Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

launching 951's?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2004, 01:11 AM
Boricua944
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default launching 951's?

What exactly makes it so hard to get these cars off the line? I know there not big block V8's but theres some lil turbo imports that can get off the line pretty quick. Does it have to do with the distance of the turbochager from the manifold? (excuse my ignorance)
Old 12-17-2004, 01:26 AM
Mikeaagesen
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think part of the reason why is because the imports have higher compression ratios then we do. We have 8:1 ratio where as my old Honda had something like 9.5 or 10:1 IIRC. I think that helps while off boost. Also, people dont really like to launch these because it is known to break drivetrain components. I hear that CV's are a weak part and are prone to breaking easily. I am no expert however, so take my info with a grain of salt I guess...
Old 12-17-2004, 01:43 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's just a matter of technique. It's not like a V8-automatic where you just step on the gas, you have to balance the clutch and the throttle for maximum acceleration. Stock 951 builds boost very slowly in 1st gear, so if you let off the clutch and floor it, you'll creep along from 1000rpm to 4000rpm at a snail's pace until the boost hits and sends you off. But by that time, your competitor will have already crossed teh finish line. If you floor it and dump the clutch at the same time, you'll most likely spin the tyres into expensive puddles and again, your competitor will cross the line by the time you regain traction.

The best method I've found is to blip the throttle 100% on & off beforehand to spool up the turbo. Some people hold it at 4000rpm or 5000rpm, but that actualy doesn't build boost. There are launch-control boxes that use a rev-limit to hold full-throttle at a user-selectable RPM to build-boost. Then you keep throttle at about 75% when the light turns green and feather the clutch on release to get optimum wheel-slip. Then as the tyres gain traction you increase throttle to 100%. This gives you the best launch, but is tough on the clutch.

Here's a video of a 4.8s 0-60mph and 13.5s 1/4-mile run: QuarterMileTravis.avi. Needs the freeware basic DiVX codec: DivX download.
Old 12-17-2004, 02:25 AM
Boricua944
Pro

so are there any aftermarket products that help reduce that lag and give boost quicker off the line? any more vids... what kinda exhaust was that that?
Old 12-17-2004, 03:36 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Dont discount the 4WD of many imports. They manage mid 1 sec 60ft times. The best 60ft time I have managed is 2.4 with a bung clutch. You have to balance a rooted clutch with a lunched tranny...
Old 12-17-2004, 04:59 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

i thought torque had alot to do with it?
Old 12-17-2004, 09:53 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Why are you using a 951 as a drag / off-the-line type car anyway? If that's what you want, get a Mustang or a Camaro. The 951 is NOT a good drag car; you'll likely end up breaking a lot of expensive things to get mediocre results. My current 951 couldn't hold a candle to my old Mustang GT off the line, but after 2nd gear, it would kill it. In twisties, it would kill it, for top end, it would kill it. Understand what the car was built for - it's strengths and weaknesses and compete in the areas of your strength. Don't let a competitor lure you into a battle on "their turf".
Old 12-17-2004, 10:54 AM
Charlotte944
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have to agree with Porsche-O-Phile.

In my 53 years I've driven every thing from a Deuce-And-a- Half, to an Isetta. You have to keep in mind what a particular vehicle was built to do, and a 944 was not designed to pull hole shots.

Consequently, getting into a drag race with your 951 is like taking a knife to a gun fight; you're gonna loose, period.

Additionally, pulling hole shots in a 944 is just asking for trouble in that the ring and pinion gears in the tranny with "hand grenade", and then you're looking at major coinage for repairs.

