Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XP: Living in Indianapolis?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2004, 11:25 AM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts
Default XP: Living in Indianapolis?

I am cross posting this for those that do not visit the OT forum.

I'll be interviewing for a job in Indianapolis (SAIC Crane Div.) and am looking for some basic info from those that live in the area. I know we have some Hoosiers on Rennlist .

The Indiana BMV list only 3 counties requiring emissions testing. Is this true? Are there any other inspections required before registering vehicles?

We're looking to rent a house for our first year there (so we can learn the areas without buying yet) and wonder if any one can recommend realtors or neighborhoods on the east side of the city. I'll be working just east of 465 and North of 70. Any areas to avoid?

I attended a conference in Indianapolis earlier this year (which led to this job possibility) and was really impressed with the city and area.

I appreciate any and all feedback/recommendations.

Thanks,

Last edited by streckfu's951; 11-24-2004 at 03:13 PM.
Old 11-24-2004, 11:34 AM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You would be much closer to the 944 Fest and all of us crazy Ohio guys. Indy is only a few hours from here.
Good luck on getting the job.
Old 11-24-2004, 11:41 AM
DennisR
Advanced

No testing/inspection required in Indy/Marion County. If out of state reg they may require you to have a police officer verify your vehicle's VIN when registering here. Suggest you visit http://www.indygov.org/home.htm for info on Indy. If you're coming from Detroit....don't tell anyone.
Best P-Car person, Farmer's Automotive. Bob Farmer has forgotten more than most Porsche mechanics ever knew.
Old 11-24-2004, 11:43 AM
wombat7
Three Wheelin'

I lived in Indy all summer and my girlfriend has lived there all her life. I personally would not want to live on the east side of town. Its the rough part of Indy.... Now the northeast side, Castleton, Giest *drool*, Fishers are nice areas and the commute wouldn't be too bad. Carmel is also a nice area but that's also on the north side. If you want the south side, I would look in Greenwood. That would be a little longer commute though.

Castleton and Fishers are reasonable priced,as far as I know, $150K and up... but probably closer to $200K. I'm not sure about the house prices in Carmel.

Indy is a nice place to live especially if you are motorsports fan. Not only do you have the speedway, but you also have Indy Raceway Park. The Indy region SCCA is very active in everything from club racing to autoX to road rally. That's usually where I race. I'm not sure about the CIR PCA, as I haven't really even looked into them.

hope that helps... if anything needs clarification PM me or something.

Chad
Old 11-24-2004, 11:51 AM
johnny1423
Pro

stay north or south( carmel, noblesville,fishers or greenwood)
Old 11-24-2004, 11:51 AM
hitbyastick
Three Wheelin'

My girlfriend lives in Indiana. I've been there many times, and I like what I see so far. It's a bit flat and the roads are too straight, but other than that it works for me. I'll be moving out to that part of the country early summer next year.
Old 11-24-2004, 12:09 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Great feedback. Thanks for the areas to look into as well as avoid.

Anyone else?
Old 11-24-2004, 12:29 PM
wombat7
Three Wheelin'

about what hitbyastick said.... the roads north of indy are flat, but if you get south of indy they are pretty fun...
Old 11-24-2004, 12:38 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Crane NSWC is in the Southern area of the State and covers of 100 square miles in area and is the 3rd Largest Navy Installation in the world. Beside developement activities, it is a hugh ammunition storage facility. That is why it is in a rural area of the state.
http://www.crane.navy.mil/whoweare/Default.asp?bhcp=1
From Indy, it is over 100 miles to Crane. If you want to live in a larger town, look at Bloomington and Bedford. From Bloomington and Bedford, it is still an hour commute to Crane on two lane roads.
Old 11-24-2004, 12:39 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

North Indy is very nice, but can be a bitch trying to get to/from work. Busy!

I moved here in January and live in the Castleton/Keystone area and I love it. Im close to 465 and have pretty much everything I need 5min away. I would stear clear of the South, just my .02

The city is a ton of fun! I still have so much to see/do, plenty of p-cars. And we are close to the Ohio gang and 944fest.

Mapquest 7739 River Rd 46240. Thats where I am, pm me if you want any details or a few apartment places to start checking out.
Old 11-24-2004, 01:24 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pete944
You would be much closer to the 944 Fest and all of us crazy Ohio guys. Indy is only a few hours from here.
Good luck on getting the job.
CRAZY!!??

Best of luck!
Old 11-24-2004, 01:33 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by beab951
Crane NSWC is in the Southern area of the State
I would be working at their Indy office wich is in Lawrence.
Old 11-24-2004, 01:54 PM
Mike Murcia
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Daniel - First off, good luck on getting the job. I'll second/third what others have said in respect to the north side. It's probably where most of Indy's Porsche owners live if that helps paint a picture. If you'd rather live closer to work and avoid the traffic that Sam mentioned, there are a few nice places to live on the east side/Lawrence area. You'll just have to look harder, and you won't have to travel as far to end up in a shady area. If you're looking at property to buy/lease, check out www.mibor.com. It's the Metropolitan Indianapolis Board of Realators site. No affiliation, it's just a helpful tool when house hunting, and it's always up to date.
Old 11-24-2004, 02:40 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

Your potential office should be pretty close to Bob Farmer's place as he is just off of I74 and 465 (just south of said office).

About areas to live in, everything that was said is accurate. The most affluent suburbs are on the northside of town although there are some nice areas on the southside. There is nice housing in the Lawrence area just south of Geist reservoir. If you are very close to the reservoir you are looking at around $500k+. Further south it becomes more reasonable.

If you want to live in the city of Indianapolis in a more "cultured" area, I suggest Broad Ripple. It is an older area of town, but it has the best restaurants and bars. It is very expensive for the size of property you get though. It just depends if you want city life or suburb life.

Will you be looking to buy or rent? If you are looking to buy, I could hook you up with a good realtor.

Good luck and keep us posted-

Max
Old 11-24-2004, 02:44 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Great site, Mike. I'm working it now.

Max, I'm looking to rent a house or townhouse that allows dogs. Does your realtor deal in rental homes?

Quick Reply: XP: Living in Indianapolis?