:23 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally I'd rather have a smaller key head rather than a larger one. I like the idea of a more durable one however as I've gone through several of the OEM plastic ones. I guess width & length doesn't bother me that much, but it really must be THIN (ideally barely thicker than the key itself). I guess the biggest downside to making it smaller is you would have to manufacture something similar to a 356 hood badge.
Old 12-31-2004, 05:49 PM
SharkSkin
Rennlist Member

Scoot, we do intend to make it as thin as possible, but at best I think it will be as thick as the lighted keyhead. There has to be room for the mechanism to attach the shank. The 928 key is already 4mm thick, and I expect the finished product to be at least 7-8mm thick. Due to curvature, the hood crest itself is 3mm thick or so.... I don't have the crests here anymore, so I can't double-check.

Also, trying to manufacture the badge in another size is out of the question IMO. Porsche can't say much(if anything) about how I use a hood badge I buy from them. If I begin to make my own duplicates of the design, I'm in trouble... so, no way.
Old 01-01-2005, 07:02 PM
ckathens
Drifting

Dave-

Glad to see you're up for a run. If or when I organize something, i'll be sure to post msgs in all the individual forums here (even the 996/997 groups!), the 968.net forums, and the NorCal928 board.

What i really think we need to do is have some sort of centralized list of all the P-Car enthusiasts in the Bay Area who like to go on "fun runs". Maybe an announcements-only (events, etc..), opt-in, highly regulated Bay Area P-Car Enthusiasts mailing list is in order?
Old 01-01-2005, 08:13 PM
SharkSkin
Rennlist Member

Steve, check out http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/BayAreaRennGroup/ That is probably a good place to start, as it was set up for this purpose.
Old 01-02-2005, 02:18 AM
ckathens
Drifting

wow ask and ye shall receive. Thanks Dave

Quick Reply: Group Buy, custom keyhead - Initial interest check