Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator/Coolant Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2004, 08:34 PM
peterjcb
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator/Coolant Question

This past summer I changed out my Waterpump/belts/rollers etc....and instead of filling the coolant back with anti-freeze, I added water instead. I wanted to give the cooling system a second flush out this winter when I added the anti-freeze.
A couple of weeks ago I flushed the cooling system out and put Zerox-G05 anti-freeze in and now I'm noticeing a small leak coming from a seam on the bottom of my radiator. Is this just a coincidence or is the leak being magnified by the addition of anti-freeze?

PS - Will JB weld work on sealing the small leak and do I need to pull the radiator and drain it to apply the JB weld? How well does it work or will I need a new radiator?
Old 12-22-2004, 12:31 AM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just coincidence I would say. I've never heard of antifreeze causing a leak, however, I have heard of leaks popping up when the system is being flushed. The cooling system can seal some minor leaks on it's own, that will recur when the system is disturbed.
Some here would probably say JB weld it, I personally would pull the rad, and solder it.
Old 12-22-2004, 01:10 PM
austin944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

If it's leaking at the plastic end caps I doubt that the leak can be permanently repaired. If I were doing the repair on the cheap, I would find a good used radiator, or let it run and hope that the leak re-plugs itself.
Old 12-22-2004, 02:42 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMHO, please.......don't use any type of radiator stop leak product to "quick fix" this leak. That stuff reeks havoc with the entire system. I'd consider just taking radiator out, take it to a radiator shop and have them pressure test it, find out exactly where its leaking, then make a real informed decision based on this. You could pressure test it yourself, if you have the inclination to, and or the equiptment. The only real problem with testing these using either route is, that a lot of shops cannot do a hot water test. Sometimes, a leak won't show up unless it is at higher temp. Good luck.
Old 12-22-2004, 02:56 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Granite 944
IMHO, please.......don't use any type of radiator stop leak product to "quick fix" this leak. That stuff reeks havoc with the entire system. I'd consider just taking radiator out, take it to a radiator shop and have them pressure test it, find out exactly where its leaking, then make a real informed decision based on this.
I second that and believe me, i was stupid enough to try it and it just screwed my water pump.........
Old 12-22-2004, 03:02 PM
cortez
Intermediate

I know it sounds extreme, but I'd consider just replacing the radiator. Consider, worst case scenario, you warp your head from an engine overheat... Now the price of a new rad isn't so high, is it?
Old 12-22-2004, 08:31 PM
Headhunter
Advanced

Vertexauto.com - get a new one for less than $250 shipped (and no, I have no affiliation with them). Instead of hunting down similiar leaks I replaced mine in under 2 hours in a parking lot.
Old 12-22-2004, 08:44 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by peterjcb
PS - Will JB weld work on sealing the small leak and do I need to pull the radiator and drain it to apply the JB weld? How well does it work or will I need a new radiator?
JB weld is utter crap.
Old 12-22-2004, 11:17 PM
peterjcb
Burning Brakes

I'll wait this out as it's not much of a leak right now. I'll pull the radiator in the spring or if it gets any worse and have a radiator shop take a look at it. Anyway, $250 isn't too bad for a new radiator if I end up needing one.

Quick Reply: Radiator/Coolant Question