Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looked at a 997 today and dealer rant

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2004 | 06:00 PM
wombat7
Three Wheelin'

Default Looked at a 997 today and dealer rant

My girlfriend and I were driving around Indy today and got bored so we decided to stop in at the Porsche Dealer off of 96th St. at Keystone Ave, Tom Wood I think, just to see what all they had on the lot. After walking around for a little bit, we noticed that they had a 997 sitting outside so we thought we would look at it. I've seen pictures of them and everything, but this is the first one that I've seen up close and I'm very impressed. I never did like the 996, I thought that it took away from what a 911 was supposed to look like, you know what i'm talking about, round headlights, very curvy etc, but I really like the 997 I think the Porsche engineers finally realized what had worked for them for so long and decided to go back to it.

Also the people at the dealership were VERY nice. I mean I'm a 20 year old college student who drove up in a 944 and started looking at the 997, asking questions and all that good stuff and they actually treated me like a person instead of just some punk kid who was wasting their time. I haven't had many dealers who actually treated me well. Usually when I stop in to look at a car, I'm either ignored or someone follows me around to make sure I don't damage anything. Lately I've been stopping in at Chevy dealers trying to find a Silverado SS, since that is what I want to get as my tow vehicle when I graduate next spring, and even though I am driving a Porsche, come dressed nicely, and show true interest in the car, I can't get any help or when I do get help they never take me seriously. Personally the first Chevy dealer that does take me seriously is the one who is going to get my business. I'm sick of being treated like a punk kid!!

Alright rant is over now... and in conclusion the 997 is a REALLY nice car!!
Old 11-19-2004 | 06:12 PM
RMills944
Drifting

I had a guy at the Toyota dealer that was a total *** when I was looking at a tacoma, and that was the reason I didn't buy it then. My friend that came with was a Dodge employee and of course started asking questions. I asked to test drive it, and he said " I think there's one around the corner at the used lot". My friend finally asked what the payload on the truck was and the guy answered "it'll tow what you need it to. Well, that is complete BS, so he asked again - same answer. We were both pissed at the guy treating us like crap and Jeff looked over and said "Well, I want to tow a F***ing yaght". The salesman got quiet and walked away soon after. I hate dealership salesmen.
Old 11-19-2004 | 06:21 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Around 1997 I went to the local Chebby dealer to look at Vette's. The only one that had was up on the 2-story display out front. They were going to take it down (yea, no kidding) but I knew I was not 100% serious (I really wanted a used one, but lets see what a new one is like first, right?). So they offered a Z28 - auto. I figured what the hell. I'm putzing around in this Z, then the guy says "why don't you drive it as if it were your car?"
He wasn't done saying "car" - pedal to the floor, tires smoking - 120mph on the next on ramp.
That was fun.
Old 11-19-2004 | 06:28 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Hacker- the last GOOD 'vette was in 1972 IMHO. (Except the ZR-1 and Z-06)
I was at Beechmont at the 997 rollout- very nice people all around- I really dont miss the "Up yours a-hole" attitude at the Chicagoland Porshe dealers- ESPECIALLY MOTORWERKS of Barrington. What a bunch of POSEURS. They looked at me as if I had 3 eyes, and no cash.
Old 11-19-2004 | 07:49 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Ive had more than one Porsche dealer ask for whom I was dropping the car off for when I was just walking in to steal brochures [ ]

The ironic thing is, most people who work at Porsche dealerships Ive talked to know less than I do -- and thats frightening. You say "Yeah I got a 993 C4S" and they are like "uhh, nine nine three. Uhhh. Drrrr. Ummm. Errrr."
Old 11-19-2004 | 07:59 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

HAHAHA! yeah, UD, that's the way it was for me, when I worked at a Porsche dealer, the only guys who knew more about the Porsches than myself was the factory trained technicians. Even now, I'll go in and quiz them on their knowledge, pretend like I"m taking into account what they're saying as the truth, while in my head I'm pulling the BS card on em.... great fun.

