Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! removing sensors from bracket

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2004 | 01:58 PM
brugarrett
4th Gear

Default HELP! removing sensors from bracket

Hello all,

Have all ready to go (after replacing clutch assembly) on our '86 944...except the sensors and bracket.

The sequence of assembly appears to be the bracket and then the sensors.

The problem, however, is that I can't get the sensors out--both are so tight that I can hardly turn them (even using penetrating oil).

Any ideas as to what I can do?

I'd love to get this thing off the jack stands over this holiday!

Assistance will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanx in advance,

Bruce Garrett
Leander, TX (Austin area)
Old 11-25-2004 | 02:21 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Since you said the clutch work is done did you remove the sensor bracket with sensors as one unit?
Mine were really caked up from old oil leaks; I just kept turning and pulling and they finally came out. You can't hurt the actual metal sensor but the plastic housings will break if you force them with vise grips, etc.
Old 11-25-2004 | 04:20 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

I had to drive one out by removing the bracket, clamping it in a vise and driving out the sensor out from the bottom. The road grim is worse then glue.
Old 11-25-2004 | 06:04 PM
Jakerx
Hitsquad Ninja
Rennlist Member

basically you just have to try your best and take your time taking it out...it needs a lot of nudging and turning and gripping. good luck with it though...hey at least you didn't have trouble with the starter bolts! or did you?
Old 11-25-2004 | 06:06 PM
Jakerx
Hitsquad Ninja
Rennlist Member

oh i almost forgot...welcome! another texas rennlister
Old 11-25-2004 | 09:06 PM
brugarrett
4th Gear

Thanx for the replies--

The clutch job went smoothly; just had a bit of trouble with the clutch fork rod but after some penetrating oil sprayed through the clutch inspection hole, it came out.

Regarding those pesky sensors, having never seen one before, do they have o-rings for moisture proofing? Could this be the reason they are so tight? Can I force them out by pushing on the bottom with a vise? The cylindrical pieces don't turn with the tops....

Thanx,

Bruce Garrett
Leander, TX (Austin area)
Old 11-25-2004 | 09:17 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

I ended up breaking the bracket off with a crowbar. Be careful doing this, as bracket shrapnel can fall into the sensor hole.... since youre doing a clutch job it shouldnt really matter you can get them back out, but be careful
Old 11-25-2004 | 09:17 PM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

While there is not an o-ring, they are very tight. If you have the bracket out you should be able to push them out from the bottom.

If the bracket is out, I hope you marked the location, as the sensors have to be gapped .8mm from the flywheel for they to work.

The sensors do tend to get a little dry and brittle over time, and the wire can break.
Old 11-25-2004 | 09:18 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

They have a small O-ring between the metal and plastic parts. The bracket is a soft aluminum, it will break if you push too hard on the sensors. If the top is turning without the bottom moving, the sensor is damaged goods. I would remove the bracket and drive them out. It doesn't require a lot of force to remove them once the bracket is removed and you can get to everything.
Old 11-25-2004 | 09:34 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by beab951
...If the top is turning without the bottom moving, the sensor is damaged goods...
If the sensor tube is turning independently from the top mount, I wouldn't put them back in either. Once that moisture seal between the tube and top is broken they will go bad very quickly as soon as they get damp. I'm still curious how you got the sensor mount w/ the sensors attached out in the first place? The guide tube attached to the block on my 83 would not clear until the sensors were removed. Maybe they began making that guide tube shorter on later cars. Hope all works out well for you, I know how much work it is.
Old 11-28-2004 | 02:26 AM
newoldguy
Instructor

Have you tried PB Blaster? It will chemically break up the crud that is holding those pieces together. Before I'd go pounding on those parts, I'd try it.
Old 11-28-2004 | 09:41 AM
944Ecology
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Well, having taken out over 200 of these things, I can say that at this point, if they seem to be stuck, you have about a ten percent chance of getting them out without breaking them.

If they have been previously coated with antiseize compound, and if the holes in the brackets have been relieved (made a bit larger), then you have a better chance.

My clutch job estimates always include the cost of new flywheel sensors.

gb

Quick Reply: HELP! removing sensors from bracket