Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I found a couple turbo's and have some questions. Also some random pics!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 01:10 AM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

Lets put it this way. I have an 86 turbo similar to the one being sold. No way in hell you would get me to sell it to you for $11,400. Not now, not ever. I have fuchs though. But $11,400 for a good low milage 86 is well within reason if its a good car. Give me 10 minutes with a $7500 951 and I'll show you $5000 worth of costs in order to fix things right to bring it up to snuff -- unless its all in the miles. There is NO cheaper maintenance than buying it already in the car. Im talking mechanical maintenance, preservational maintenance, and any other thing that was once brand new and now isnt.

One thing Ive noticed in starting to really clean and preserve these cars (well one of them) for car shows is the devil is in the details. Minute details you cant see. You know what to look for that shows age. And more important than that, you know how much of a royal pain in the *** it is -- and a royal sum it is -- to return it to as-new condition.
Old 12-09-2004, 01:18 AM
Antonio951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just have to be paitent and look for a nice example. I am leaning more and more towards red.
Old 12-09-2004, 01:52 AM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by UDPride
Lets put it this way. I have an 86 turbo similar to the one being sold. No way in hell you would get me to sell it to you for $11,400. Not now, not ever. I have fuchs though. But $11,400 for a good low milage 86 is well within reason if its a good car. Give me 10 minutes with a $7500 951 and I'll show you $5000 worth of costs in order to fix things right to bring it up to snuff -- unless its all in the miles. There is NO cheaper maintenance than buying it already in the car. Im talking mechanical maintenance, preservational maintenance, and any other thing that was once brand new and now isnt.

One thing Ive noticed in starting to really clean and preserve these cars (well one of them) for car shows is the devil is in the details. Minute details you cant see. You know what to look for that shows age. And more important than that, you know how much of a royal pain in the *** it is -- and a royal sum it is -- to return it to as-new condition.
Then I won't mention that I paid less than $7500 for mine... wait a second... ahh ****.

I skimmed through the pages and didn't see anyone answer Antonioali's LSD question. You might feel lightheaded and you'll definitely imagine... wait a second... ahh ****.

No really... limited slips are wonderful. If you want traction in a corner (or off the line if you're a badass drag racer... as all drag racers are... right?) LSD will help you out. Theoretically, you can have twice as much traction capability with the same rear tires and the right LSD setup. But that's beyond the point. It splits torque between the rear tires when needed instead of allowing a single tire to spin wildly like the standard open-diff does.

Now can you live without an LSD? Sure. I do. I have wonderful traction, but coming out of a turn ***** to the wall I sure wish I had one. Another cool option is the tranny cooler. Luckily I got one of them... wasn't a bad consolation prize
Old 12-09-2004, 03:00 AM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

I said there are exceptions where extremely high mileage will drive a price down on an otherwise very good car. You have 168,000 miles on your car. I can see $3000-4000 in depreciation on those miles. Mods will recover some of that, but not much. Mods will get you a dime on the dollar. So $7500 is definitely in the zone.

Doesnt Tifo have white dials. I think his look pretty good. That dude must have 10 pairs of rims. If you are interested in the 86, Id sell the dials and get some Fuchs. Its the only year of the Turbo you can pull the look off without smoke and mirrors.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:23 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i don't think anyone mentioned the auto-tensioner for the timing belt yet. the 86 doesn't have the 87's do.
Because it isnt true. They have a spring actuated tensioner but they darn sure dont have an auto-tensioner. I think this misnomer is as old as the car is.

Mods will recover some of that, but not much. Mods will get you a dime on the dollar.
Mods almost never make a car worth more than its unmodded counterpart. I.e. a 50K mile 951 in pristine condition will generally sell more than a 50K mile 951 in pristine condition with chips, exhaust, boost controller, etc. There are reasons for that:
1) I have no clue how capable you are when you did your mods
2) I may not like your mods
3) It makes it appear as if something was wrong with the car to start with, i.e. why did you change it?

As to making your money back, I think .10 on the dollar would be a pretty good deal. Much depends on the car you start with and how much you pay. In the 50K example above you would probably lose on every dollar spent vs. what the other car will fetch. In a case like mine, the car was so cheap, I will probably collect .50-.60 cents on the dollar.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:32 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I said there are exceptions where extremely high mileage will drive a price down on an otherwise very good car. You have 168,000 miles on your car. I can see $3000-4000 in depreciation on those miles. Mods will recover some of that, but not much. Mods will get you a dime on the dollar. So $7500 is definitely in the zone.

