Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help me love....

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 01:11 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dont get worried about it. After about a week, maybe two you dont really notice it anymore. I drive my car with the PS belt off, and it doesnt bother me anymore, just cant drive one handed in parking lots. Daily driven like that as well.

Give it a week or two, depending on how much you drive it.
Old 12-13-2004, 01:12 AM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, power racks like to leak a lot.
Old 12-13-2004, 03:14 AM
shmucklebuckle
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Travis - sflraver
Ok, I am going to have to bust you on this one Chris...

Both the power and manual racks are direct drive. You move the wheel.. it physically moves the rack/tie rods/wheels. This makes one just as responsive to the driver as the other.
The power rack is only a power assist. The cool part about it is that the "assist" part goes away as you reach higher RPM's. So, in essence, with the power rack you have full assist at parking speed and almost no assist at higher RPMs. Both types will give you the same about of feedback when it counts (high RPM's) but only one will help you parallel park in the city.
Well, in his defense, he did say that it "feels" more responsive to him

feelings...

*shrugs*
Old 12-13-2004, 04:02 AM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

I'm considering trying a manual rack on the 944. However I drove a friend's neon with a manual rack the other week and really didnt care for it at all.
Old 12-13-2004, 04:45 AM
pearldrum944
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 14 Posts

I live by my signature....
Old 12-13-2004, 05:29 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

First off, what did you pay for this 83 944, if you don't mind telling us?

The 83 944 was my first Porsche, and indeed the manual steering was a bit stiff at first, but after a few weeks with it I was really enjoying it.

If you're not going to parallel park, you have nothing to worry about. Only time I ever recall the manual steering being an issue was when a girl I was dating asked to drive it and had a hard time getting the car in motion. Once the wheels get turning, it pretty effortless.

The 83 cars are special for several reasons. They were the first model year 944 offered in the U.S. and are relatively rare. Check the production figures in the 944 FAQ and you'll see there were substantially less 83s than 84s, for instance. Also, the engine came with forged rods and they're probably the lightest cars in the 944 series, since equipment wise they have the least amount of gimmicks (no power steering, no cruise, no power sunroof). The European version even had crank windows and optional A/C, whereas all the U.S. cars have power windows and A/C.

In summary, it's a great car and you probably bought it for not much money so if it's in decent mechanical condition, I'd have no buyer's remorse at all and be glad to have found such a neat car to own and love.
Old 12-13-2004, 07:28 AM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...53&postcount=6
Old 12-13-2004, 12:53 PM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

I liked the manual steering in my 83 (former daily driver). I think power steering is totally unnecessary on these cars. On my 85.5, I consider the power steering a luxury; it's nice, but I'd be equally happy without.
Old 12-13-2004, 01:39 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
First off, what did you pay for this 83 944, if you don't mind telling us?

The 83 944 was my first Porsche, and indeed the manual steering was a bit stiff at first, but after a few weeks with it I was really enjoying it.

If you're not going to parallel park, you have nothing to worry about. Only time I ever recall the manual steering being an issue was when a girl I was dating asked to drive it and had a hard time getting the car in motion. Once the wheels get turning, it pretty effortless.

The 83 cars are special for several reasons. They were the first model year 944 offered in the U.S. and are relatively rare. Check the production figures in the 944 FAQ and you'll see there were substantially less 83s than 84s, for instance. Also, the engine came with forged rods and they're probably the lightest cars in the 944 series, since equipment wise they have the least amount of gimmicks (no power steering, no cruise, no power sunroof). The European version even had crank windows and optional A/C, whereas all the U.S. cars have power windows and A/C.

In summary, it's a great car and you probably bought it for not much money so if it's in decent mechanical condition, I'd have no buyer's remorse at all and be glad to have found such a neat car to own and love.
I let a friend of mine drive my car around a parking lot so she could start learning stick... She didnt mind the steering (or lack there of ) and I dont think she stalled it once or launched it once. She actually had a lot of fun And another good girlfriend of mine got to drive my car, she had a blast but scared herself when the turbo hit in second She had a huge grin on her face for a while and was telling everyone "I GOT TO DRIVE A PORSCHE!" lol. Actually they were both doing that
Old 12-13-2004, 01:42 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

You will find that your 83 is incredibly responsive due to the lighter weight and lack of power steering. Parking is the only negative I can see but that also will become routine. I wish I had a manual rack on my 83, PS is nice around town but has a vague feel to it on the slower twisty roads, at higher speeds you'll never even feel the lack of PS. There are many here that will swap you out in a heartbeat so give it a good chance first. Glad to hear you made it out West, when are you headed North. Give yourself some time when you pick up the wheels I'd like to get a good look at your car.

Steve
Old 12-13-2004, 01:49 PM
RMills944
Drifting

father2nate, if you buy Tiffo's and switch, I'll buy your manual setup off you. I'm trying to convert the other way. All you need to do is mount the power steering resovoir, steering pump, and rack, then connect replace the bottom section of the steering shaft (it's a bit shorter of a knuckle on it) and fill it with fluid and attach a belt. I'm not sure if all the mounting holes for the resovoir are there or not, so you may have to drill 2-3 holes.
Old 12-13-2004, 07:18 PM
beatdown944
Advanced

I have a 83 and say leave it alone. It takes a little getting used to, give it a chance.
Old 12-15-2004, 03:52 AM
chitown928s4
Three Wheelin'

Well I initially had PS til my rack leaked out and I can honestly tell you I like the feel of the mock manual setup. Ill eventually remove the pump and hoses and pack the rack with grease this spring. Its a pain parking which I do a lot but nothing popeye arms won't fix. Its feels much tighter contrary to what some have said. The PS on the highway didnt feel right it felt to loose. Now its pretty tight. Give it time you'll come around.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:09 PM
chilix
Instructor

Look at it this way, your biceps will strengthen when you turn that wheel at a full stop!
Old 12-15-2004, 09:20 PM
Matt H
Race Director

I like it so much that I am removing the PS this weekend. Manual steering takes some time to get used to but I think you will like it. It is NOT like driving the PS system with no fluid.

FWIW, I have had a number of 944s and the one I currently have is the only one that the PS worked and didnt leak and I am STILL removing it.

Quick Reply: Please help me love....