Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Central Lock Failure - Sort Of

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2004, 01:38 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Central Lock Failure - Sort Of

I just discovered my central locking system has sort of failed on my 88 951S.

The problem is the key in the left hand door (drivers) will lock and unlock both doors electronically as per normal operation. The right hand key will only lock and unlock itself electronically. The central locking switch will only lock and unlock the right door.

I have no clue how to test out the central lock brain under the steering column but the wiring harness looks OK as does the circuit board inside the box.

I did notice from the wiring diagram that the central locking is tied into the damn sunroof relay on two pins. I have a known bum sunroof relay so I wonder if this could be the problem? Can someone run out to their later model car and pull their sunroof relay and see if their central locking goes haywire like mine? If it does I guess it is time to buy an overpriced sunroof relay.

Thanks.
Old 12-28-2004, 02:07 PM
seb928s
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm if I read this right. There are little plastic piece that connects to the lock and the unit inside the door. If the one on the left door broke it would not unlock unless you have use the key there. Mine is broken on the driver side so I use the key there and it unlocks and locks but you I try the switch or the other door it won't this maybe something what you have. I wish I had a picture of the plastic piece to explain better.
Old 12-28-2004, 02:11 PM
Wade B
Cleveland Rocks
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by IceShark
Can someone run out to their later model car and pull their sunroof relay and see if their central locking goes haywire like mine? If it does I guess it is time to buy an overpriced sunroof relay.

Thanks.
I just pulled the sunroof relay in mine and the locks still performed like they are supposed to.

Round two?
Good luck!!
Old 12-28-2004, 02:40 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Ok, Wade pulls his sunroof and everything still works so I guess that shot in the dark missed.

Seb, is what you are saying is there is a plastic link piece in the door lock that links from the motor to the lock mechanism? I don't remember what it looks like in there. So, central lock and right hand door send the signal to the left motor OK, but the motor can't actuate the mechanical lock mechanism because this plastic piece is broken? But if I use the left hand lock it will still send the signal to both doors' motors, the right works fine, the left doesn't but because I have the key on that side it unlocks via manual pulling of the lock linkage?

Now that explaination would fit what I see happening. Ok, I'll go pull off the inside door pannel.

Thanks guys!
Old 12-28-2004, 02:51 PM
triscadek
Addict
Rennlist Member

Dan, I have some spare linkage arms around, also if the relay turns out to be bad and one from a 87 924S will work I have one of those as well.
Old 12-28-2004, 02:53 PM
my87944s
Racer

Kinda off topic... my 87944s has all the power options EXCEPT power door locks. Was this common?
Old 12-28-2004, 05:58 PM
seb928s
Three Wheelin'

Ice Shark the linkage if it's broken on one side it will only unlock with the key there. If you can hear the center locking system in the door move then when you unlock the other door then it's most likely the plastic linkage. It helps if you have another set of ears to help you out there but you have probably already removed the door panel by now.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:54 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Thanks, Seb, the plastic linkage is what was broken - I have it sitting in front of me.

Paul, thanks for the offers but I already ordered the new plastic linkage and it was only 3 bucks. I'm not sure if your sunroof relay will work. I need a number 944.615.117.02 If you have one of these I will gladly buy it from you. That goes for anyone else that has a working one before I pop $120 for a new one. OUCH! That won't happen till summer at the earliest.

I hate these plastic and electronic parts.
Old 12-28-2004, 08:36 PM
triscadek
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sorry, I just checked... the 924 has a different setup, the sunroof and the radio run together, different relay.
Old 12-28-2004, 09:03 PM
Charlie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

On Christmas eve my lever on the outer drivers side handle broke. Now I have to open the passenger door and reach over and open the drivers door. If anyone has a good deal on a drivers side outer handle with power locks please email me. Thanks

Charlie

charlesy@hiwaay.net
Old 12-28-2004, 10:28 PM
michaelathome
Race Car

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

OK. Here's the bit that I know from my '83. All of the early cars are based off the same manual locking assembly. The power lock mechanism is screwed in at the bottom of the door. If you are looking at the door jam you will see two or 3 screws about centered on the inside of the door jam below the latch. There is a metal rod about 3-4in in length that runs from the upper lock ***'y to the power ***'y at the botom of the door using 2 plastic elbow fittings. They are pretty easy to pop off if you are trying to and I can very easily see them aging and cracking if in regular use.

The only way to fix it will be to pull the inside door panel and the plastic door/weather seal to expose the hole in the door where they are at. There is a 4 to 5in diameter hole in the door frame that will allow you to see the and work on the lock ***'y.

In this listing you can clearly see the post that is intended to lock the upper lock assembly, the thing at the bottom should be the lock button.

I can't seem to find the correct lower, they are all missing the connecting rod.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33648

Good luck!

Michael

Last edited by michaelathome; 12-28-2004 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Correcting info on posting...
Old 12-29-2004, 05:23 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by seb928s
Ice Shark the linkage if it's broken on one side it will only unlock with the key there. If you can hear the center locking system in the door move then when you unlock the other door then it's most likely the plastic linkage. It helps if you have another set of ears to help you out there but you have probably already removed the door panel by now.
Been putting off fixing this problem in the S2. What is the PN for the plastic linkage? I think Dan posted the PN for the relay, correct? TIA
Old 12-29-2004, 10:43 AM
triscadek
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Charlie
On Christmas eve my lever on the outer drivers side handle broke. Now I have to open the passenger door and reach over and open the drivers door. If anyone has a good deal on a drivers side outer handle with power locks please email me. Thanks

Charlie

charlesy@hiwaay.net

I had one break and a little oil would have prevented it.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:20 AM
Charlie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

When I bought the car (about a year ago) the handles were very hard to push. I had pulled the handles and put white lithium grease on the moveable parts and this made them much easier to push. The lever was probably stressed or cracked from years of no lubrication.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:30 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Luis, the part number for the '88 951 left hand door linkage is 944.537.511.00

I don't know if this will be the same for a '90 S2 cab. I discovered that door and hatch linkages (the release cable for my rear hatch also snapped) can vary all over the map even within the same model year. The dealer isn't sure if the hatch cable we are going to get will be the correct one because even though there is a before and after serial number sometimes the factory had old parts laying around and used them on later serial number cars.

Quick Reply: Central Lock Failure - Sort Of