Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stalled on the highway... advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2004, 01:08 AM
Stan944
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy stalled on the highway... advice needed

This morning my 944 stalled while driving at highway speed. It's the first time it happened. Had it towed back home. Couldn't start it back. Ironically, the engine started this evening, so I have an intermittent problem (I hate this kind).

I'm not sure what to do now. I tried searching, and found a few similar case, but it seemed like the problems didn't get fixed completely.

Possibilities the way I see it:
1) electrical
2) fuel delivery

Actually, a few days earlier I couldn't start the car, but depressed the gas pedal while cranking, and it started.

I suspect I have dirty fuel tank (although I put a new fuel filter a while ago). I want to clean it. I think I should remove the fuel level sensor, and use a long brash to move dirt away through the (disconnected) hose to the fuel pump.
By the way, can I replace this rubber hose with a close SAE size?
Any hints on how to clean the fuel tank?

My fuel pump was buzzing for a few months now. Could there be some thermal fuse in it that engaged when the pump couldn't handle it, but "let go" after a few hours?

I should inspect the DME relay for half-broken solderings...

In any case, I feel rather desperate here, so HELP.
Thanks
Old 12-18-2004, 01:18 AM
ODUporschegurl
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my car also stalled on highway last weekend. however restarted fine. it will be visiting dads shop @ home tomorrow(if i can make it the 3 hours)
Old 12-18-2004, 01:23 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try switching the DME relay, a rennlister on the Turboo and Turbo S board had his car stall when doing 140mph

Turned out to be a dying DME relay, try that first.
Old 12-18-2004, 01:28 AM
Stan944
Burning Brakes

OK, I'll get a new DME relay. I don't think I can get it in a local store, so I'll have to order it from a dealer. But since a weekend is coming (dealers don't work on the weekends), any advice for THIS weekend?
Old 12-18-2004, 12:10 PM
phil0618
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi,

I had the same type of problem and did extensive research on the forum. The top three recomendations from our fellow rennlisters were (in rough order)
1. DME relay - some even suggest having a spare one around
2. Speed ref sensors
3. Fuel Pressure Regulator

My symptoms were 2
1. A couple times while driving at highway speeds the car just died for no reason.
2. I would drive the car long enough to get it hot (say 15+ minutes) then shut if off and then when I tried to restart immediately it would not start. Wait ten minutes for things to cool and Voila! it would start right up.

I replaced the DME and FPR at the same time and have not seen a recurrance of either issue.

Some have luck by tapping the DME with something solid a few times and some have had luck by fiddling with the ref sensor wires which I believe are near the firewall above the bell housing.

Best of Luck!

Phil
Old 12-18-2004, 12:28 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

This happened to me and was caused by the speed ref sensors.

Since it restarted after sitting, it could those or the DME relay failing when hot and then working when cool.

Try both. DME relay iseasier and cheaper.
Old 12-18-2004, 12:38 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I would suspect poor voltage at the plugs as well. Check your coil.
Old 12-18-2004, 12:50 PM
KLR
Rennlist Member

Very high probability that it's the DME relay, but, besides the above suggestions, it could also be the ECU itself. If tapping on the computer allows the car to start again the next time this happens, you have a cold solder joint in there and can usually address it by reheating all of the joints. I'd bet on the DME relay, though, particularly if it's still original. I carry two used spares that I know work just in case.
Old 12-18-2004, 01:27 PM
Stan944
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys:
After reading above, I think a good option for me is to install new:
DME relay
fuel pressure regulator
Afterall, my symptoms look like the beginning of what Phil saw...

Is the fuel pressure damper a suspect too?

Why speed reference sensor? The engine can run at stand-still. Or this is the jargon for the RPM sensor above the flywheel? I know there are two "sensors" that plug to the belhousing. Is it what you guys are talking about?

The coil? I don't think I know how to check it for intermediate problems. I guess next time it happens, I could unplug a wire to the spark plug, and check for the spark by cranking the engine. But I don't think I can do it alone (I commute to work all by myself), or there is a trick?

I could tap the ECU next time it happens.
Old 12-18-2004, 01:38 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Trust me on the reference sensors. I don't know the exact reason, but mine failed every now and then preventing the car from starting when warm. Let it sit for a couple of hours and it would start right up again.

I troubleshot it to them after trying the DME relay, testing the fuel pump, and pressure regulator.

I'm not saying that's it but try everything suggested. One of them should be your culprit.
Old 12-18-2004, 01:45 PM
Stan944
Burning Brakes

Daniel: ..just to confirm, you're talking the two sensors that plug at the top of the bellhousing?
Old 12-18-2004, 01:52 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Stan944
Daniel: ..just to confirm, you're talking the two sensors that plug at the top of the bellhousing?

Correct. Unfortunately, they are expensive so see if you can borrow a pair to troubleshoot instead of buying them.
Old 12-18-2004, 02:07 PM
Stan944
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by phil0618
Hi,
3. Fuel Pressure Regulator
Phil
Do I need some sealing compound, etc. to replace this pressure regulator, or it's just to mount in it after releasing the fuel pressure?
Old 12-19-2004, 01:14 AM
Stan944
Burning Brakes

Took it for a ride. Worked fine for 15 min, I stopped, and 15 minuted later I tried starting the engine - no luck... Repeated - still no. After 1 hour it started OK. Couldn't reproduce the problem in the garage when I got home.
Old 12-19-2004, 01:34 AM
Der Rennwagen
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the exact same problem you have on my early 1985 944 too. You would be driving along fine then nothing. Tach drops to zero and it won't restart. Wait an hour or so, fires right back up like nothing ever happened.

I did these items and it seems to have fixed it.

1. Replaced the DME relay with a new one.
2. Replaced the ignition switch with a new one.
3. Used dielectric grease and cleaned up the contacts on the 9-pin connector in the engine compartment above the brake booster. This connector services the fuel pump among other very important electrics.
4. Changed out both reference sensors with good used ones.
5. Replaced coil with a new one.

Quick Reply: stalled on the highway... advice needed