Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible harassment?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2004 | 11:25 PM
Devildog2067
Rennlist Member

Default Possible harassment?

Last week, I was driving home. I was at a four way stop, with a cop on my left, and I turned left in front of him and gunned it. I got it up to about 5k in first (28 mph or so) and then shifted to fourth. He swings a u-turn, pulls me over, says "it sounds like you're in a hurry." I replied that I was not speeding, he tells me to slow it down, and he lets me go.

Tonight, he pulls me over after I drive through the same stop sign. He says "you failed to use your turn signal" (which was true) and "you didn't stop at the stop sign" (which was not) and issues a ticket for the stop sign.

If he'd written me a ticket for the turn signal I'd just pay it, but he wrote it for something I'm not guilty of. That just makes me mad.

I guess I just wanted to vent more than I wanted advice. My options are pretty much limited to paying the state or paying a lawyer, I think. I'm just worried that this guy is going to be looking for me every night.
Old 11-11-2004 | 11:30 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Hey look at the bright side..
At least he didn't write you a ticket the first time for your exhaust being too loud (even though you were at 5k) and make you go to an inspection station while at college and get them to sign a paper...
Old 11-11-2004 | 11:32 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Why did you gun it in 1st gear right by a cop?
Old 11-11-2004 | 11:36 PM
Devildog2067
Rennlist Member

Didn't see him until after. Besides, it's not illegal.
Old 11-11-2004 | 11:36 PM
mideastmafia
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Devildog2067
Last week, I was driving home... with a cop on my left... and I turned left in front of him and gunned it.

SHAUN
Old 11-11-2004 | 11:39 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

First of all, it can be considered illegal, especially in your circumstances. It can be considered wreckless driving, because you are accelerating more than needed on the type of road you were on.. especially in a busy area. Maybe getting onto the highway you can argue it... But it doesn't sound like you needed to do it in this case.

2nd of all, this is how I got my ticket for my exhaust being too loud, got onto a 50mph road, wound out first to 5.8k, brought second up to about 5k, just at where i was about to shift and level off at 50, cop saw me, (he was ina road entering this road, could not see me until that point) and gave me the ticket.
Old 11-12-2004 | 01:26 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

How did you have a cop on your left and turn left in front of him and not get nailed for that?
Old 11-12-2004 | 01:31 AM
Mike Murcia
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Devildog2067
I'm just worried that this guy is going to be looking for me every night.
Seems pretty simple. Be on your best behaviour around that stoplight.
Old 11-12-2004 | 02:09 AM
pcarfan944
Burning Brakes

Doesn't sound like harassment to me, you broke the law twice in front of a police officer. He was just doing his job. He let you go with a warning the first time, when he could have cited you with exhibition of speed. In that case, I bet he thought you were testing him. Gunning it on purpose to see if he would pull you over. No surprise the second time he would give you a ticket, after having just given you a warning at the same place a day or two before. Everything seems justified to me.
Old 11-12-2004 | 07:33 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Originally Posted by pcarfan944
Doesn't sound like harassment to me, you broke the law twice in front of a police officer. He was just doing his job. He let you go with a warning the first time, when he could have cited you with exhibition of speed. In that case, I bet he thought you were testing him. Gunning it on purpose to see if he would pull you over. No surprise the second time he would give you a ticket, after having just given you a warning at the same place a day or two before. Everything seems justified to me.
Amen. And you said it a lot nicer than I would have.

What is up with all of the people who get speeding tickets and citations and then come post on here expecting sympathy? There's two of these freakin' threads on the first page right now.

If I was the cop, I would have done the same thing.
Old 11-12-2004 | 08:40 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Illinois cops are not fun to deal with at all- even locals. Champaign- being a college town wont tolerate unnecessary noise or speed. They have your DL and plate #'s now- drive on your best behavior for a month or 2.

Your word against his (and the copper has been trained to leave law abiding citizens alone) in this day and age of political correctness and frivolous lawsuits. You'll never win in court. the cop will cite the previous warning and the judge will agree with law enforcement in this case.

Pay your ticket and thank your lucky stars you got a COP who just wanted to do his job and not hold a grudge. You would be in for 3 moving violations if he was in a bad mood.

Same cop? you are being watched closely.
Old 11-12-2004 | 09:06 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

its called excessive excelleration, and they will definitly give you a ticket if your tires are smoking. Ask me how i know.
Old 11-12-2004 | 09:48 AM
Dark Lightning
Pro

Ask me how I know too. 'Unneccesary acceleration' was the title of my $150 ticket.
Old 11-12-2004 | 10:05 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Put yourself in the Judge's shoes.

Think about todays political climate. Morals are important. Preserving life is important. so:

Gotta slow the children down. there may be kids nearby. Gotta focus on the children in sports cars, especially the ones racing on local streets. redlineing on a local street sounds dangerous, gotta teach them a lesson. Gotta make them responsible adults.

Redlineing a race car on the street, whoa, dont let the judge hear that.
Old 11-12-2004 | 10:49 AM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Tom what the hell is up with your signature line? Thats probably the most annoying thing Ive seen on rennlist lately...Time to revert back to signatures "off" I guess.

Quick Reply: Possible harassment?