Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Startup attempt gone bad.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004 | 01:03 AM
Joe944
Racer

Default Startup attempt gone bad.

Alright so today I finished getting the car back together. With the belts on and everything lined up I was able to turn the motor over with no binding. Replaced fluids and hooked up the (new) battery. Went to turn over the engine and nada.

The lights were really dim most of the time and everything shut off when I was trying to turn it over. Every once in a while the starter would give a weak click but it wouldn't even start to turn over.

I'm thinking maybe the battery is dead? Going to have it checked tomorrow. But what else could it be?
Old 11-22-2004 | 01:28 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Sounds like you might have missed tightening a ground somewhere if the battery is new. I would check that first if you haven't already.
Old 11-22-2004 | 01:33 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sometimes new batteries need to be charged, especially if they have been at the store a long time.
Old 11-22-2004 | 06:28 AM
Joe944
Racer

As far as I know I never removed any grounds. Doesn't sound like fun looking to see if one isn't tightened either. I guess I will have to wait until I can get the battery checked.

Everything electricity-wise was just acting really strangely. The power windoes went insanely slow. Sometimes the radio and lights wouldn't work or would be extremely dim, but a second later they seemed to be at full strength. Attempting to crank just kills everything though.

I hope it's that battery!! I'm anxious to get it running as it's been getting "worked on" for over a year now.
Old 11-22-2004 | 08:28 AM
caster951
Three Wheelin'

I second the dead battery thought. I recently replaced my battery, and the first one we tried at the store was low on cranking amps.
Old 11-22-2004 | 10:23 AM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

The battery could just be holding a surface charge. It will show full until you draw some amps on it then it will immediately go dead. Test it again and it shows full.
If it is a new battery it should not do this. This comes from trying to charge a battery too quickly. A battery should be charged on the 2amp setting and left overnight.
If the battery was indeed charged too quickly too often and starts to show signs of a surface charge it has to be drained completely. I like to do this with a few alligator clips and a 12v light bulb. After it is completely dead then try the 2 amp charge over night. Should do the trick.
Old 11-22-2004 | 10:27 AM
MHT
Burning Brakes

how did the valves get bent? Usually it's a result of breaking a cam belt, but in that case the engine doesn't run at all. You said that your car started running badly and then you found the bent valves. There aren't too many main grounds to check, the large wire on top of the block just in front of the bell housing and the connection inside the firewall, close to the battery. If you have a voltmeter, check the voltage across the battery as you try to start the car, it should be at least 12.6 volts with no load and should drop to about 10 volts as you crank it, if it's much lower that that then your "new" battery ain't so new. If the battery checks ok I can tell you how to do a voltage drop test to find out where your problem is.

good luck
Old 11-22-2004 | 10:41 AM
njwilser
Instructor

when i replaced my belts i also had a dead battery. I didn't know that if you leave the keys in the ignition even in the off position that a battery drain results. I think the radio and sunroof are powered in that position on the early cars.
MW
Old 11-22-2004 | 05:50 PM
Joe944
Racer

I'm not 100% sure how the valves were bent. I believe that the previous owner had the belts done recently and they screwed up somehow, and realized it after they had caused some damage. I hadn't had the car for very long when it started running rough.

The meter on the car showed around 8 volts at idle and it went to 0 when I attempted to crank it. I'll be making a run to parts heaven soon to get a replacement.

Quick Reply: Startup attempt gone bad.