Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is my 924S suicidal?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2004 | 03:17 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Default is my 924S suicidal?

Alrighty. a while back, I had one of the belt cover bolts (one of the two) that holds the belt cover to the oil pump back out...terrorist bolt tried to sabotage my engine.

Well, tonight, the other one backed out!!!! I did ANOTHER parking lot repair this month! I would swear my car is suicidal...

Here's what I could've done better with the first one:
1) I should've realized that the bore is stripped, and shouldn't have put the bolt in to start with, and just had 3 holding the cover on

-or-
2) I should've used our Tap and Die set and re-tapped the bore and put a larger bolt in to hold it in place correctly

But the second one seated just fine! I have no idea how the damn thing backed out! Oh well... I'm running without an upper belt cover as of now because midnight repairs in parking lots aren't fun, so I didn't want to put it back on right now...

but hey, this car keeps life interesting!

I'm gonna re-seal the whole engine soon, just because it's leaking oil and coolant.... The coolant is coming from the oil cooler housing (No milkshake...I watch it like a hawk) and the oil is coming from the front main seal, the lower balance shaft, and possibly the oil pan. I'm ordering the set tomorrow from Paragon. When I have everything apart, I"m gonna re-tap the bolt holes and put larger bolts in, and LOCTITE THOSE F*CKERS DOWN!
Old 12-21-2004 | 06:04 AM
Danno
Race Director

"But the second one seated just fine! I have no idea how the damn thing backed out! Oh well... "

Yeah, worn-out threads will tend to case bolts to back out. I use blue Loctite on EVERYTHING. Sometimes red Loctite on internal engine parts I want to be sure won't go anywhere. Be sure to mark the finished bolt with nail-polish so you can verify with just a look that everything's been torqued down to spec.
Old 12-21-2004 | 08:34 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Danno
"But the second one seated just fine! I have no idea how the damn thing backed out! Oh well... "

Yeah, worn-out threads will tend to case bolts to back out. I use blue Loctite on EVERYTHING. Sometimes red Loctite on internal engine parts I want to be sure won't go anywhere. Be sure to mark the finished bolt with nail-polish so you can verify with just a look that everything's been torqued down to spec.
Yep I swear by blue loctite after my oil pan bolts backed out on thier own.. made me think about safety wire on some of the bolts..
Old 12-21-2004 | 12:28 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Good idea Danno...I'll do that when I re-seal the engine

Quick Reply: is my 924S suicidal?