Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring questions. Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2004, 01:17 PM
riplin
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring questions. Please help!

Hi!

I'm the proud owner of an '84 944 type 1. It's currently being heavily modified. Here's a picture:

I've recently retrofitted a Type 2 (from an '86 car) dashboard in my car.

It's completely installed, except for a few small issues (compared to making the type 2 airco/heater fit, I call these issues small. ).

1: The speedometer sender mechanical / pulse issue. The Type 1 has a mechanical cable that is connected directly to the gauges in the dashboard. The type 2 dashboard requires a 12V pulse signal to operate. I've been googling around and found a generic sender that provides 16 pulses per revolution. It's kinda pricy, so I want to know if this'll do the trick.

My question is, how many pulses does the original type 2 sender send per wheel rotation?

2: To get the dashboard working I had to retrofit a Type 2 wire harness also. Most of this went just fine, except for a connector that I couldn't identify. There is a cable on the back side of the car (goes down the same hole as the fuel pump cable) that I don't know what to do with. It is a 4 pin connector (square) with only 3 pins in use. The colors of the wires are: Brown, Green, Grey/White. Does anybody know what this is for?

3: Another problem, you guessed it, the connector on the car wire harness (type 2) to the engine wire harness (type 1). The engine wire harness has a 9 pin square connector and the car wire harness has a rectangular 14 pin (11 used) connector. Does anybody know the pinout and how to connect these wires? I have the workshop manual, but I can't make heads or tails of that part.

Thanks in advance,

Riplin

P.S: More pictures are here: http://www.kogelman.nu/944.html
Old 12-04-2004, 08:57 PM
Tom Carson
Burning Brakes

Riplin...answered most of this on the other forum channel.

hmm...as of now you've got zero replies & only 16 views...next time be sure to say you have a 'supercharger' wiring problem...you'll get more views :-)

btw…awesome pix on the dashboard plumbing you did. this helps me understand your country’s position on drugs ! (loved those brown pubs)
Originally Posted by Tom Carson
wow…never heard of anyone doing this dashboard change…besides the speedometer, what else did you have to change/modify to get it working? how long did it take?

as…for the speedometer, the ‘late’ (type 2) 944 transaxle’s “hall sender” produces 4 pulses per hall transmiter revolution…dunno how many per axle rev

is this pulse really 12 volts?

I haven’t checked the colors regarding those extra wires in the back yet, but I suspect what you have might be the connector that goes to this hall sender found on the ‘late’ transaxle. changing the whole transaxle itself might be the way to go. btw…if you have trouble finding one, check Audi 5000 units as they look identical except for the end on the shaft (which is only because the Audi’s shaft is made to slide into a pilot bushing…but that shouldn’t matter)

also, fitting only the sender and drive gear to the early transaxle is not practical.

and as you noticed, another difference between the ‘early’ 944 and the ‘lates’ is the connector by the brake booster, the 'lates' and the 968’s have a flat rectangular shaped black 14 pin while the 'earlys' have a cube shaped white 9 pin Molex.

so you may need to splice and crimp these wires or change the engine harness

on your car the ‘early’ engine harness has a white plastic ‘Molex’ connector (by the brake booster) with pin:
1 – green
2 – red/blue
3 – red/yellow
4 – black/green
5 – black/gray
6 – black/white
7 – red/black
8 – blue/yellow
9 – blue/black

compared with the ‘late’ engine harness, the color and function of each wire appears to be the same but the ‘late’ pin#9 is blue which would connect to ‘early’ pin#9 which you can see is blue/black

keep us informed of your progress and welcome to Rennlist !

Last edited by Tom Carson; 01-19-2005 at 11:03 PM.
Old 12-04-2004, 09:39 PM
Tom Carson
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by riplin
that I don't know what to do with. It is a 4 pin connector (square) with only 3 pins in use. The colors of the wires are: Brown, Green, Grey/White. Does anybody know what this is for?
ahhh...helps to have the books at hand
it goes to the fuel level sender

the 'early':

brown (common earth/ground)
yellow/black (warning light)
blue/black (fuel level)

I believe should connect to the 'lates':

3 - brown (common earth/ground)
2 - grey/white (warning light)
1 - green (fuel level)

Last edited by Tom Carson; 12-06-2004 at 09:54 PM.
Old 12-04-2004, 09:56 PM
Clint's 944
Burning Brakes

That is some serious work your doing!! I can't wait to see it all finished.
Old 12-06-2004, 09:18 AM
riplin
Intermediate

Hi,

The modifications for the dashboard fit were quite extensive.

- Replace the steering column with a type 2 version (different length).
- Replace the airco/heater mount plating (what do you call this in english?).
- Modify the windshield wiper assembly (make room for air intake).
- Modify the hood to make place for the air intake.
- Replace type 1 wire harness with a type 2 wire harness.
- Replace type 1 airco/heater with a type 2 version.
- Replace type 1 fuse / relais box with a type 2 version.
- Replace type 1 dashboard with a type 2 version (obviously).

Anybody who thought the steering column was at a different angle is wrong. The type 2 steering column is a little longer and the chair mount points are tilted back. That's all. I would have noticed this, when I fit the dashboard. It fits perfectly and no angle change is needed to fit it.

Tom: Concerning the drugs, I don't do drugs

Tom: I have all the books at hand, but I couldn't find that specific connector (the sqare one). I have 3 wires that I thought went to the fuel sender. IIRC they were colored brown yellow purple. If these aren't for the fuel level sender, then what are they for?

Thanks for the info on the 9pin molex!

By the way, the car is painted. Look:

More pics at: http://www.kogelman.nu/944.html

Regards,

Riplin
Old 12-06-2004, 01:27 PM
Adam H
Pro

That's a lot of work! Nice job.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:15 PM
Tom Carson
Burning Brakes

does a light on the instrument panel light up when you connect the brown to the grey/white?

Originally Posted by riplin
- Replace the airco/heater mount plating (what do you call this in english?).
looks like you did major sheetmetel work to adapt the 'late' a/c-heater blower assembly. how long did that take?
Old 12-07-2004, 04:18 AM
riplin
Intermediate

It took us 3 evenings to fit that metal plate. That includes removing it from the donor car, cutting the hole in our car, welding, trimming down the weld spots, spraying on primer, putting kit on the welds and coating the entire firewall and battery / airco/heater mounting plate work.

The relais / fusebox is mounted under the dashboard and isn't accessible from outside the car. If we wanted to do this we'd have to change the steering column mount frame.

We made one boo boo. We closed up the DME hole in the firewall.

So that's going to be mounted in a waterproof housing in the engine bay.

Riplin

Quick Reply: Wiring questions. Please help!