Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My next custom project.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2004, 04:39 PM
Lead Foot 944
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

THanx.....

DAmian
Old 11-03-2004, 08:47 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you guys using them on the street? How do you keep from busting them on driveway entrances and speed bumps?
Old 11-03-2004, 09:07 PM
flamingeye
Instructor

Originally Posted by Peckster
Are you guys using them on the street? How do you keep from busting them on driveway entrances and speed bumps?
'Good news - it looks the nuts

Bad news - it bottoms out comming up the curb ramp into our close . All the nice painted GRP on the underside is cut to hell already. I was expecting a few knocks and dings, but not befor I got it onto the drive. Speed bumps may become a real issue

Good news - while probably just the concept of having the splitter on making me think something is happening but, the front does seem to weight up more at motorway speeds.'

The above is a quote from the splitter thread on the PCGB forum, from a member who has just fitted the DP Motorsport splitter. Kind of speaks for itself.
Where I live in London, I am surrounded by speed humps. On a journey I make to pick up the Missus sometimes, of no more than two miles, I will drive over approx thirty-five/forty one way. And these are huge. If they put any more down they will make the road flat again!!!!!!
Old 11-04-2004, 09:43 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Peckster

I have a good answer for that. I removed mine about 2 months back.

My car is so low that with the splitter on, anyplace that had speed bumps or an incline to get into was off-limits. Driving on regular streets/highways was fine, since the suspension is so stiff there was no bob or movement. But transitions and speed bumps were too much.

The plan is to just put it on for track events and shows, from now on. The batwing stays on for everything else.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:12 AM
Sami951
Drifting

It doesn't look that good anymore. I keep hitting stuff with it all the time, plus it seems to collect stone chips like crazy. Good thing it's only black spray paint, not exactly expensive to renew
Old 11-04-2004, 04:30 PM
culture
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by flamingeye
I was going to purchase the one actually shown on the silver car, from a fellow PCGB member.
It is from DP Motorsport but can't find anything splitter wise on their site. This replaces the whole front undertray.
do you know if the grey one is made of fiberglass or polyeurothane?
Old 11-04-2004, 04:34 PM
Lead Foot 944
Three Wheelin'

Shaping foam is not as easy as I thought....Pics soon....Hopefully by the weekend of the completed cork....

DAmian
Old 11-04-2004, 04:37 PM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 63 Posts

I went a different route with my turbo and used ear splitters. Smaller and a bit more subtle than the AIR/GT Racing pieces. So far no clearance issues.....
Here's what they look like (not my car but you get the idea):
Attached Images   
Old 11-04-2004, 04:57 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damian,

With one caveat, I would like to be first in line. I'll even send you money if you need it for supplies to get started. I was going to do one myself for my race car, but if you're doing it, that's one less custom fabrication I have to do.

The caveat: the forward edge of the spoiler cannot extend past the most forward part of the bodywork (not including the bumper). This is the limitations placed upon me by the SCCA IT rules. If you can make one to fit the rules, just tell me when and where to send a check and how much.

I'm absolutely serious about this too.
Old 11-04-2004, 05:13 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by flamingeye
I was going to purchase the one actually shown on the silver car, from a fellow PCGB member.
It is from DP Motorsport but can't find anything splitter wise on their site. This replaces the whole front undertray.
One reason you may not be able to find it is that is really not a splitter despite what the road car aftermarket calls it. Look for spoiler or air dam. A real splitter is the black flat piece on the bottom of the lip of the red car (2nd photo in your post). A true splitter is simply a flat piece (perhaps with a slope up underneath the car) that extends the airdam/spoiler. Splitters are very effective at producing downforce with almost no penalty in drag.
Old 11-04-2004, 05:19 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by Lead Foot 944
Shaping foam is not as easy as I thought....Pics soon....Hopefully by the weekend of the completed cork....

DAmian
Trivial point, but to keep the lingo straight, what you are calling a cork is commonly refered to as a plug. That will help you if you produce a prototype and get quotes to outsource production. They will know what a plug is.

I'm not sure what you are using for foam, but what I've found works fabulously is the styrofoam used by florists. It's very fine and shapes easily with rasps and sandpaper. Very easy to rough out with a variety of tools.

This is the one I would go for in a heartbeat:

edit: photo didn't show up - it's the B&W one above from the Holbert Racing catalog.
Old 11-04-2004, 06:14 PM
Friendan
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Ah, so that one is from Holbert Racing...man, why didn't GT racing buy that NA splitter? Geo, I would also go for that one in a heartbeat.
Old 11-04-2004, 06:28 PM
Lead Foot 944
Three Wheelin'

OK GEO points taken, Thanx for the advice...I am using that pink 4 x 8 insullation foam for shaping, purchased from Home Depot....and then I am planning on going to spread tiger hair over the surface of the cork/plug to create my mold.....THe tiger hair will help me in making sure its nice and straight, and be able to make the edges real nice, etc....And to be honest with you guys, what I have shaped so far, is really looking like the stock N/A splitter, but without the sides that ride up, as I dont care for that to much...And I will be sure to keep everyone posted on my progress on this throughout the week...And once I get the final shape all complete, I will post pics of it, maybe taped to my car, to give a better idea of how it may look. And then I want to hear what everyone will think of the look, and make any changes if needed before I move on to make the mold.....And actually I have even though about the idea of glueing the bottom of the foam to a nice thick piece of the plastic I have used in the past for my tailights to help keep the plug from warping, or bending, and to help prevent waves also.....

Oh and as far as the actual protrusion of the splitter, how far out do guys think it should go...? What do the turbo ones measure out at....Tifo..? Anyone that can run out to their car with a tape measure and measure the very center of the protrusion....Or maybe there wont be one at all like on the stock N/A one from Porsche.....OPinions on this....Protrusion or none.....?

DAmian
Old 11-04-2004, 07:04 PM
flamingeye
Instructor

Originally Posted by culture
do you know if the grey one is made of fiberglass or polyeurothane?
Fibre glass I believe.
Lead Foot 944, what is 'tiger hair'?
Old 11-04-2004, 08:35 PM
flamingeye
Instructor

Cheers Stahlblau. On that note I agree that would be hard to work.
Sometimes in my field of work I use polyurethane foam which is excellent to shape. You can then brush a layer of resin directly over it, which you can then sand to a fine surface (fill if needed) and prime etc.
Are you going to make a two part fibre glass mould?

Quick Reply: My next custom project.....