Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 Forum Block Party...

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2004, 04:52 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb 944 Forum Block Party...

Hello fellow 944ians, I was lurking around in the 993 forum when i came across a sticky in their forum called "993 forum block party..." they decided they've had enough off topic discussion in their forum, but realize that since they are like a community of thier own, and want to socialize within themselves, that something other then OT should be done...
here's their thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/166882-993-forum-block-party.html

Originally Posted by max911
How about starting ONE thread where people can do the aforementioned 'drop by for some fun and chatter' Then people that want to kill some time, be entertained, or do some entertaining, can do just that without sending some of the other threads way off tangent. The block-party thread would be like posting in OT, but you'd be chatting with only fellow 993 forum people that you have come to know (like it or not ). Those people who just have to post 'something' every few hours would know exactly where to go. This would mean some of the tech-people that really help us out a lot would have fewer threads to wade through, and fewer 'polluted' threads to filter through. And hey, if they get bored they could check out the block-party too whenever they wanted. It would also mean that people who only have limited time per day or per week to stay on top of the actual car talk, could more easily do so. I would suggest that politics be off limits. People can go to the actual Rennlist Argument Forum...err...Off-Topic Forum for their fix if they must! I also suggest that someone other than myself start the thread. If people see a "993 Block-Party" thread started by max911, they'll only think "what's that sarcastic, grumpy ***** up to now" and pass it by. Not to mention everyone that has me on their ignore list would miss out. I'm also thinking the Ray Calvo name might not be the best for the thread starter either It shouldn't be hard to find a more affable volunteer than myself and brother Ray hee hee.

The amount of views and participation in some of the "lighter" threads shows there are enough people into that kind of thing, and the number of threads that get side-tracked shows there are more than a few people that need a good place to 'release'.
So here it is, our own block party! I've PMed pete about making it a sticky, lets see if we can minimize OT threads with this!
~Eyal
Old 10-29-2004, 05:05 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Bingo, many elderly people love it, and with good reason. However, the media raised children of these days need something more eventful to entertain them. Explosions, Sex, Unexpected situations, etc. TV has taken the excitement out of everyday lives, and replaced it with a wanting need for everyone to want to watch TV.

Myself, I don't find much comfort in the TV. Sure, it's a good way to waste an extended amount of time, but half the shows that I feel have made me think are not liked by main network stations. Apparently the average TV view prefers a program requires little brain activity. TV viewers want to be stupid. I'm a TV viewer, here me drool!

Where am I going with this? I have no idea.

I think that Bingo could replace TV though, it just needs to be spiced up a little. I'm not talking cards that explode when you get a bingo, although that could be cool. I'm talking about something like Everyday Bingo. Everyday Bingo? Yes, Everyday Bingo. But just what is Everyday Bingo? And why am I asking myself these questions? Those are some very good questions.

Everyday Bingo is taking your normal five by five square grid and putting events in that could happen any day. You know like, B-Old Lady Crosses The Street, and O-Student Falls asleep in class. And no stinkin' free space! Frankly, too many people get cheap wins like that. It should be the $5 space or something like that. Then those stinkin' moochers will of least done something to deserve the win.

Of course you want you Bingo squares to be about something around you. For instance out of my window I can only see the pool. So I would have squares like "Girl shouldn't be wearing a swimsuit that small", "Guy stands in one place long enough to be freaky", or "five guys try to hit on one girl at once."

That would cover my B line, I'd probably go for something closer for my Is. Like, "Windows XP screws up again", "Printer claims it's out of ink again", or "Fast CD-ROM tray just stops working for no apparent reason".

You need one less N, because of the stupid $5 space. I'd go with Animals. Like, "Rabbit that's too stupid to leave the bushes unless someone's 2 feet away", "Bee that thinks it can fly threw glass", or the ever popular "Roadkill".

But no Everyday Bingo would be complete without shoes. I always have to have "Girl that won't admit she's short so she wears shoes that are at least an inch and a half tall".

Play this game with your friends for some stupid prize, like, 1 stick of gum, or a Free AOL CD. I think you'll have hours of fun, and still keep your eyesight.

Last edited by tifosiman; 10-29-2004 at 05:32 PM.
Old 10-29-2004, 05:18 PM
Friendan
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

That's it Tifo!!!!! Just let it all out!!!
Old 10-29-2004, 05:33 PM
ckathens
Drifting

Sounds like a pretty good idea.... Looks like Tifos already took his cue....
Old 10-29-2004, 07:13 PM
StupEd05
Pro

I like the Bingo idea. However, I feel there should be multiple versions of this "Everyday life BINGO". I.E. "Everyday life BINGO: The Computer Nerd's Edition" and "The Mechanics Edition" or maybe even "The Female Version". Of course in this politically correct minded nation we should include versions for all types of people and creatures. How dare we leave the Goths out of this marvelous BINGO? Even the birds need to play a game once in a while, right? And besides, the last thing we would want is PETA spraying us with high-pressured water guns because we dropped the Whales Edition due to insufficient sales. Lets think of everyone here as this BINGO should be readily available for all people who share this common "Everyday Life".
Old 10-29-2004, 07:57 PM
Kurt
Three Wheelin'

JENGA!!! JENGA!!! JENGA!!!

oh wait...wrong game.
Old 10-29-2004, 08:16 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

OMG jenga! The memories.
Old 10-29-2004, 09:12 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

we need some globe lights and hotdogs in here.
Old 10-29-2004, 10:23 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Let's have a REAL party! I'll supply the liquor!
Old 10-29-2004, 10:43 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

and I'll drink it!
Old 10-29-2004, 11:20 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Great idea as long as it doesn't denegrate into the kind of hell-hole that the OT forum turned into about two months ago; that's precisely why it became "members only" (yet it persisted in being a hell-hole, so I don't know if that accomplished much except at least John D got to cut some of his costs. . .)

And BTW I'm having a beer right now! C'mon over and let's toss a few back. Anyone in the SoCal area?
Old 10-29-2004, 11:45 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile
Great idea as long as it doesn't denegrate into the kind of hell-hole that the OT forum turned into about two months ago; that's precisely why it became "members only" (yet it persisted in being a hell-hole, so I don't know if that accomplished much except at least John D got to cut some of his costs. . .)
No, there are other reasons the OT forum was closed to non members.
I could tell ya, but then I'd have to kill ya.
Old 10-30-2004, 07:51 AM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Good Morning all.
Old 10-30-2004, 08:31 AM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

And I thought I woke up early for a Saturday..... Looks like you beat me by a half hour Pete
Old 10-30-2004, 08:44 AM
mybaby924s
Racer

Sleep??? Didn't anyone tell you sleeping is for when your dead?

Quick Reply: 944 Forum Block Party...