Do your self a favor: Get some DE (Driver Education) events under your belt and then challenge your rivals to meet you on the track (which is where this belongs in the first place).
Old 12-17-2004, 10:54 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile
Why are you using a 951 as a drag / off-the-line type car anyway? If that's what you want, get a Mustang or a Camaro. The 951 is NOT a good drag car; you'll likely end up breaking a lot of expensive things to get mediocre results. My current 951 couldn't hold a candle to my old Mustang GT off the line, but after 2nd gear, it would kill it. In twisties, it would kill it, for top end, it would kill it. Understand what the car was built for - it's strengths and weaknesses and compete in the areas of your strength. Don't let a competitor lure you into a battle on "their turf".
I agree.
Launching any car with an independant rear suspension is NOT a good thing. For one thing, CV joints aren't made to handle hard launches.

-Z.

Last edited by Z-man; 12-17-2004 at 11:52 AM.
Old 12-17-2004, 10:55 AM
awilson40
Three Wheelin'

What he said -----^
Old 12-17-2004, 11:09 AM
Brian McCoy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Charlotte944
Consequently, getting into a drag race with your 951 is like taking a knife to a gun fight; you're gonna loose, period.
I hate that damn saying because it's about as untrue as it gets... if the knifeman is within 15~20 feet of the gunman. So the "your gonna lose, period" thing is 100% bunk.

Find another saying that has some truth/validity to it for your analogy, please.

Oh, and lose, not loose..... just FYI.
Old 12-17-2004, 11:55 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally Posted by Brian McCoy
I hate that damn saying because it's about as untrue as it gets... if the knifeman is within 15~20 feet of the gunman. So the "your gonna lose, period" thing is 100% bunk.

Find another saying that has some truth/validity to it for your analogy, please.

Oh, and lose, not loose..... just FYI.
Ok, taking a 951 to a drag race is like using a crowbar to open your car door - it will open, but there are better tools for the task, and you'll damage your door.

Or.... taking a 951 to a drag race is like your dog showing up at a dog fight with a doggie sweater and little booties on. (Ok, maybe not...)

Better?
-Z.
Old 12-17-2004, 12:15 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I bought a 74 camaro ($700) for less money than most people spend on transmission and labor to get 14.5 1/4 mile time. A stock 951 properly launched will probably not do much better if any.

As far as the knife to a gunfight is concerned, with equal skill on both sides, I trust my .45 over a knife at 15 to 20 feet because the knifer will not get within 5 feet of me. At 5 ft, I may get knifed but someone can get knifed and still empty a clip into the other guy. The movies show people dying immediately after getting shot or being knifed. Its just not true in most cases.
Old 12-17-2004, 12:26 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Legoland951
I bought a 74 camaro ($700) for less money than most people spend on transmission and labor to get 14.5 1/4 mile time. A stock 951 properly launched will probably not do much better if any.

As far as the knife to a gunfight is concerned, with equal skill on both sides, I trust my .45 over a knife at 15 to 20 feet because the knifer will not get within 5 feet of me. At 5 ft, I may get knifed but someone can get knifed and still empty a clip into the other guy. The movies show people dying immediately after getting shot or being knifed. Its just not true in most cases.
Depends on the skills of the knife-fighter and the gun-fighter. Guns don't aim themselves and neither do knives. Remember a gun can only fire in a straight line, a knife allows some creativity. A knife thrown into someone's jugular will put em down long enough to allow the knifer to take the gun from them!

Back to launching a 951 -- what if you start off nice and slow and then punch it? Sure you'll lose about 2 seconds but you won't hurt as many components on the vehicle.
Old 12-17-2004, 01:01 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally Posted by fpena944
Depends on the skills of the knife-fighter and the gun-fighter. Guns don't aim themselves and neither do knives. Remember a gun can only fire in a straight line, a knife allows some creativity. A knife thrown into someone's jugular will put em down long enough to allow the knifer to take the gun from them!
Is it bad practise to bring a dog to a knife / gun fight?

What if the dog is wearing a doggie sweater and booties?

What if I'm wearing a doggie sweater and booties?

Sorry, I'm just in that kinda mood... happens when I'm away from the track for an extended amount of time.

-Z.

PS: Forgot my keys at home today - now, where's that crowbar?

Quick Reply: launching 951's?