Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 951 for sale - $1,000,000 (or Best Offer)

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 05:40 PM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Erik - Sorry - me dummy not get joke

The Dino was Ferrari's best-selling model of all time when production had ended. It was the "ubiquitous" (sp?) Ferrari of the 70s, the one that everyone instantly recognized as a Ferrari. The 308/328 series surpassed the 206/246 series in sales, and became the "ubiquitous" ferrari, universally recognizable. At the end of production, it was their best seller ever. The 348/355 series, at its close, surpassed the 308/328 as the best seller ever (total production). They are still, however, depreciating in value. The 308 series is around rock bottom right now.

Like every Ferrari before, Ferraris that are presently 25-30 years old will increase significantly in value when they are 35-40 years old. All of these cars go through a stage where "nobody wants them". A car does not need to be worth what it cost new (in actual dollars) to be an investment; it just has to recover from the "nobody wants one" phase of its life cycle without being molested or neglected.

I have witnessed early Esprit prices climb in the five years I have owned mine. From 1997-1999, the highest price that any example was advertised for was $11,000. I bought mine for $9000. In the last 2 years, several in lesser condition than mine sold for $14,000-15,000. The $9000 cars today all need something. Five years ago, people buying NA Esprits were people who couldn't afford Turbo Esprits. Today, NA (S1/S2) cars are significantly closer in price to early Turbos - sometimes on a par. The people buying NA Esprits now are no longer people who really want the newest fastest one but this is all they can afford. And this is far rarer a car than a Dino . . . (...and no, I don't expect to or care about making money on mine... I bought it to drive!)

I never expect a NA 944 to be worth a lot of money, but 944s are still in the stage where people are buying them because it is a Porsche they can afford, and they try to update them to make them look newer or drive faster (this forum is great evidence of which). The current crop of 944 owners are still chasing wanting a newer, faster Porsche. In 10 years, the people who will want 944s will want them because they "remember them" or "always liked them", will have money for a faster car (like a Toyota Camry or a 2000 Boxster), and will be buying 944s for what they are, not what they wish they could have.
Old 11-16-2004, 06:03 PM
KLR
Rennlist Member

a $4k 944 being worth $8k in 15 years is not exactly an increase in value, Inflation will probably move at that rate.
Dude, buy a calculator. If inflation moves at that rate, we've got big problems. As for a $4k capital gain over several years, I think that we all agree that it's no big deal to anyone's financial security.

If I sell the Firebird Convertible I bought 28 years ago for $300 for $20,000 I would be losing money. Not only will I not get the over $20,000 I have into the car out, I will have lost the opportunity cost of the money.
You and I think alike. As I cite above, even buying a 1973 RSR new for $25k turns out not to have been a great deal on a strictly finanical basis. That one didn't go over well with the pelican crew, but it's true if you consider that the appropriate risk adjusted discount rate for classic cars is probably much higher than for equities. A 944 is no RSR.

I know it is hard to deal with but these cars have virtually no value now (I have passed on numerous 500 dollar cars) and there is no reason to believe they are going to gain at a pace any greater than inflation.
There are plenty of reasons. Reread the posts in this thread. Virtually all cars reach a nadir in value and then increase at a rate greater than inflation for some period of time. When you're talking about cars that cost a few grand, we all agree that this is not huge appreciation in absolute $$. If you'd like to make a bet, I'd be delighted to take your money. Think about every argument that you're making and tell me that it doesn't apply to the 914. Talk about a car that they made a ton of and that NO ONE loved for decades.

Yuppies don't get nostalgic, that goes against what it means to be a yuppie
Uhhh, who's buying all those muscle cars again? Baby boomers? What generation did yuppies belong to again? However, it won't be yuppies buying these cars in several years, it will be the people who couldn't access them at the time.

Bottom line: They'll go up modestly some day, but none of us are sitting on a retirement fund. All cars cost plenty of money to own and operate and are, therefore, generally poor investment vehicles on a discounted cash flow basis. However, as rational consumers, we spend the money anyway because: a.) transporation has value and b.) we get emotional benefits from owning our cars. The beauty of the 944 is that you can obtain a and b while tying up little capital and experiencing negligible depreciation, at worst.
Old 11-16-2004, 06:07 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,204 Likes on 1,243 Posts

Jesus people, can't anyone take a joke? Didn't anyone have the t-shirt that said "Die yuppie scum die" back in the 80's? I did.
Old 11-16-2004, 06:11 PM
KLR
Rennlist Member

I don't think that anyone has a great love of yuppies per se, but your logic was off the mark.
Old 11-16-2004, 06:14 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Logic? What kind of jokes do you tell? Mathmatical one's?