I never correct em tho....don't wanna be an ****
Old 11-19-2004 | 08:11 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Porsche sales person tends to have very little technical knowledge. They only know how to make you feel important and try to offer what you want (test drive, discount). Their strategy is try to be your buddy the moment you meet them. They tell you how these cars are going to make you feel good and how much they love them. When you poke into details, they don't know much. Nevertheless, they try to be helpful -- unlike the jerks at other dealers. I've interacted w 3 dealerships and they are pretty consistent. They will talk to you as long as you have the time for them.
Old 11-20-2004 | 10:49 AM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

I visited that dealership before when I attended a conference for work a few years ago. They don't have much stock but they were nice to me to!
Old 11-20-2004 | 11:22 AM
wombat7
Three Wheelin'

About them not knowing much, I walked in and asked for a 997 brochure and the guy looked at me like i was speaking a completely different language. I finally said "the new 911" and the guy was like oh ok...
Old 11-20-2004 | 11:26 AM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

I usually don't have any problems at the Porsche dealership, provided that they don't see me pull up.

The only place I can't get helped to save my life is at electronics stores. I could stand in the car stereo or computer section for 20 minutes before I can even get someone to acknowledge my waving them down! Go figure...

BB.
Old 11-20-2004 | 01:33 PM
Dmitry S.
Rennlist Member

Steven's Creek Porsche is awesome. It also helps that the parts people know me on a first name basis. I buy so many parts from there that I now get them at wholesale.

For my 17th birthday, my mom set me up on a little adventure at the dealership. She stole me from work (yes, I was working on my b-day) and took me straight to the dealership. After a little bit of talking with the dealers, getting free posters, sales brochures(I have all of them for the 2004 models - including a spiffy hardcover one on the GT3), the salesman threw me the keys to a Boxster and said "lets roll" I was easy on it until he said "Cmon, it's your birthday, wind it out a little." Then I proceeded to take a cloverleaf at rediculous speeds.
Old 11-20-2004 | 01:53 PM
bloodraven
Race Car

I want to drive a new porsche on my birthday...oh well...guess I will have to settle for my little run in a GT2 a year ago...
Old 11-21-2004 | 04:22 AM
Friendan
Drifting

You gotta figure, those guys don't turn over as many cars as at a Honda dealership for example, so I'm sure they have plenty of time to entertain us.
Stuart at Weissach here in Vancouver is a really nice guy, he'll talk your ears off like he has nothing better to do. They sell RUFs and Lambos, and MINT older Porsches, and maintain most of the P-cars here in Vancity.
He answered all my questions about the Graphite Black $467,000 Lambo Murcielago sitting in his showroom.
Old 11-21-2004 | 04:42 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris_924s
Hacker- the last GOOD 'vette was in 1972 IMHO. (Except the ZR-1 and Z-06)
I was at Beechmont at the 997 rollout- very nice people all around- I really dont miss the "Up yours a-hole" attitude at the Chicagoland Porshe dealers- ESPECIALLY MOTORWERKS of Barrington. What a bunch of POSEURS. They looked at me as if I had 3 eyes, and no cash.
I know exactly what you are talking about with Motorworks in Barrington. I live about 45 min away from there. That place is ridic. They just got in a new Carrera GT and the new mercedes amg crazy thingy, forget the name. The newest rarest one. But yeah, those guys are jerks.
Old 11-21-2004 | 08:01 AM
awilson40
Three Wheelin'

The way dealers treat young buyers is sad. A couple of years ago my son drove into a Mitsibushi dealer to look at an Eclipse. He was in his old beat up 240 and they wouldnt let him test drive a car. The sales mgr said... "we dont give joy rides" Well, that really pissed me off so I drive up in my car and I have sales guys all over me and when I have a good crowd I tell them my sons story. I have the saled mgr, store mgr and a wad of other people apologising.
This dealer is known as the snob dealer and I would never buy from them anyway.
I did get them shook up when I told them My son had cash for the car (which he did) and that we would go elsewhere to spend it...which we did.

Quick Reply: Looked at a 997 today and dealer rant