Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heavily modified 944 type 1 inside. Lots of pics!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 02:37 AM
Jakerx
Hitsquad Ninja
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'm posting beacause i know a lot of the people here are just being nice. i too will come out and say that i applaud your work. but in all honesty, i, like matt and geo know an ugly chick when i see one. the color does NOT make the car. the front end does look cool i admit, and so does the new hatch from strosek, but those tail lights (and from a bus?!)? and where is the tuning you speak of? EVERYTHING is cosmetic. this isn't a ricer. it's a weinerschnitzel.

sorry if i came off as a little p/o'd...it's just that people who flame the ricers are being nice here JUST because it's a 944. remember that thread about when the soul of a car dies? this 944's soul is long gone.
Old 12-13-2004, 03:04 AM
sweanders
Race Director

I think it's hideous.

I would like to say something nice but I really can not find anything positive about a uglified car like that. It seriously makes me sad to see a car modified like that no matter if it's a Fiat, Lotus, Ferrari, Volvo or Porsche.

Sorry dude, but you have made that car ugly and worse performing than the base design would ever allow.

Over and out.
Old 12-13-2004, 05:58 AM
riplin
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, lots of comments. I'll try to answer all the questions I see (and some funny replies I had to comment ). If I missed any, lemme know.

ernestedward: No, the rear hatch is from Strosek. The color is perlescent orange.

jabbadeznuts: Yes. I've bastardized this car and I take great pleasure in doing so.

Headhunter: Why not buy a Nissan? You've gotta be kidding, right?

Blue S2: The color is perlescent orange.

Macfreak007: The fibrerglass parts came from Pefa ( http://www.pefa-design.de/ ). We removed the turnsignal and fog light holes from the front bumper.

Epic2112: It's not a true dual exhaust (yet). We split the piping after the muffler. Like this:

| |
------
||
||======||
|| ||

944 Fanatic: The xbox is for in car entertainment. It's (like the car) going to be heavily modified. It has a modchip (Xenium) to make all the stuff work, like a bigger harddisk, 64mb extra memory, modified 12V stabilized input power supply, wireless network adapter inside, wireless controllers (receivers inside xbox), usb hub for hooking up extra hardware (inside xbox), ethernet hub (inside xbox), slimline slot in dvd player to make room for more hardware, embedded celeron motherboard, 2.5" harddisk for this computer, 2.5" lcd screen in the front, lots of extra outputs, like digital audio, optical audio, hdtv output, svideo output, audio in, etc.

89magic98: The weather sucks down here, so the outside pics will have to wait. The taillights I can order when needed, so that's not a problem. The outer two rings are leds. The rest are ordinary bulbs.

Porschephile 924: We simply fixed the engine and serviced it (belts, seals, etc), so it would run as it should. I'm still working on that 968. That's the engine that's going to be buffed up and tuned (working on that too).

Chris_924s: Working on 968 suspension (along with engine and transmission, etc). No idea what it weighs. More than stock I'm afraid. There's a 40Kg battery in the spare wheel well.

Charlotte944: So I've heard. I have 17" cup 3 wheels for now. I hope the 968 suspension and control arms fix this. I wasn't planning on lowering it. Maybe I'll get Lindsey control arms if I do. They fixed that problem.

Geo: Not yet. I'm not going to tune the 2.5L engine and then tune the 3.0L 968 engine again. That'd be kinda stupid, wouldn't you agree?

r1moto: Apart from the rear hatch, no.

azndrvr447:

(and from a bus?!)?
Origin actually matters to you?

and where is the tuning you speak of? EVERYTHING is cosmetic. this isn't a ricer. it's a weinerschnitzel.
Hold your horses. Like I said before and in the wish list, I'm working on that. That's why the 2.5 engine is only fixed (some new parts and all seals and belts replaced with new). About the wienerschnitzel. I love wienerschnitzel. With a nice slice of lemon. hhmmmm!

this 944's soul is long gone.
True, it was long gone when I got the car.

sweanders: Worse performing? Mind to explain that?
Old 12-13-2004, 06:40 AM
sweanders
Race Director

Originally Posted by riplin
sweanders: Worse performing? Mind to explain that?
Well, the aerodynamic flow must be very wierd with that rear section under the car and the wing on the rear is probably placed to far forward to give any actual downforce. You might get some wierd turbulence after the roofline with those abrupt lines - has a car with a similar kit ever been tried in a windtunnel?

On top of that the extra weight of the body kit and whatever filler material you have used will decrease performance. You also seem to have bigger wheels that will give you heavier unsprung weight and in that slower acceleration and if using wider tires you will have more friction.

