Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

924/944/968 Online Magazine - Need Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2004, 07:24 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

while not a 944 guy.. im a SOW guy going to most of the gatherings, (and face it.. its a 944 world in sow), and i do write (im having an article published soon for the 912 registry magazine, and have 2 other articles in the works). i would be willing to lend any kind of help i can.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:33 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll contribute in any way I can (whatever that is).

We should get UDPride in on this to write a commentary page.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:58 PM
Micah
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

A couple of suggestions -

Perhaps call it "Waterpumpers" and feature the 928s as well. Those guys are pretty wild over there and it would add a second dimension to this whole thing. I guarantee they would be big on the idea.

I suppose you could also throw the current models in there... but there would be a huge market divide in the magazine if we featured 924s and 996s side-by-side. At the same time, GT and Purely Porsche pulls it off so I guess it's do-able. It would still have the potential to cancel out the grassroots aspect of the whole thing. And I doubt a Boxster owner would pick up a magazine with a 924 on the cover - even assuming they knew there were magazines out there about their "Porschhhh."

One of the things that would really draw people would be owner profiles - a couple of pages devoted to the story of one individual's car. Performance comparisons between chipsets, dynos, etc. would be owner-specific items as well and pretty fascinating. So would head to head reviews - e.g. performance comparisons between an NA, S, S2, Turbo and 968. It would certainly give people some good reading/debating with hard info about each model.

Sounds like a fantastic idea, and I would be more than willing to donate some $$$ to get it going...

Micah
Old 12-21-2004, 09:07 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

What would be the difference between the magazine and the content on Rennlist?

PS I am all for the concept and will help where I can, it seems like it would be a concentrated or collated Rennlist available content also in an electronic format. Perhaps the difference of being more focused or concentrated would be of enough benefit in itself?
Old 12-21-2004, 09:08 PM
NZ951
Race Director

PS in a tech way, paragon has a lot of the common tech procedures already...
Old 12-21-2004, 09:15 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

if its gonna have a cheesey name like water pumpers then it should be in german.. Wasser kühlte (water cooled). there isnt a german word i can find for pumper (we need christoph the 914 guy or nicole to assist for a better name).
Old 12-21-2004, 10:20 PM
Wade B
Cleveland Rocks
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by pete944
We should get UDPride in on this to write a commentary page.
In addition to his great writing skills and his "offbeat" style, Chris (UD to all of you) is a great photographer. Attention to detail and has great equipment.

Sounds like we have a lot of contributors. This might be fun.
Old 12-21-2004, 10:23 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

944Fanatic, good suggestions, thanks.

Todd - most certainly. Thanks for the offer, I will likely PM you in the morning

Hoffman - thanks as well, maybe we can have you do some editing work

Micah - I dont want anything other than 924/944/968 for the time being. That is already a lot of information to cover. Adding more models means that we have to add more people, more contributors, more everything. I will be trying to lay out a better plan in the near future.

NZ - there is a lot of things that have not/are not covered in the kind of tutorial/editorial format necessary for people to follow. I.e. there is loads of information here about engines but has anyone ever done a step by step engine teardown complete with pictures? You see my point? Additionally, you could search here forever. The goal here is to provide some entertainment and some in depth 944 value. Not to usurp Rennlist but to enhance it.

All - it seems like there is enough interest. For those of you that I will need to discuss setup with, I will contact you in the morning. Some of you I have been in contact with all day. I appreciate everyone's help and kind offers. As to the $$ donations, while they are a nice gesture, I dont think it is a good idea. When it is up and running , then maybe we can consider some "premium" option or something. E-zines are not terribly expensive so with the exceptions of parts to test, I am pretty sure that people donating time, skills, and parts will be plenty.

Tifosiman and myself have been working on a possible list of tech articles ranging from simple tasks to very complex (say brakes to engine overhaul). There are some "key" people to contact because they have experience in these things but I am pretty sure we can pull it off.

A huge thanks to everyone so far, keep the ideas coming and by all means the criticisms (that is the only way we will know, right). I am hopeful we can have a go at this fairly soon.
Old 12-21-2004, 10:29 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Well, I have some experience writing, and reviewing, so let me know where I can help. I probably have a few mods that I can share information on. Just let me know how you think I may contribute...
Old 12-21-2004, 10:57 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

While places like Clarks and Paragon have lots of good howtos, you can always have more pictures

A few other ideas I though of are extended series like suspension upgrade projects over the long term, reviews of tires, long term upgrade projects on upgrading 951s, and a "teaching area" that might cover things like driving skills, what apexes are, stuff like that for the newbies.
Old 12-22-2004, 11:05 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 944 Fanatic
I think these ideas are great and would also like to contribute in any way possible. I have written/edited a number of articles for various small publications, I would be happy to help.
Ideas in addition to what is listed above:

In depth 944 Cup coverage.

Racetrack Analysis: Each month, a contributor writes a peice with photos describing his/her favorite track.

We could also do 944-spec coverage too. We could have "featured Race car & driver" each month. between the 944 cup, ITS, PCA 944 and 951's there plenty of race cars to cover. I'd bet there is some fun and unique about each and every one of them.
Old 12-22-2004, 11:12 AM
Matt H
Race Director

M - you were on my list of folks to contact. I will get with you later today.
Old 12-22-2004, 12:09 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

All good stuff here. Looks like I better go out and buy a new digital camera (mine died an ugly death) so that I can document the power to manual steering rack projekt. May come in handy as a future article.......................

I think the 944 racing coverage would be a great department in the webzine.
Old 12-22-2004, 12:10 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

I have a few articles I have written up (tech articles and stories about driving events and whatnot) that I have held back from sending to the to local PCA folks that would probably be a good fit for this. Let me know when to send them and where...

Regards,

Quick Reply: 924/944/968 Online Magazine - Need Ideas