Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 Performance Upgrades Garanteed

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2004, 08:34 PM
jonnybgood
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up 3 Performance Upgrades Garanteed

In the past year of ownership I have had the experience of repairing/restoring my car to it original condition. As far as the engine is concerned it is stock and I have not added any aftermarket performance upgrades. I have done repairs after which I have noted a marked increase in performance and my car is running much better than it did a year ago. Here is a list of upgrades you can perform or check that if they are not up to what Porsche intended you are loosing power.
1. New vacuum lines - You really think those 15 year plus rubber connectors are doing their job? Think again. I installed a MySwiss vacuum line upgrade that uses new silicon tubing with brass barbed connectors and I truly felt much greater eagerness in my acceleration and overall running.

2. DME Temp Sensor (NTC) - I recently had a DME wiring harness meltdown and when I removed the connector for the NTC half of the sensor came off. Somehow it had melted or deteiorated and was not functioning. There are two temperatrue sensors and just because you have temp indication on your instruments does not mean that your NTC is functional. There is one for the instruments and one for the DME. Along with my great replacement wiring harness from 944Ecology I asked for a replacement NTC sensor. Since the DME was not getting this signal it was running the emergency map which is geared toward keeping the car running and not performance. I am also looking forward to better mileage because the DME defaults to a cold or rich mixture with an open NTC. Surprising I passed California emissions in this condition.

3. Throttle Position Sensor - This switch is mostly known for its importance at idle. Included in the sensor is another switch at about 2/3 throttle position that is used for the DME called wide open throttle (WOT). It indicates to the DME that the driver is serious about acceleration and dumps in more fuel. I knew my WOT was bad so I had George at 944Ecology send a position sensor along with the harness. I can now feel the point at which the DME gets this signal and there is a noticable increase in power from the engine that pushes me further back in my seat.
With these three items performing correctly my car is running much much better and I am no longer regretting purchasing an S instead of an S2. I am sure this information is old material to the older Rennlist members but I see so many noobs that I thought I would post about it for them. Half the battle for more performance with these cars is to insure that they are running at factory specs first.
Old 12-28-2004, 08:48 PM
my87944s
Racer

I want to thank you very much for this information... I will start with the vacuum lines.
Thanks again!!!
Terry
Old 12-28-2004, 09:07 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Vacuum lines were already on my Spring to-do list!
Old 12-28-2004, 09:18 PM
Mark-87-951
Burning Brakes

I hope to install the MySwiss vacuum line kit this week. Great info - thanks!

In notice that my car smells a bit rich most of the time yet I passed emissions. I'll have to check the things you mentioned.
Old 12-28-2004, 09:57 PM
jonnybgood
Burning Brakes

MySwiss originally developed his kit for the Turbo but he also sells one for the NA that is less expensive.

There are procedures in the factory service manual for testing the NTC and wide open throttle switch.

good luck
Old 12-28-2004, 10:36 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Vaccum leaks will kill these cars. I discovered this within an hour of buying my first 944. . . A very small, hairline crack in one of the stock "Y" connectors by the fuel pressure dampener made the car lurch and buck so bad I thought it was going to knock my fillings out. The leak was so small and unnoticeable I didn't realize it until later. The moment I fixed it the car ran like brand new.

Ditto on a 951 - there's more vaccum junk on those cars than words can do justice to. Replace the entire mess. In my recent "why don't I have boost" saga, I replaced every single POS plastic hose in that car with the purosil / brass "T" setup. Works great. I now have the same setup on the n/a car. Nary a problem nor hiccup. Well worth the money. I suspect the myswiss ones are just as good.
Old 12-28-2004, 10:47 PM
brad-cam
Burning Brakes

Jon, excellent advice - sounds like you have that nice S of yours back on the road after that last meltdown ! I have replaced all the items you mention, and together these fixes do indeed bring back that smooth new-car feel !!
Old 12-28-2004, 11:05 PM
jonnybgood
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by brad-cam
Jon, excellent advice - sounds like you have that nice S of yours back on the road after that last meltdown !
Thanks Brad. I think I faired pretty well considering the smoke I produced with that stupid power steering wire shorted out. I had just changed the oil filter a few days before and must have knocked the wire loose from the tie wraps. Anyway it was good to get the intake manifold off and clean up under there. Replaced knock sensors and as mentioned the TPS and DME Temp sensor. Runs beautiful except at idle where it dies most of the time. I cleaned the ISV with carb cleaner so I am replacing the chip with a Weltmeister off eBay to see if I can correct this. I had the same problem before the meltdown but now it is much worse. Also I am testing the oil pressure sensor as I now read 6 bar all the time I must have toasted that as well because that power steering wire was melted to the oil pressure wire in several places.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:08 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Vacuum lines, TPS, DME temp sensor - 10-4.
Just to add, I noticed a nice improvement after I cleaned my injectors with carb cleaner, an air compressor and my battery charger. I think the procedure is on clarksgarage.com.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:17 PM
jonnybgood
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
Vacuum lines, TPS, DME temp sensor - 10-4.
Just to add, I noticed a nice improvement after I cleaned my injectors with carb cleaner, an air compressor and my battery charger. I think the procedure is on clarksgarage.com.
Good point Porscheman. I have heard this helps a great deal too. The green "hat" on my #4 injector is split. I am surprised it still works. So this is on my to do list.
Old 12-29-2004, 12:54 AM
brad-cam
Burning Brakes

Jon, your idle problem is puzzling, especially since you replaced the TPS. Hopefully the chip helps, but I'm not sure exactly how it will, as the stock chip should work fine too. Did you put a vacuum gauge on it during idle to ensure there isn't still a vacuum leak ? Will it not idle at all, or does it
stumble, or cut out intermittently ?

One more thing - on the fuel injector cleaning, I had excellent service from www.witchhunter.com.
Old 12-29-2004, 01:26 AM
jonnybgood
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by brad-cam
Jon, your idle problem is puzzling, especially since you replaced the TPS. Hopefully the chip helps, but I'm not sure exactly how it will, as the stock chip should work fine too. Did you put a vacuum gauge on it during idle to ensure there isn't still a vacuum leak ? Will it not idle at all, or does it
stumble, or cut out intermittently ?
It will idle occasionally if I gently let off the gas until it gets to 1000 rpm and then it will stay there. Decelerating for a stop sign I have to heel and toe to keep it running. I have not put a vacuum gage on it, I will double check all connections. I have a replacement J tube to ISV rubber tube coming since the old one has some cracking. I covered the cracks with electrical tape for now and don't think it is leaking through there.

My thinking on the chip replacement is that perhaps the shorted wire damaged the ISV control? Why I think a chip will help is only based on Pete944's success with this solution for the same problem. He had shuddering on his S2 and it was corrected with a new chip install.
Old 12-29-2004, 01:33 AM
pearldrum944
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 14 Posts

I need to change out my vacuum lines as well. Sounds like something good to do this summer.

Last edited by pearldrum944; 12-29-2004 at 01:22 PM.
Old 12-29-2004, 05:15 AM
azmi951
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a sudden oddity at any acceleration on a road trip so when I got home I replaced ALL the vacuum lines with silicon ones. I eliminated the rubber with extreme prejuduce and it was all better. So replace all that mess, it isnt too expensive but make sure to secure the ends with small zip ties like on the fuel pressure regulator.
Old 12-29-2004, 08:40 AM
bader$
Burning Brakes

Where do you get this vacuum hose kit?

Quick Reply: 3 Performance Upgrades Garanteed