Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heavily modified 944 type 1 inside. Lots of pics!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 07:31 PM
88BlueTSiQuest
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Geo
Oh yeah, I don't see anything I would call "tuning" in those photos.
I was waiting for that line. When I dropped into this thread I was hoping to see engine and suspension mods.

Body mods are not a 'tuning' thing, as they have as much to do with performance as a sticker on a Honda. The younger generations have seriously confused the actual term 'tune' with body and paint mods.
Old 12-13-2004, 07:44 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 88BlueTSiQuest
Body mods are not a 'tuning' thing, as they have as much to do with performance as a sticker on a Honda.
After this thread, I don't see how people on this forum can bash Honduhs with body kits and stickers.
Old 12-13-2004, 07:47 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

If the work on the sticker'd and kit'd Honda is done well, I will acknowledge that. There is a difference between "quality" and "taste"...

BB.
Old 12-13-2004, 07:56 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

You definately have a misguided talent.

...........Can it pick up golfballs?
Old 12-13-2004, 10:16 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 88BlueTSiQuest
I was waiting for that line. When I dropped into this thread I was hoping to see engine and suspension mods.

Body mods are not a 'tuning' thing, as they have as much to do with performance as a sticker on a Honda. The younger generations have seriously confused the actual term 'tune' with body and paint mods.
We all know what they say about opinions... now if only we could tack on "generalizations" and call it a day.

If you want to put it that way, then I'll say the "older generations" have seriously forgotten something called manners... even when they have the benefit of hiding behind a computer.

If the work on the sticker'd and kit'd Honda is done well, I will acknowledge that. There is a difference between "quality" and "taste"...

BB.
Very well said, Brian. I'd be willing to be that 9/10ths of the people talking about "ruining" his 944 have no idea what it takes to do the work he did. Furthermore, those 9/10ths don't know what it takes because they can neither do it, nor have tried such body work.

Anyways... wild-orange-944 owner, I'm surprised you've stuck around to hear this crap. I commend you for your bravery and tough-skinnedness (yeah, I make up words sometimes... so?)
Stick around... get that 968 motor... welcome to Rennlist
Old 12-13-2004, 10:33 PM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts

I wonder if anyone has tried to make the rear hatch glass "permanent" - in other words, replace the hatch with some permanent sheet metal, some glass, to make a new look.
Old 12-14-2004, 05:41 AM
riplin
Intermediate

Ice Rado: I assume you mean the yellow one? That's not a RUF. It's a 500+ Hp racemonster made for the track. No, it's not mine.

Bill: Ok, I'm missing something here. I'm not an American (lived in Chicago for 8 months, though), so I don't get some of the funny remarks. So I'll just answer the question. No it can't pick up golfballs, but it does include every possible option, including the kitchen sink.

89magic98: phew, that's a _lot_ of work. Consider all the curves in the needed metal sheet. That goes way beyond what we're capable of.

As for negative comments and how they are formulated, I don't know any of the people on this forum personally and they don't know me. So any given remark cannot be directed at me personally. Thus, it can't offend me.

I simply posted the pictures to share with you. I'm not asking for acknowledgement of any kind and I'm not expecting any. Any reply, be it positive or negative is always apreciated (the positive ones I enjoy more, ofcourse! ).

More pics soon. I hope to have it off the bridge soon and make some better pics (i know, phone cam sucks). I'll include some pictures of the dashboard too.

Riplin
Old 12-14-2004, 05:53 AM
riplin
Intermediate

Hey, look what I found:

Riplin
Old 12-14-2004, 06:00 AM
riplin
Intermediate

Ok, I changed the post heading. So that 'tuning' discussion is now over.
Old 12-14-2004, 09:02 AM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

In my search for a decent 944 to turn into a "restoration/detailing" project, I came across a few samples that were really beat. Looked OK from 15 feet away (that galvanized steel really does its job) but up close, you could easily see the neglect, inside and out. The amount of $$ and time it would take to save these cars is so huge, that very few, if any will attempt it. Heck, just spend $1000 more and find an infinitely nicer example to start with and save many times that in restoration cost. I think what was done here is a much better fate than awaits many tired 944s. Everyone's tastes are different and that is appreciated. If it were my car, I may have chosen a different colour for example.

