Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help me love....

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 09:26 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both the power and manual racks are direct drive. You move the wheel.. it physically moves the rack/tie rods/wheels. This makes one just as responsive to the driver as the other.
Yeah, but the power steering system, by design, reduces the forces transmitted to the steering wheel. You don't get as much feedback from the tires, so you're not as "in touch" with what the car is doing.

A power steering rack with the belt disconnected/no fluid is harder to turn than a true manual rack.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:27 PM
Friendan
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

My 83 without p/s was a little different to get used to, I had a smooth turning 81 Mustang before that. But I actually preferred the feeling after a while, you are really more in touch with the car. Of course parallel parking was a biatch, but I got used to it just like anything else. When I got my 86 I was surprised to find power steering; I liked it, but I still missed the 83 sometimes for its handling.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:36 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I am on my second set of rack seals in 8 months!

I want to move to manual but its hard to justify when I have just spent monly on seals. Once it goes again I will go to manual rack.
Old 12-16-2004, 03:24 AM
Lechto
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can't beat the feel of the manual steering. It feels so good at high speeds.
Old 12-16-2004, 03:25 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

EVERY 944 I've seen with power steering has a nice gooey slurry of oily glop all over the rack, hoses, reservoir, and most of the front of the engine as a result. I for one would not miss it.
Old 12-16-2004, 03:31 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You know what'd be great - a clutch, like an a/c pulley type clutch that could toggle the power steering on or off. I bet that could be rigged up without too much difficulty also. You'd probably need a different belt (wider than the standard V-belt, more of a serpentine belt with the appropriate modification to the crank pulley), the clutch assembly off an old a/c compressor, and a switch in the cockpit. That'd just about do it. Perfect "manual" for high-speed twisties and "power" for close-quarters parking & manuvering. Minimal opportunity for leakage. I'm calling - my idea! If I can get a prototype made and working, who'd be interested?
Old 12-16-2004, 04:27 AM
Lechto
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A great idea, but for me just something else to worry about. I say just man up, or park really really fast.
Old 12-16-2004, 04:38 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jeff, my Supra had a vacuum-activated bypass-valve that lowered the pressure going from the pump to the rack. As RPMs increased, the pressure from the pump decreased, so that by 4000rpm, there was very little power-assist at all, perhaps only 10% of what it is at idle & parking speeds. Not quite speed-sensitive variable assist, but it worked pretty well. The RX-7 had some sort of true speed-sensitive variable power-assist, but I'm not sure how that worked. The NSX with its electrical assist has the best steering feel out of anything I've ever tried. Easy parallel parking, but incredible feel at a speed. You can tell the difference between a dime or a nickel when you run over it.
Old 12-26-2004, 03:36 AM
father2nate
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
First off, what did you pay for this 83 944, if you don't mind telling us?

The 83 944 was my first Porsche, and indeed the manual steering was a bit stiff at first, but after a few weeks with it I was really enjoying it.

If you're not going to parallel park, you have nothing to worry about. Only time I ever recall the manual steering being an issue was when a girl I was dating asked to drive it and had a hard time getting the car in motion. Once the wheels get turning, it pretty effortless.

The 83 cars are special for several reasons. They were the first model year 944 offered in the U.S. and are relatively rare. Check the production figures in the 944 FAQ and you'll see there were substantially less 83s than 84s, for instance. Also, the engine came with forged rods and they're probably the lightest cars in the 944 series, since equipment wise they have the least amount of gimmicks (no power steering, no cruise, no power sunroof). The European version even had crank windows and optional A/C, whereas all the U.S. cars have power windows and A/C.

In summary, it's a great car and you probably bought it for not much money so if it's in decent mechanical condition, I'd have no buyer's remorse at all and be glad to have found such a neat car to own and love.
Sorry, wasn't ignoring you. I just had to find and settle into my new house. I just got the DSL hooked up today.

About the car, it's still in LA. I will be picking it up this week. I paid $3400 for it. It is in very sound mechanical condition and needs a little interior work and a paint job. I am getting my wheels from 2Tight, so hopefully that will take the attention off the paint until I get a chance to get it sprayed.

I will be giving it a good month or so to get used to the steering. I don't have much, if any, parrallel parking to do here. I am excited, once again, to get behind the wheel of this car!
Old 12-26-2004, 10:08 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Give it a good six months. I went from manual to PS in the same vehicle and I really like the manual better. Yes, it felt heavier at lower speeds. You get popeye arms (chicks dont care, they wont drive it!!).
It felt better in curves such as exit ramps at higher speeds with a bit heavier feel.
..less chance to feel the break into oversteer with the PS pump on IMO.

I am set up at stock height with stock wheels and stock size tires. THIS may attribute to the difference I feel in cornering...

Travis. I'm gonna ship you a box of friggin snow. when it gets there, drop in 6 corona's for me.

Thats my .02.

Gawd.. Tifo's handles like it's on rails.

<everybody sing> feelings....whoa woa woa woa feelings...

Quick Reply: Please help me love....