The whole idea of being a Yuppie back in the 80's was a back stabing, dog eat dog view (remember the "me" era of the 80's) so in that frame of mind, they are always wanting the best, newest, latest and greatest stuff out there - not a 20+ year old sports car that has dropped $30k in value. So, there was my logic for that comment.
Old 11-16-2004, 06:16 PM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

I don't think anyone on here has delusions of 944s being worth their sticker price in 15-20 years.... I'm wondering if this routine price discussion does not stem more from different relative value of money among people on here. For, say, a college student eating Ramen noodles so he can save for a clutch kit, $4000 is a lot of money; For the established 30-something with good job, house, etc., and several cars, $4000 is still money, but not that big of a deal - definitely not investment material. To some, the 944 is "doubling in value"; others see just an incremental increase in actual dollars.
Old 11-16-2004, 06:16 PM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
Q: Why did 6 cry?

A: Because 7, 8, 9!

okay okay bad joke
Old 11-16-2004, 06:23 PM
IMB951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Serge944
Hmm...gotta love generalizations. Frankly, I maintain her better than most adults, while not even spending 1/4 of the cost. Keep wishing though; maybe my cars death will bring more value to yours.
I'll have to chime in and say I'm right with you Serge. Absolutely nothing goes unrepaired/unmaintained/unclean on my car. However I can't say that random kids my age aren't buying these cars and trashing them, because I know for a fact that they are.

As for all the comments on the Value of the 2.5 liter 16 valve 944, it will be verrrry interesting to see how things turn out in the coming years.
Old 11-16-2004, 06:27 PM
KLR
Rennlist Member

Erik, no worries. As for logic, though, it relates to the arguments employed in the thread. As above, it won't be the yuppies buying these cars. I'm not sure who suggested that, but yuppies have already been there, done that, and aren't likely to want to do it again. As for the "me" decade, that was officially the 70's. The 80's were the "go-go" decade.
Old 11-16-2004, 06:31 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by KLR
Erik, no worries. As for logic, though, it relates to the arguments employed in the thread.
BINGO!! - I really should stop posting today. I'm very tired and getting crabby - I'm bound to lash out at someone. Oh well, going home pretty soon - yea, I'm at work - slow day and I have zero motivation.

Ok, I have some motivtion ----->
Old 11-16-2004, 07:31 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

different things also determine the value of a car...

i had a 69 firebird- though it was not the finest example of a bird, it was worth alittle more than some of the others.- 1969 was the only year for that particular body style. 67-68 were a different car/different ignition switch/fenders/quarters/lights/etc.... This makes that one year worth more. HAd it been a trans am, it would be worth almost twice that.

The 89 turbo s- id say this car would be worth more and more as the years progress due to limited production AND desirablilty. The n/a will be worth more and more as less become available and prices go up, but never a shocking amt expt maybe the no milage showroom car thats been stashed for years.

ONe thing ive always seen is that a car is only worth what someone will pay for it.
Old 11-16-2004, 07:43 PM
peterjcb
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KLR
To me, the real deal that matters is that I've got a car that won't depreciate any further, costs a manageable amount to maintain, is a hoot to drive, show and own.
My exact sentiments.
I never buy a car thinking that it will appreciate, if it does then that's just an unexpected bonus.
Old 11-16-2004, 08:03 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr

The whole idea of being a Yuppie back in the 80's was a back stabing, dog eat dog view (remember the "me" era of the 80's) so in that frame of mind, they are always wanting the best, newest, latest and greatest stuff out there - not a 20+ year old sports car that has dropped $30k in value. So, there was my logic for that comment.
Dude, are you rewriting history? It wasnt like that when I was living in Greenwich Village in the 80s.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:00 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by TarHeel 944S
I'll have to chime in and say I'm right with you Serge. Absolutely nothing goes unrepaired/unmaintained/unclean on my car. However I can't say that random kids my age aren't buying these cars and trashing them, because I know for a fact that they are.

As for all the comments on the Value of the 2.5 liter 16 valve 944, it will be verrrry interesting to see how things turn out in the coming years.
Yah...we have one on the board too, who will remain nameless. Only difference is he didn't buy it.

As for the 944 S...i doubt theyll really gain in value, since there will be cheaper alternatives (a la 951 or even the s2) which i doubt many would pass up. Even if excellence says theyre worth "15k," the market will be small and hardly anyone would sell for the asking price.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:47 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Tom R.
Dude, are you rewriting history? It wasnt like that when I was living in Greenwich Village in the 80s.
Ok, I'll admit, what I know about the "yuppie" generation is from word of mouth and the media. I grew up in Lawrence Kansas - not a whole lot of yuppies around there for me to experience.

Let's drop it, bad attempt at being funny is getting way to serious.

Quick Reply: My 951 for sale - $1,000,000 (or Best Offer)