Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone else got snow?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 04:38 PM
TRACKIN951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car saw its first bit of frost ever last night I feel so bad for her. Well i just got my Audi 5000 quattro running today so the 951 is going away today! Its soo sad.

Audi Quattro's Rock
Old 11-12-2004, 04:51 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it snowed earlier this week, but no more is left. it'll snow again this weekend.
Old 11-12-2004, 05:04 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Part of the problem with snow tires is that it has to snow early or HARD (if late). If it waits around and is late in the "season" people will pass, snow tires are a luxury item at that point.
Old 11-12-2004, 05:04 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Brian McCoy
You will.. make sure to have lots of stuff to take care of pain and bruisies on your knees and backside. I spent a winter boarding durring the week and ski patrol (on skis) over the weekends and could never find a reason to switch from skiing. It's all about image (as near I can tell), and I'm about as far from the kind of person that cares about image as one can get.

We've had a couple snowfalls here in AZ already.... I'll be skiing in 2 weeks. God, I *LOVE* snow.. so glad I got the hell out of the south where it never snows.
One of my friends likes doing it, and shes been kicking me in the *** for a few years now trying to get me to go learn I figure why not, something to do thats new.
Old 11-12-2004, 05:38 PM
CBM
Advanced

Originally Posted by badass951
I need to get a Subaru! They are sooo much fun in the snow! What kind of Subaru do you think I could get in trade for a '99 Nissan Alitma, with 88k miles and the full luxury package (leather, premium sound, alloy wheels, etc.)?

Chris
You can get a great low-mile SVX for pretty cheap. Driving a 2-door when trucks get stuck will definitely get people gawking at you! It has a decent size flat 6, a bit more getup and go than the four cyl legacies and imprezas. Not quite a WRX though.
Old 11-12-2004, 06:24 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That was some fun sliding.. little scary though.. bout half inch of ice / slush on the roads....

Gotta love my new LSD transmission.
Old 11-12-2004, 07:46 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CBM
You can get a great low-mile SVX for pretty cheap. Driving a 2-door when trucks get stuck will definitely get people gawking at you! It has a decent size flat 6, a bit more getup and go than the four cyl legacies and imprezas. Not quite a WRX though.
Just sold my wife's SVX this summer. Yes indeed - the SVX is a pretty awesome car - 240hp (MORE than a base WRX) and very well appointed. But my particular SVX was getting a little worn - so we sold it and got Mrs. Z-man a New Beetle Turbo. All I can say now is, I like boost.

Problem with the SVX is mainly the tranny and steering rack. Expensive to fix, too.
-Z.
Old 11-12-2004, 08:25 PM
marky522
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Matt, I live in MI and never quite understood getting seperate Snow tires, I run the Kelly Navigator Golds on my prelude, and they are awesome. Before everyone jumps all over my, i do the see the differnce if you are into driving events then it makes sence but for an everyday car I dont understand.

On the Subaru side of things my wife had a Subaru Impreza, that thing was fun but it was an auto... good car in the snow and such, i can imagine the AWD versions would be awesome in the snow...

And about SNOW!!!!!! that snow that is in NY right now was supposed to hit us in SE MI, but it passed over us yeahhhhhhh.... anyway, i am positive we will get a whole bunch of snow this year cause its the last year i have to deal with it, moving south next year... and to think I just dropped $600 on BFG AT's for the blazer.. noooooooo

Mark
Old 11-12-2004, 09:24 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Marky, a good snow tire is a must in certain parts of the country. An A/S tire just will not cut it. There are plenty of times an AS tire wont even get you out of the driveway
Old 11-12-2004, 09:53 PM
marky522
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In my prelude, the only thing that would have gotten me stuck was snow that was deep enough to get the whole car stuck. I was driving in 8-10 inches of snow, just my experience. I have been very pleased with Kelly tires. Its going to be weird to go buy a actual Sport or rain tire next time, i am not going to have any idea what to buy...

Mark
Old 11-12-2004, 09:57 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

No snow here. But I'll have the snow tires mounted on the Miata's original wheels over the next few days. And then I'll be looking forward to the snow.

BB.
Old 11-12-2004, 10:29 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Z-man
Just sold my wife's SVX this summer. Yes indeed - the SVX is a pretty awesome car - 240hp (MORE than a base WRX) and very well appointed. But my particular SVX was getting a little worn - so we sold it and got Mrs. Z-man a New Beetle Turbo. All I can say now is, I like boost.

Problem with the SVX is mainly the tranny and steering rack. Expensive to fix, too.
-Z.
You should feel something that actually has some grunt to it. Those little things arent bad, but nothing compared to a bigger turbo engine.

The upside to that engine is it doesnt feel much like a turbo engine, feels like a larger 4 cyl or a small small 6 cyl engine in its delivery.
Old 11-12-2004, 10:37 PM
fastman
Advanced

You need a winter sport. I have never driven my 89 944 n/a in the snow. Why would I? Keep my Toyota ('87) pickup 4x4 ready for winter. Here in the northwest if I never drove my Porsche in the rain it would just be in the garage all the time. No fun.
Old 11-13-2004, 12:01 AM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

Snow? What's snow? Never heard of the stuff.
Old 11-13-2004, 12:24 AM
Brian McCoy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Heh.. Kevin, you got your canoe ready for this next session of floods? My aunt finally had the common sense to move OFF the first-floor (and got a 2nd floor parking spot)... to many years of cleanup and insurance claims for flood damage....

I'd rather mine frozen and easy to move, than liquid and drenching everything.

Quick Reply: Anyone else got snow?