Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

**Got speeding ticket, COP used NO RADER, wtf?**

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2004, 04:39 PM
Ric_Porsche
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry **Got speeding ticket, COP used NO RADER, wtf?**

So I am in the city. Busy street. I DID speed up to switch lanes. Then I see the POs lights behind me. I asked him what I was pulled over for (who doesnt). He said he "obeserved" me speeding and goes back to his car. Comes back with a $70 ticket and 1 point. I look at the ticket and notice no speed written down so I ask him how fast he had me going because I do not see anything. That's when he said I saw you speeding. So I say "wait a min you had no rader?", he says "Correct" and I say "see you in court".

So the question is to those of you out there
1. Have you ever gotten a speeding ticket when the COP used no rader
2. If you have did you beat it
Old 11-11-2004, 04:43 PM
badass951
Three Wheelin'

Well Cops are definitely permitted to time you, however I am pretty sure they have to be using Vascar to do this. The Vascar system uses white lines on the road, and as you pass through them, your average speed is calculated. Although, if there was no speed written down on the ticket, then I would definitely go to court. You will win, and if not, you will probably get a reduction in price or a reduction to 0 points. Sounds like he was bored!!!

Chris
Old 11-11-2004, 04:44 PM
badass951
Three Wheelin'

By the way, did you admit to speeding to him? If so, that is probably why he gave you the ticket. If not, then I do not see how you could be given a ticket, unless he forgot to write down the speed. Weird.
Old 11-11-2004, 04:45 PM
Ric_Porsche
Instructor

Well that's what I was thinking. He has no speed on the ticket. Just says on the ticket he observed me speeding up on a busy street. I Am not sure thought what to say to the judge. Obviously plead not guilty but do I say, "your honor I was not speeding" and leave it at that?
Old 11-11-2004, 04:45 PM
Ric_Porsche
Instructor

Nope I said I was not speeding only changing lanes.
Old 11-11-2004, 04:48 PM
pcarfan944
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

Strange. I've never heard of anything like that happenening. Sounds to me like the police officer was in the wrong, as far as I know they need some kind of tangable evidence that you were speeding before they can issue a citation. When you get to court I don't think the officer is going to have much of a case if he can't present any kind of proof that you were breaking the law. Get on the phone and talk to some traffic lawyers and see what their reactions are.
Old 11-11-2004, 04:51 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Sounds like he doesn't think you'll contest. If there was no radar or timing used, there's no evidence. The only thing he could use to judge your speed is comparing you to the traffic around you.

I bet it will be dismissed or reduced if you contest.
Old 11-11-2004, 04:52 PM
pcarfan944
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by badass951
Well Cops are definitely permitted to time you, however I am pretty sure they have to be using Vascar to do this. The Vascar system uses white lines on the road, and as you pass through them, your average speed is calculated. Although, if there was no speed written down on the ticket, then I would definitely go to court. You will win, and if not, you will probably get a reduction in price or a reduction to 0 points. Sounds like he was bored!!!

Chris
I think if he was timing him or using Vascar, he would of said so. Plus, even when you time someone you can still obtain their speed via a series of mathematical calculations. Handing him a ticket for speeding with no speed written on it, while offering up the vague explanation he did, is just bizarre.
Old 11-11-2004, 05:10 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts

In CA they will usually not radar on the highway (at least in San Diego). They will instead PACE you. This is then used in court. BUT they do provide a SPEED on the ticket.

I'd say try court. For one point off, I'd try.
Old 11-11-2004, 05:12 PM
schumi
Instructor

was he driving behind you? if he was going the speed limit per his speedometer and saw you pulling away from him, he can cite you for speeding. Believe me, people get tickets all the time by the "pacing" method (that's how I got nailed, no detector will save you from this one). if he was just standing still and you drove by and he thought you were speeding, that may be more dubious.
Old 11-11-2004, 05:19 PM
97xray
Burning Brakes

I received a ticket with no radar, speed "estimated" was written on the ticket (and was absurd). I took pictures of the location, the angle of the road as it entered the corner and exited the corner. I was all ready to make a case for the impossibility of the cops claimed speed (55 around a 25mph suggested speed corner).
I didn't have to.
The second I pulled out my 8x10 photos, and politely asked to make a case - starting with the clear statement that I was NOT speeding, the ticket was completely thrown out. The magistrate didn't even hesitate. I don't know why, just am happy with the outcome.
I hope that helps.
Old 11-11-2004, 05:46 PM
Darren
Burning Brakes

In PA they can do this because they go to training to learn how to estimate the speed of cars. I got a ticket like this before, and had no luck arguing against it because the cop brought a document indicating when he took this training. IMO, if you had a lawyer you might have a fighting chance, but that would be more expensive than paying the ticket.
Old 11-11-2004, 05:51 PM
RMills944
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You probably blocked the lane he was using to get to the doghnut shop and pissed him off, so he gave a ticket to you.
Old 11-11-2004, 06:01 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

Perhaps he was pacing you from his car and observed the speed from his cruiser. This happens all the time.
Old 11-11-2004, 06:05 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Speeding tickets were written long before radar was used.
You can try to beat it in court but you should have a lawyer advise you.

Quick Reply: **Got speeding ticket, COP used NO RADER, wtf?**