Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PPI Results Option Codes Page 2

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2004, 10:11 PM
Antonio951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PPI Results Option Codes Page 2

I got some of the results back today on the PPI.

Service advisor said the tec thought the car shuttered a little and might need a clutch.

There was some oil in front of the engine. She don’t know if it is a oil leak, oil filter was not on all the way or the previous oil change was sloppy. She said the oil needs to be changed along with a cleaning of the area to see if there is a leak.

The power steering reservoir is leaking along with the steering rack. Needs a new rack.

Window switch on the passenger side does not work.

Lights do not pop up when you turn them on.

Fog light lense cracked.

Windshield/headlamp washers don’t work.

Other then that the car is pretty nice, no body repair, no body panels appear like they have been replaced. No paint work, no rust(AZ car) and the wear and tear seems to be consistant with the mileage. I will get the full 2 page PPI tomorrow. I asked the seller about the clutch and he said he has had some work done to it but has to dig up the paperwork to see what it was. Im ok with the small things but I don’t know what the rack is going to cost to replace or reseal and the clutch I know is high. Also needs a belt/waterpump job.

What do you guys think? Should I get the car for 8000 maybe 7000 and spend 3000 or should I look for another clean 60-70k mile 951?

Last edited by Antonioali; 12-29-2004 at 09:15 PM.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:15 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts

none of those sound like abuse problems. guys drive for years with leaky racks. clutch is 12-1400 dollars.

might need a clutch and need are two different things. my S2 has the original clutch. Skoot bought my brothers 84 and we were told the clutch was replaced three years ago when the car had 32k miles on it. Skoot bought it with about 110k needing a clutch. he replaced the original 1984 clutch.

the other stuff in minor stuff that can be fixed at your leisure with used parts when you get around to finding them.

adjust the price and fix it at your leisure
Old 12-27-2004, 10:24 PM
ZV
Racer

Clutch will be a $2,000 job if you pay to have it done.

Window switches can be taken apart and cleaned.

Oil in the front of the engine could well be the seals. They should be replaced every time the belts are changed (every 30,000 miles). Belts sound like they'll need changing. Budget about $1,000 for that.

PS rack should be between $600 and $1,000.

Headlights are likely just the motor relay.

Dunno where to get a fog light lens.

Washers could be anything. Pump may not work or the tubing may be clogged, or disconnected somewhere, or the nozzles themselves could be clogged.

You're probably looking at about $4,000 to make the car decent. And I wouldn't call a car with that many flags on the PPI "clean".

Aaorn
Old 12-27-2004, 11:07 PM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

That sounds like a perfectly normal, used 944/951. Travis has the rack reseal kit available for cheap. The leaks could turn out to be very minor. Other than that, I'd say no real problems. You are going to change the belts anyway, so the front seals are not that much. If the clutch needs to be done, then the rear seal is right there. If you can get it for 7, do the work yourself, parts are gonna be what? $900-1200? You'll have yourself a nice turbo for under $10K. If those are the biggest problems, I say don't pass it, go for it.
Old 12-27-2004, 11:19 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There was some oil in front of the engine. She don’t know if it is a oil leak, oil filter was not on all the way or the previous oil change was sloppy. She said the oil needs to be changed along with a cleaning of the area to see if there is a leak.
I would certainly ask the seller to cover the cost of the oil change (I mean really 35 bucks!) and they can check it over. They make oil dyes if you are interested.

The power steering reservoir is leaking along with the steering rack. Needs a new rack.
Reservoir leaks are very common as are rack leaks. Travis makes a reseal kit. If you arent in to that sort of thing rebuilt racks are in the 250+ range, plus labor, plus alignment. Probably 600.00

Window switch on the passenger side does not work.
1 call to OK Foreign, 20 mins, and less than 50 bucks, fixed.

Lights do not pop up when you turn them on.
This is a problem if you plan to drive the car I would either ask that they find out why or you ask for some money off the sale price. Could be cheap (relay/fuse), could be more expensive (motor). Pretty easy to trouble shoot.

