Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944, Driver Door, Idle, Oil Pressure, Strange starting

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 10:12 AM
sonnenschein987
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 944, Driver Door, Idle, Oil Pressure, Strange starting

Hello together,

I am new to Porsche 944 (83'). It's nice driving but since I baught it (4 weeks ago) I am running from one problem to the next. At the moment this is my main problem:

--DRIVER DOOR--
My driver door does not open any more. It is locked and I can't unlock it in any possible way (key ****, inside handle). The **** move a little up and down, but then it seems to hang.

Does anyone have a solutions?

--IDLE--
Then the idle. I was able to adjust it a little bit (I had to) but I have still the problem that sometime the idle goes down to 400-600 rpm (I set it to 900, before it was 600).

--OIL PRESSURE--
Coming with the strange idle (400-600) the oil pressure drops down very much, around 1, and/or it flickers, which means that it is around a mark, lets say 2 and jumping up and down about half a point (only when in idle). If this occurs, the oil pressure is lower when driving then usual, also it seems that the engine has far less power.

--STRANGE STARTING--
Usually it starts perfectly (for a 21 year old car). If I stop for a short time and try to reawake the engine it is very difficult and very often when it starts it seems to run very bad. It has no power at all.

So, that's more or less all. I would be very happy if anybody could help me

Thanks

Thomas
Old 12-30-2004, 10:14 AM
sonnenschein987
Intermediate

And before I forget it, I have a little oil on top of the engine, how can I solve this.

Just to mention, I knew that I have to put money in the car, the vacuum hoses are replaced, but somehow my budget is running low.

Thx again

Thomas
Old 12-30-2004, 11:34 AM
icat
Race Car

Sounds like you still have a vacuum leak. Take a close look at the J boot to see if it has any cracks - it is a common area for the leak to occur at.
Old 12-30-2004, 11:40 AM
tod84944
Drifting

Where are you located? Sometimes if there is a Rennlist member near, they will be willing to help o out. Do as icat described. Check the j-boot really close. Also, to get you started, get a Chilton manual. It gives a pretty decent description on how to trouble shoot problems.
It does sound like a vacume leak, but, it could also be a fuel problem. When was the last time the fuel filter was changed?
Old 12-30-2004, 03:17 PM
sonnenschein987
Intermediate

Hi, I am from Knoxville, TN area. I have a good rennlist contact here, who helped me so much, that I don't want to bother him with all these questions. He also had a look at my car last weekend.

As a matter of fact I have not really tools here (I am new here) so I will probably have to pass it to a workshop.

The door seems to be clear now, inside is something broken, that blocks the unlock mechanism. But my real problem is, how to access this part, I have no idea how to open the door.

When I give it to the servece, I will ask them to check all the vacuum hoses again. If the j-boot is the big rubber part between the air filter and the engine, this has no hole, I looked really very very close.

I would say there must be something else. But there are too many possibilities. The connector of the oxygen sensor of the exhaust is nearly broken, can this come from this? And I will check the fuel filter.

For now,

thank you all very much

Thomas
Old 12-30-2004, 03:27 PM
icat
Race Car

Assuming the crack is not in the J boot (you are correct on the "big rubber part" description), then I would recheck the vacuum hoses for a leak. If these all check out, then there could be a blown gasket on the intake manifold. Look at each runner where the intake attaches to the head. If any part of the gasket on any one of the runners is blown then you will get similiar symptoms to those you described.
You mentioned that you looked at the J boot for a hole and didn't find any. The rubber boot generally cracks - there will not be a "hole" that is visable. You may need to remove the J boot and look inside with a strong light source to see the crack.
As for the door - that's a bit tougher. If you could remove the door panel you could get to the door mechanism easily - but you can not remove it with the door closed. Might try to see if anyone in your area can use a "slim jim" to open the door for you. I suspect that the actuator rod has come undone - but that generally will not keep you from using the inside door handle to open the door.
Old 12-30-2004, 06:01 PM
sonnenschein987
Intermediate

The inside door handle seems to be off completely, more or less like the outer one, the resistance is very low when you press them (compared to the right door). Also I tried to come a little bit closer, I have a good example with the right door, and the metal piece from the inner door lock seems to be loose completely.

Lets hope this problem can be solved, a not perfectly running engine is one thing (that has to be done), but entering the car from the right side is somehow english but possible.

Thanks so far

Thomas
Old 12-30-2004, 06:32 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

How did you adjust the idle? Make sure you didn't adjust the idle mixture instead. I recommend you get that car to someone who knows what they are looking at and sometimes 15 minutes of experienced eye can save you 100s of dollars and countless hours of misery.

Quick Reply: 944, Driver Door, Idle, Oil Pressure, Strange starting