Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I've about had it!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2004, 07:36 AM
KenC
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I've about had it!

I'm about to give in to selling this horse as is! Problem is - I have to much $$$ in it. Would be great for the next guy!
I came home from work last night, and I blew the head gasket. Sounds like a "Harley" and lost a lot of coolant (No leaks) "sputters" at idle. My rennlist search shows it's probably a gasket, vs my bad OEM spark plug wires. I have new spark plugs (Bosch platinum +4's) I am systematically going to eliminate spark issues tomorrow.
There goes another 7+ hours of labor and $$$$ I just put a new timing belt + all belts, water pump etc... just 500 miles ago. NOW I'm taking it all off again to get to the gasket. Dam!!!
I did the, "while you are in there" thing: when I installed my clutch, but just how far do you take it! I figured I put over $5,000+ in this cars engine over the last 6 months. I have crossed the point of no return!!!!!!!!
I have had it, and to be honest - not impressed!
Old 12-19-2004, 07:52 AM
jonnybgood
Burning Brakes

Sorry to hear that. I have had some bad luck tonight too. I like the car too much to sell it but I know how frustrating it can be. At least I don't have to pull the head for my recent problem.
Old 12-19-2004, 08:48 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Ken, sorry to hear of your troubles..
Really, Try a new coil on the spark issue, mine still tested fine after failing while driving..
DONT use Bosch Plat 4's. Use regular coppers and gap thenm to the tag on the fender settings NOT THE MANUAL'S SPECS!. If you want my wrench's reason why I'll post it-it's too long for 7 am on a Sunday with no coffee..

See of you can locate the head gasket breach (outside leaking) and fluids mixing (Inside breach)
Tough luck.
Old 12-19-2004, 11:57 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

dude if you lost alot of coolant, unless you have a bad hose, check your oil, its prob the headgasket. Drain the remaining coolant and flush your oil out ASAP to keep from killing bearings...Dont worry about new plugs till your done w/ the gasket cuz the coolant will kill them fast.
Old 12-19-2004, 04:20 PM
daniel951
Race Car

sorry to hear about it ken but i have had more problems then that and look i still have the car and i am broke. The headgasket job didn't take me to long which it is pretty easy as long as u know what u are doing or follow instructions. Let me know if i can help in any way.
Old 12-19-2004, 05:52 PM
Mr. Avionics
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds similar Ken. This spring it was the clutch, did the clutch and a bunch of other stuff as the car had just turned over 100,000 miles. Made it thru the summer without much problem. About a month ago it started running hot. Well last weekend got another radiator, no help. Figured the water pump, it's about 3 years old. This weekend pulled the plugs and low and behold, No. 2 had the nicest white color on the electrode. Did a compression test, all came out ok but suspect the head gasket. Pulled the water pump, it was fine. So pulled the head yesterday, couldn't really see any place where it might have been leaking, it was very slight. So replaced the head gasket, and also the waterpump. belts done last spring. Got it all back together today, fired the ****** up and WOW, now running better than ever and also alot COOOOLER than it ever has. Hope that takes care of all the little/big problems for a while. Maby now I can start doing some mod's instead of just fixing the things that keep breaking.
Hang in there, there is light at the end of the tunnel, and it's not necessarily a train.
Bill
Old 12-19-2004, 06:51 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,381 Likes on 509 Posts

TIME FOR A V8.
Old 12-19-2004, 08:40 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yup, toss those bosch platinums in the garbage. Sorry to hear about the headgasket, but it isnt a horrible job to do.
Old 12-19-2004, 08:53 PM
Uranium-235
Three Wheelin'

On the N/A, without valve damage, it should only take around 3 hours and $130 for a head set. Don't fret, the end result is worth it.

KenC, do you have another car to drive? Sometimes, taking a break to relax can really help.
Old 12-19-2004, 08:58 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 116 Likes on 84 Posts

Ken,
If you get too fed up, I found out GM Card earnings would have thrown an additional 3000 into my GTO if I waited four days to buy the car.

They are going for under 25k before the earnings. If you want one and can do the deal before 1/3 we can work something out with the 3000 they said I can use towards another 2004 GTO
Old 12-19-2004, 09:05 PM
Russian Rocket
Pro

Sorry about your trouble. When i was changing my motor mounts(cut myself like 10 times and threw out my wrist) i actually decided to donate my 944 to FD and get my money back via a tax return. I wanted to do that only because i wanted to TORCH the damn thing and CUT IT up with every tool there is on the truck. relaxation helps, drink some beer
On a side note this thread reminds me of a divorsed women get together
Old 12-20-2004, 01:35 AM
KenC
Addict
Rennlist Member

You guys are right! A beer does the trick....I've calmed down and know that I'm keeping the car. I do have another vehicle to drive (Jeep)
I made a vow several years ago that I wasn't gong to sell off anything again, due to loss of interest. Because it always come back. Never wanting to say "Yeah I HAD one of those, but sold it"
Sold a 27' Fountain - Fever powerboat 2 years ago, and almost faint when I now think about it! What was I thinking!

Tom R.: Your offer is Very cool. The GTO just won a car show I was at last month. Quite a hot car..enjoy.

daniel951: Thanks bud!

Quick Reply: I've about had it!