But I still stand by what I said earlier, this looks like real quality work being done here. Also, I expect when the car is finished and photographed in a nice outdoor setting, many may be surprised by just how excellent it looks.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:46 AM
BigRed
Pro

Originally Posted by riplin
Bill: Ok, I'm missing something here. I'm not an American (lived in Chicago for 8 months, though), so I don't get some of the funny remarks. So I'll just answer the question. No it can't pick up golfballs, but it does include every possible option, including the kitchen sink.
I think he's referring to a "Monster Garage" episode where they took a 944 and designed it to pick up golf ***** at a driving range...and then shoot them back at the golfers. Pretty good episode.

Love it or hate it, you all know you'd slow down and stare at it when it passes by. It's true...
Old 12-15-2004, 09:10 AM
riplin
Intermediate

Ok, I've got some questions concerning some connectors that I can't identify. Like I said before: I've installed a type 2 wire harness in a type 1 car with a type 1 engine wire harness. I can't find these connectors on the diagrams in the workshop manual.

1: 2 pole male connector (red/blue, red/white), type 2, Near the big rubber plug in the firewall. It's near the brake assist pump.

2: 2 pole male connector (brown/yellow, brown black), type 2, Near the big rubber plug in the firewall. It's near the brake assist pump. Connector is gone, only the pins are still there.

3: 2 pole female connector (red/black thick wire, blue), type 2, behind the engine at the top of the firewall.

4: 2 pole female connector (red/black thick wire, dark blue), type 1, engine wire harness. Near the oil cap.

5: 2 pole female connector (brown, brown??), type 2, near the dme connector.

6: 2 pole female connector (black/yellow, black), type 2, near the dme connector.

7: 1(one) pole male connector with 2 wires (red/green, black), type 2, on the main wire harness near the a/c compressor. I think the dme uses this one to cut off the compressor when you go full throttle.

8: 3 pole female connector (brown, brown/yellow, red/white), type 2, near the radiator fans.

9: 3 pole round male/female combi connector (no colors), type 2, near the passenger side headlight.

10: 2 pole female connector (green, brown), type 2, near the passenger side headlight.

11: 2 pole female connector (red, brown), type 2, near the passenger side headlight.

12: 2 connectors female (white, brown) type 2, near the passenger side headlight.

13: Strange connector with multiple pins. This one comes through the same hole as the heater fan cable near the windshield. There's a fair length of cable connected to it, so my guess is that it is used near the battery.

If anyone here knows what these connectors are for, I'd really appreciate the feedback!

Riplin
Old 12-15-2004, 09:32 AM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts

Isn't #9 the power for the headlight?

Isn't #13 the connector that is inside the hood assembly itself, for the light that is attached to the underside of the hood?
Old 12-15-2004, 10:06 AM
Charlotte944
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here are the ones I know:

#2: Pins for alarm hood switch. Look for a bracket with a round hole just outboard of the brake booster.
#8: Connector for late model radiator temperature switch.
#9: Looks like a late model O2 sensor connector.
#12: Looks like the connectors for the A/C refrigerant temperature switch for a late model car.
#13: Power connector for heated windshield washer jets and under hood light.

BTW: Are you sure you have this harness properly routed? I don't have a type 1 any longer, but I seem to recall that the DME harness for a type 1 comes into the engine bay on the driver side, and I know the DME harness for type 2 cars comes through on the passenger side.
Old 12-15-2004, 11:36 AM
riplin
Intermediate

89magic98, Charlotte944 thanks!

Charlotte944: yes, the DME of a type 1 is normaly located under the dash at the drivers side. In a type 2 it's located at the passenger side. But since I made a hybrid model we stupidly closed up the hole for the DME cable. So I'll have to mount it in the engine bay.

I hope I'll be able to find those connectors in the wiring diagram now. I'll let you guys know if they check out.

Riplin

Quick Reply: Heavily modified 944 type 1 inside. Lots of pics!