The white gauges will make it harder to see what it going on. I also suspect that you'll put in a stereo system in it whichs adds extra weight...

But hey, it's your car and I don't blame anyone for spending their time and money in whatever way they might prefer. I will be honest if my opinion is asked however.

I think it's great that people invest time in developing the 944 series cars, but sometime evolution seems to take sidesteps back to the yuppie era..
Old 12-13-2004, 07:08 AM
riplin
Intermediate

True, if I was making a performance car, I'd try to cut down on weight as much as possible. But that's not the case.

The new bumpers weigh less than the originals. The front bumper is aerodynamically better than the original bumper/spoiler combo. For one, it's one piece, and has better air flow.

The rear bumper is worse, true. But in my opinion, it looks better than stock under spoilers. It has a diffusor, but that's a big name for it.

The rear hatch is lighter than the original window. But it does generate more drag. The spoiler that comes with it has no aerodynamical advantages, what so ever.

The headlights are aerodynamically better than the originals, when they are open.

I shaved the door handles, so that should cut down some drag? And the mirrors should contribute a little as wel?

No, I find the white gauges easier on the eyes than the black ones. And they illuminate (blue) when I turn on the dashboard light. The contrast is higher than with the black ones.

I think it's great that people invest time in developing the 944 series cars, but sometime evolution seems to take sidesteps back to the yuppie era..
Cumbayaaa!
Old 12-13-2004, 11:35 AM
Lead Foot 944
Three Wheelin'

A for effort...! And welcome to the list..I love seeing one off garage projects like this....Alot of, or some people on this board could learn something from this guy....Its called having ***** and geting **** done instead of sitting around and talking about it..! No matter how it looks....! I have nothing but positive to say to this guy, no matter how I feel about the overall look, especiallly since I know how much work that has been so far....Keep it up...

DAmian
Old 12-13-2004, 11:46 AM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by riplin
Geo: Not yet. I'm not going to tune the 2.5L engine and then tune the 3.0L 968 engine again. That'd be kinda stupid, wouldn't you agree?
Well, you're the one who titled this "heavily tuned." I don't see any tuning. Body kits should not be confused with tuning.
Old 12-13-2004, 11:57 AM
RPG951S
Racer

Seriously, I applaud your body work skills. But your taste-- man, what a waste.
And calling this "HeAviLy TuNed (Yo!)" ..... uhhh...Not quite.

Hey, I've got a great idea! You should make the car look like this one, it's beautiful:

Old 12-13-2004, 12:03 PM
riplin
Intermediate

Geo: ok, so it isn't tuned yet. sorry man, my bad.

That's a misleading picture. the paint was pure crap, the front spoiler was busted, the mirror housings were cracked, the doors were dented, the interior was a total waste, all the rubber is dried out, the windshield is cracked. And don't even get me started about the engine (hint: one of the balance shafts was bent!).
Old 12-13-2004, 12:04 PM
father2nate
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Riplin - glad to see that you can handle the comments put forth by this board. You will find, like me, many on this board are purists. Personally, I don't like to see anything over modified, engine or body. I find it to appear "cheap". I know it cost a lot of money, however. If I was spending the $10,000 on this car I would have just bought a garage queen 951, but that is me.

I do applaud you for your craftsmanship! There is nothing worse than seeing a Frankencar that has been pieced together. So, if your going to **** up a 944 at least it is a quality job!
Old 12-13-2004, 12:07 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Like the work you have put forth. I like the looks and what you have done with it. Be sure to keep us posted on here.
Old 12-13-2004, 01:51 PM
Ice Rado
Intermediate

i'll agree w/ most everyone in the sense that the work done was incredible...looks like alot of time/effort was done but the outcome doesn't do justice to what you can do...you definitely have skill...but the color/kit is too flashy...wants to be new but it isn't

is this a ruf i see in the background
:

Old 12-13-2004, 01:59 PM
bader$
Burning Brakes

I also think he does wonderful work. I wish I could do body work that straight. Not my cup of tea but if we all liked the same thing there wouldn't be any choices.
Old 12-13-2004, 03:32 PM
schumi
Instructor

That ride has been pimped, big time. You guys are like the West Coast Customers of Holland, or Belgium, or whereever you are. Great workmanship.
Old 12-13-2004, 05:41 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

I think it's amazing. My hat's off to you. I, too, am glad to see you can hang with some of the negative comments. Welcome to the rennlist and I hope you're here to stay! You can bet if I have a bodywork question, you'll be the first one I ask (well, you and Damian)!

Quick Reply: Heavily modified 944 type 1 inside. Lots of pics!