Fog light lense cracked.
Available all day long for less than 200 dollars. I have seen used go for less than 40 bucks before.

Windshield/headlamp washers don’t work.
Probably on the same circuit as the lamps but really who cares? Never seen a set that did work.
Old 12-28-2004, 12:00 AM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt H
Never seen a set that did work.

Shame. Mine work great
Old 12-28-2004, 01:44 AM
jyoon
Burning Brakes

imho it's too expensive. if you can do the work yourself, it might be ok, but you're gonna spend alot of money to fix those problems. the whole purpose of buying a low mileage car is so you don't have those problems isn't it? buy one that has records of the clutch changed, ps rack resealed or not leaking, timing belt/water pump changed and i think you'll save a bunch. also, i don't think the clutch should need replaced at 56K or whatever low mileage you stated.

hate to sound like a jerk and prevent you from buying the car, i'm just cheap i guess.

Last edited by jyoon; 12-28-2004 at 12:35 PM.
Old 12-28-2004, 01:47 AM
jyoon
Burning Brakes

oh, does the ac work? has it been converted? you saw my car before my accident, it was pretty nice. i paid $6600 for it.
Old 12-28-2004, 08:40 AM
Antonio951
Drifting

Ok, i got a email from the seller and he said he checked the records and Porsche repaired the clutch back in 12/01 when the car had 52,659 miles. They replace the master cylinder
and flushed the system. I think im going to go for it. Ill see if he takes 7000 for it. Get it here, get the belts and steering rack fixed. Fix the little small things myself and if the clutch is really that bad, ill take care of it summer time. My n/a had a shuttering clutch, i only drive the car once a week and don't do any abnormal shifting.
Old 12-28-2004, 09:11 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

When does the clutch shudder? If it is on a downshift when someone does not match the rev's, that is quite normal, IMHO, with a newer, decent spring-centered clutch on these cars.

Provided the clutch is fine, the rest of the stuff sounds straitforward for a DIY guy to take care of cheap. I know you don't do a lot of your own work, so consider getting the guy to knock the price down a little bit to reflect that. It all sounds like normal wear items for these cars........
Old 12-28-2004, 10:51 AM
JonT
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would value this:
"no body repair, no body panels appear like they have been replaced. No paint work, no rust(AZ car) and the wear and tear seems to be consistant with the mileage."
over the mechanical, easily fixable things you mention.
Buy it.

JonT
Old 12-28-2004, 11:27 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by JonT
I would value this:
"no body repair, no body panels appear like they have been replaced. No paint work, no rust(AZ car) and the wear and tear seems to be consistant with the mileage."
over the mechanical, easily fixable things you mention.
Buy it.

JonT
Exactly.

I bet the so called clutch problem is tired motor mounts.

I would rather have a clean car that was not abused over an abused car that was cleaned up with new parts added.

You know what you are looking for, and this car fits the bill. When I bought my gray S2 Dave and AndyK were with me. I was quibbling over $150 when dave smacked me upside the head and reminded me that I just found a very clean unabused car with low miles. Belts and clutch are "wear" items.

Consider this your smack upside the head
Old 12-28-2004, 12:26 PM
Antonio951
Drifting

Thanks Tom,
Im just waiting for the guy to call me back. I can get the belt, rollers, thermostat and steering rack not including the waterpump done for 1500. I think thats a pretty good price. Ill keep you guys posted.
Old 12-28-2004, 09:05 PM
Antonio951
Drifting

THE CAR IS MINE! Spoke to the seller today, we agreed on 7600 for the car. Im going to ship it here for 850, take it to Farmers auto to take care of the belts, steering rack and the other little things for 1700. I will post some pics when i get it. 10150 is not a bad price for a 86 951 with 58000 original miles, i think its pretty good. What do you guys think?

It has the original books and all the maintenance records.
Old 12-28-2004, 10:23 PM
Jerad
Pro

Congrats Antonio, sounds like a good deal for that low mileage and you will have some of the problem areas fixed. Btw, I paid 9500 for mine with just under 100k on the odo.

Quick Reply: PPI Results Option Codes Page 2