Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

venting anger, but a few ?'s on 944/928 racing

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 04:00 AM
Jakerx
Hitsquad Ninja
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question venting anger, but a few ?'s on 944/928 racing

today an acquaintance of mine and i had a conversation regarding my plans in the morning for me to take my car to the shop and have it be properly tuned and retensioned at the 1500 new timing belt interval. when i said i would be doing that he asked me "why get it tuned? your car is the yugo of porsches, the 928 is like the pinto of p-cars." normally i just ignore these comments but he was dead serious with these comments. he proceeded to cite the 911's superiority and asked me how many RR championships porsche has won compared to FR. it rather pi$$ed me off so i decided i would vent here and take a bit of comfort and maybe get some information on past porsche racing results with the 944/951 or 928.

(FYI for everyone here who wants to turn this thread into a 944 n/a bashing thread or a 911 superiority thread don't do it. i don't want another one of those. it's juvenile. i'm just trying to ask a serious question here. for those of you who do that i hope pete or john d. deletes those posts.)

but what was the name of that pro racer who said the front engine p-cars were the best handling or something to that effect? maybe he said that he preffered those? i forget. maybe you guys can help.
Old 12-20-2004, 04:46 AM
TheRealLefty
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One name you can drop as a fan of 944's is the venerable Derek Bell. IIRC Bell drove one of the "original" LeMans cars, the first (or among the first) of his many endurance race assignments for the team. Bell shares good words about the 944's handling when he attends events like the Rennsport Reunion. If you're so inclined you might also share with your bud that the Fitch GT2 944 just won the SCCA Runoffs at Mid Ohio. Don't recall seeing any 911's on that list

Doc Bundy, Al Holbert and Bruce Jenner all drove 944s with good results and Fast Freddy Baker won the 24 Hours of Nelsons in a pre-production 86 Turbo. SCCA was so spooked by the 951 they regulated heavily against it, which is one of the reasons Porsche organized Rothman's Cup and Turbo Cup spec racing.
Old 12-20-2004, 07:41 AM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

What that guy needs is a ride in a strong 951.
After he changes his underwear, he'll shut up.
Old 12-20-2004, 08:03 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

well, the 944/24 series was built to replace the 912 and the 914 as affordable cars for the people. That however has nothing to do with the way they handle. I would take a 944 anyday over a 911 on the track with the same mods. Why is the 911 so imfamous? Well if you'd been making rear engined cars for fifty years and had a strict following and then began making front engined cars, how loyal would your people be? They stuck to their roots with alot of their racing program and production.
Old 12-20-2004, 08:51 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Jake, I don't think you should even try to hold a conversation with that individual on this subject. It's not worth the effort and stress that it will bring you. The 911 has been around for 40years, it's been Porsche's bread and butter and is the car that they are known for. Of course it has been raced extensively, so of course it will have more pedigree and accolades.

I wouldn't sweat it. Drive your car and work on it because you like it, and ignore those who would try to bring you down for it.
Old 12-20-2004, 09:36 AM
ericj001
Advanced

sounds like a case of wasserpumper envy to me, unfortunately its a common ailement of a small mind. causes include deep levels of personal insecurity (i paid 90k for my 911 and that "thing" might be faster, i cant handle that!!) ,Vanity (OMG how can he think hes cool in that old thing?image is EVERYTHING!!) ,and ofcourse Jealosy ( who does he think he is driving that porsche, he *must* think hes better than me so i have to insult him to put him in his place and make me feel better about myself!)

so what hes really saying when he insults your car is "dude, you are so cool, i wish i was you but ill never admit it, even to myself" take it as a compliment and leave him to his self created purgatory and insecurities...
Old 12-20-2004, 09:57 AM
awilson40
Three Wheelin'

Its like arguing politics or religon...you will seldom win. Just take comfort that we share your view
BTW, I was a die hard 911 guy. Like most, when I think Porsche...I think 911. I bought my 924 cuz it was all I could afford at the time. Then when I could afford a 911, I found that the 944 line was just so much more refined and more comfortable. Then I had to choose between 951 and 944S2.
I still jump in a 911 when I see one for sale and still prefer what I have. That said...I would still like to have one, but only if its not my only P-Car.
And its so much fun to spank an occasional 911 guy who sticks his nose in the air
Old 12-20-2004, 11:50 AM
GlenL
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Your acquaintance is an idiot and an ***.

Go to the PCA web site and look at race results. A good one was the Club Race at Road America last summer. Check out the placement of old, crusty 928s and 944s against new 911 cup cars. It's David vs Goliath in terms of money spent, and David does OK.

I'm often the only 928 on the track for DE and autoX. Doing well enough so no one questions that I'm out there. Adding a 944 N/A to the "race team" this year.
Old 12-20-2004, 11:54 AM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

probably the best known result was the 7th overall finish at LeMans in 1982 (or 81) with a 944 turbo, the predecessor for what we now drive.

i get irritated at these ignorant fools, too, but i try to blow it off. i like eric's approach
Old 12-20-2004, 12:03 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 113 Posts

I would not waste any time or gas on someone that ignorant and insulting. It's just not worth it. Enjoy your car and let him stew.

-Joel.
Old 12-20-2004, 12:03 PM
Chase72
Racer

Jake: it seems like idiotic comments abound this week--I just posted a thread where a co-worker was trying to compare his E30 M3 to my S2. I realize it's just not worth your frustration to try reasoning with the other guy. I have to say, I've driven a 911 and I've driven a 944--they're both different creatures, both with great attributes. I respect both, and one can't compare them unless it's for a specific trait (like 0-60). But then again, it's not comparing apples to apples anyway...

Rest assured, like the other guys on this thread, that the 944 is indeed worthy of the Stuttgart crest and also saved the company in the late 80's... All drivers mindful of their Porsche history should be thankful for that!
Old 12-20-2004, 06:08 PM
emoore924
Advanced

Jim Pasha said "The Porsche 924 is the best handling porsche in stock form..." or something like that. I think that is the quote you were looking for...
Old 12-20-2004, 06:19 PM
lilredpo
Pro

And he drives a what ??
Old 12-20-2004, 06:39 PM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't associate with people like that. If you can't avoid him and he dishes out any future comments, just say "okay" in a friendly sort of 'whatever-you-say-kiddo' tone of voice, and go about your day.

If involved in a conversation with other employees that he is a part of and your car becomes part of the conversation, refer to his Yugo/Pinto comment and stress it with every mention, for the rest of the time you work together. Make him wear his remark on his face. Whenever he or anyone else asks you a question about your car and he is present, at some point, always make a point to look over at him and throw in something like "or as this guy here would say, 'the yugo of Porsches'," in a light-hearted tone of voice that kind of mocks him. Whatever you do, don't get offended. Just tease him with his own words. Do it in a fun way.

After you annoy him several times with it, start calling him "Yugo Man" in a friendly tone whenever you encounter him and are forced not to ignore him. At this point, you will have not been initiating conversation with him for some time, avoiding him mostly, and will have painted his yugo/pinto comment on his face (metaphorically speaking). Now all you really have in common with this guy is his Yugo comment, so, given that this association is more prevalent than his name to you, when you see him, you greet him with the first thing that comes to your mind: "Hey Yugo Man!"
Old 12-20-2004, 07:57 PM
tod84944
Drifting

Jake,
What does that d.... drive? You can also remind him, that if was not for the 944, Porsche would have not had ANY money to develop the 911 in the 80's and up into the early 90's. They were still living off of the profits of the mid 80's 944 for a long time.

Quick Reply: venting anger, but a few ?'s on 944/928 racing