Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can you help me identify these seals?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2004, 01:53 AM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts
Default can you help me identify these seals?

i am almost finished assembling the bottom end of the engine, using the rebuild kit from zims. the crank, pistons/rods, oilpan, front and rear seals, oil pump, balance shafts, and water pump are all installed, but i have these seals left over that i cannot determine where they go.

can anybody offer any help? are these for a turbo car?
Old 10-23-2004, 01:54 AM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I think the little thing goes on the back of the cam gear cover rear half, same with that large black o-ring.

Sam
Old 10-23-2004, 02:26 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is one of the crush washers for the oil pan drain? Thats all ive got.
Old 10-23-2004, 02:42 AM
joseph mitro
Race Car

there were many crush washers in this kit - one of which went under the oil pickup tube. certainly there is one for the drain plug, but i can't determine where the rest of them go. like i said, maybe they are extras for a 951.

sam - it would be comforting if those two are for the cam pulley cover, but wouldn't that be included in the UPPER rebuild set? i got two separate packages - a lower rebuild set and an upper rebuild set. have only used the lower so far.
Old 10-23-2004, 04:35 AM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Numbering from left to right, top to bottom:

#1: oil cooler spacer? For inside lower cooler peg if you have the updated housing. (1987 should have this installed?)

#2: Definately the spacer/seal for rear of camtower's front gear housing.

#3: Camtower's front housing O-ring as stated above, or possible crankshaft front seal 0-ring, or maybe inside thermostat O-ring?

Remainder: crush seals or spacers for.......sensors, cam tower plugs, block drain plug, coolant bleed screw,crank ref. sensor spacer, oil pan, spacer for oil cooler?

All above are my guesses! Don't throw any of them away.......ya might find out real soon where they should go.
Old 10-23-2004, 09:26 AM
GlenL
Nordschleife Master

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Haven't any experience with that kit, but the Porsche-spec'd gasket kits (like from Reinz) include a bunch of parts that are not used on every car. And there's no listing of which part goes where on what model. Seems they start with the head gaskets, which are the expensive part, and then toos in every seal, ring and gasket that might go along with those.

I wouldn't worry about it...but save them.
Old 10-23-2004, 09:36 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Don't attack me but if you have the PET diagrams you could identify those seals.

Automobile Atlanta has a free 'Parts Catalog' to download, though some minor bits here and there are missing, it would really help you regarding the engine/seals and stuff.

Here is a link:http://www.autoatlanta.com/model/944catalog.html (Look at the bottom of the page for '944 Hard Parts' Catalog'.
Old 10-23-2004, 09:46 AM
cruise98
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

The clear large seal is for the oil pump pickup. The black one in the kit is for the oil cooler. The small black seal is for the cam housing to cam gear housing. The large o-ring is probably for the oil pump drive. What is the diameter?

The crush washers are probably for the temp sensors, does your upper balance shaft cover have a plug in it? The kits are for several different engines, and there are always some extras. On the turbo engine, the kits are always short a few o-rings and crush washers in the correct sizes.
Old 10-23-2004, 10:50 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Wind chime kit?
Old 10-23-2004, 11:37 AM
joseph mitro
Race Car

thanks for the help everyone.
GlenL - this kit is from Reinz, so it probably does have some extras

Hosrom_951 - I do have the PET program but sometimes it really lacks in details (ie, you can't tell anything about what type of seal based on the diagram). i'll go through it again.

Cruise98 - when you say "oil pump pickup" do you mean the oil pickup tube in the oilpan? and by "oil pump drive" what are you referring to? the o-ring diameter is 33mm OD or 28mm ID. i've already got the crankshaft in and oil pump installed. does this o-ring install between the front main engine seal and the pulleys?

EDIT - I have a lot of last night's rebuild pics on my website (page 5) - click on the rebuilding link in my sig.

Last edited by joseph mitro; 10-23-2004 at 11:59 AM.
Old 10-23-2004, 12:01 PM
GlenL
Nordschleife Master

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by joseph mitro
Hosrom_951 - I do have the PET program but sometimes it really lacks in details (ie, you can't tell anything about what type of seal based on the diagram). i'll go through it again.
Ooof. I've tried this. The re-build kits are listed by part number. Whatcha gotta do is identify every bit you'll need and then cross-reference it against the kit parts list. Hours of fun.
Old 10-23-2004, 12:04 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

And to make matters worse, not all the seals have the part numbers on them, so you can't check it on PET, bt by LOOKING you can guess
Old 10-23-2004, 12:17 PM
cruise98
Three Wheelin'

Oil pump pickup tube in the oil pan. The black one in the kit is for the oil cooler. That has been my experience with the Victor Reinz kits anyway.

Oil pump drive...sleeve is the factory term. The o-ring fits in the bevelled inside lip of the sleeve. If this sleeve has grooves or wear marks in it, replace it, or you will have an oil leak. The order is oil pump, sleeve, seal, o-ring, washer, crank gear. Like Ken said, it is the same part as the water pump block off fitting in your case. The small black seal may not be needed on the 16v head. Not sure on that one.
Old 10-23-2004, 01:33 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

cruise98 - thanks for your help. i figured out the orientation of the seal, and installed it with the washer then the crank pulley. i figured out the remaining crush washers - oil dipstick, temp sensors, and another -yet-unidentified hole in the block.

the only other problem is the clear seal. are you sure this goes on the oil pickup? and if it's left out, what consequence would this have? i've already got the oilpan installed
Old 10-24-2004, 07:45 AM
cruise98
Three Wheelin'

Joseph:

You have to have a seal on the oil pickup tube or you will not develope adequate oil pressure. Did you put the other similar black one on there, or leave it out?

Quick Reply: can you help me identify these seals?