Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front speaker replacement complete

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2004, 12:28 PM
fezz
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front speaker replacement complete

I just posted this for the archives.

After much searching in the archives for the right front speakers, I ended up going with the chart over on clark's garage and using the Alpine SPS-460A 4X6's. As stated - they sound great, were a direct fit and the factory grills fit perfect.

For reference, the speakers I removed were Sony XS-462. They were also a direct fit, the gills fit perfect and they sounded pretty good too. I did notice that the magnets on the back of the new Alpine's were a larger diameter.

The rear driver's speaker was not working. I chose to not pop the window but to go behind the panel from the door edge. This worked GREAT. If replacing the rears with 4X6 - there is no reason the pop the window. I just pulled the trim around the opening edge. The panel vinyl is lightly glued over the same edge. I just pulled that up carefully - removed the 2 screws at the bottom of the panel and was behind it in 5 minutes.

I had to cut down a phillips head screwdriver to make a small driver with a 90 degree bend to work within the limits of the panel. The panel swings out pretty far and I was able to get both hands and arms in, and remove and replace all 4 screws. The panel when back in perfect, no bends or creases, and i was able to tuck the vinyl back up under the 1/4 window bottom trim.

The new alpines sound really good - and I'm satisfied with the sound of the 4 4X6's. Plently of sound for me in the tiny cabin. I ended up using one of the Sony's to replace the POS Blaupunk in the rear. I think I will end up ordering another set of the Alpines for the rear and replace those in the near future.
Thanks to all who posted before on this topic.
Old 11-27-2004, 09:12 PM
hazlgreen
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to hear that you didn't need to remove the window. I tried it that way first, but couldn't get things back together without removing mine. It was worth the trouble though...
Old 11-27-2004, 09:19 PM
Nine_five_one
Racer

Cool I will get some of those alpine speakers, I had bought some infinty perfect Kappa plate speakers for the front but did not fit.

Thanks.
Old 11-27-2004, 09:27 PM
hazlgreen
Instructor

Ok, Ok, I have to ask (but I tried not to): Where did you find the Alpine speakers? I saw them on their U.K. website, but was under the impression that they could not be found here in the U.S.

I guess I sort of want to be wrong (but I'm losing money if I find out they are easily accessible, since I'll have to sell a slightly used pair of speakers that don't fit perfectly).
Old 11-27-2004, 09:50 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a set of Sony's that I bought about 4 years ago ( when I first got the car) at BEST BUY...did the same thing....no window removal.....worked like a charm!
Old 11-27-2004, 09:57 PM
Charlie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Boston Acoustic makes a good plate speaker for the front. They fit in my 86 without any modification.
Old 11-27-2004, 11:40 PM
fezz
Burning Brakes

the alpines are everywhere.
I got mine on ebay
www.hookedontronics.com
52 bucks shipped
i'm gonna get another set, too.
Old 12-24-2004, 06:52 PM
hazlgreen
Instructor

Thanks Fezz. I put the Alpines in two days ago. Perfect fit, just like you said.
Old 12-24-2004, 10:19 PM
fezz
Burning Brakes

Old 12-25-2004, 02:30 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I put Audioquest 4x6's in the front. Using their grilles, they work perfectly. Look almost like stock, and cost only about $30 plus shipping via EBAY! Great high end, no bass (of course), but the WOOX sub compensates for the lame 4x6 low end.

Once you take the windows out once, the gasket softens up so the next time, it's as easy as pushing them out with your hand! Rope trick on the way back in, and you avoid tearing or creasing the rear pannel.

Quick Reply: Front speaker replacement complete