Doesnt Tifo have white dials. I think his look pretty good. That dude must have 10 pairs of rims. If you are interested in the 86, Id sell the dials and get some Fuchs. Its the only year of the Turbo you can pull the look off without smoke and mirrors.
LOL. Not quite 10 pairs.

Fuchs are da bomb, as you well know. I think the white phonies look great too!

Old 12-09-2004, 10:54 AM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

IIRC, all the 86's came with trans coolers (not neccessarily LSD - mine doesn't have it) standard, it was an option after that. Also, the 86's are lighter due to no ABS or airbag.
Old 12-09-2004, 01:54 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

How true... ok, ok, I didn't see the reference to the price versus mileage... either way, thank God for high miliage cars! I would have been EASILY stuck with paying at least 10 grand on my car. In that case... I probably wouldn't have had the memories we've already made, because I wouldn't be driving one

Yeah, Tifo, how many DO you have? I can think of 3 pairs off the top of my head. And what's the story behind that nifty new CS badge in the back? Where'd ya find that? I like it. Nice touch for your "The CS that never existed" quest! All the more power to you man.

Ant... either way, you'll have a nice, low mileage 951. Drive them and I'm sure you'll be able to decide! Best of luck to you, and welcome to the boost addiction. It's sick, but hell if it isn't a good fix
Old 12-09-2004, 02:23 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by FSAEracer03

Yeah, Tifo, how many DO you have? I can think of 3 pairs off the top of my head. And what's the story behind that nifty new CS badge in the back? Where'd ya find that? I like it. Nice touch for your "The CS that never existed" quest! All the more power to you man.
LOL.

I only have 3ish sets at the moment. I would like to have a new set sometime before the spring, possibly a set of 17" CCW's or Forgelines, depending on the cash flow. Ahhhhhhhhhhh...........someone finally noticed the badge! Thanks, that's the factory clubsport logo that I had been searching for forever. I finally got the hi-res digital version of it from a guy with a 911 clubsport in Europe, and ran it off on some black decal stock. It's gotta be a decal for "lightness". Yes I am a geek.

(sorry for the OT digression here, back to getting Ant a new 951! )
Old 12-09-2004, 05:56 PM
Steve PH
Instructor

Don't know much about 951's but from a completely superfical point of view the 86 model looks really interesting, love the contrast with the white phone dials.

BTW Antonioali what front bumper do you have on your current 944 ? It looks more like a 924 Carrera GT part, the euro bumper is not that smooth!
Old 12-09-2004, 06:43 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 99 Posts

Congrats on the sale! Nice to see its going to what seems to be a good home.

I must say that red '86 has a sharp look to it....

The extra pics of your N/A are great. Is that the original paint? If it's not, then I must say it looks like a really nice job. If it is a repaint, I'd be curious as to what sort of $$ it cost... Anyway, it is apparent you really took nice care of that car and I think that you're right to take your time searching for a very nice 951. In my neck of the woods, that nice looking '86 would be pretty reasonable (assuming its condition is as excellent as the picture suggests). Might be worth a good look...
Old 12-09-2004, 06:53 PM
Antonio951
Drifting

i ended up paying 1500 for the paint, i knew the guy so gave me a deal. And the bumper is a fiberworks bumper.

I have been browsing the net for the past 2 h looking for cars. Autotrader, cars.com ebay... Anyone else have any ideas on where to look for 951's?
Old 12-09-2004, 07:18 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 99 Posts

I would say $1500 looks like a great deal!

Keep an eye on the Rennlist classifieds as well as PCA (both the main site and the regions). I looked all over for my first P-car and ended up buying from a Rennlister and am very happy. Buying from an enthusiast made a real difference for me. None of the "autotrader" cars I looked at (in the same price range) were cared for as well as mine. (Now mine was a daily driver - not garage queen - but it was looked after well). Not to say you won't find nice cars in the regular places, but I think you are more likely to come across the well-loved ones from enthusiast soruces...
Old 12-09-2004, 08:23 PM
Riff
Rennlist Member

I would check each region's PCA websites for any cars. There is an '86 red on black here in RI asking $8125, but it has 100K on it. If you want, I could give it a general once over and take pictures for you.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:07 PM
Antonio951
Drifting

riff thanks for the offer,
However i want to stay around 70-80K.

Quick Reply: I found a couple turbo's and have some questions. Also some random pics!