Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

garage almost completed (pic inside)

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2004, 03:52 PM
dualblade
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default garage almost completed (pic inside)

no, there's no lift. yes, i wish there was. however, i do love the workbench i've made for myself. the only thing left on it is to steel top it (i'm getting the steel today) and finish putting pictures up. if anyone has awesome high res 944 pics, i'd sure like to use them. the only requirement is that the picture has to be really interesting/captivating. 944's in the driveway are not exactly what i'm looking for - i'd like them at speed, or in an artistic/abstract sense. consider the surroundings to be as important as the subject.

there's a fridge, a sound system, a computer/tv (computer has a tv tuner), and a phone. all the conveniences of home except for heat (any suggestions for keeping a non insulated garage warm?)

plenty of storage space:
- 20 drawers under the desk
- 2 large (8'x2') shelves above the desk (only one shows in the picture)
- other shelving to the left and right of the picture
- 11 drawer mechanics chest for my tools, and a second smaller one on the ground in front of it

anyways, here she is. i'll update with a pic of the steeltop when i finish that
Old 10-19-2004, 05:29 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 339 Likes on 245 Posts

Not bad. But you really should have insulated the walls before the drywall was installed. That is the first thing I've done to my garage. I built the bench and all the other “accessories” after the wall was insulated. What good is a garage if it is freezing cold in the winter? After all, winter is a perfect time to do all the maintenance and upgrades to the car. To do all that in the freezing cold is a torture and a huge deterrent.

Also when insulating the walls make sure U do the same with the door or doors too.

A good space heater is a must in the winter, even if the garage walls/doors are insulated.
Old 10-19-2004, 06:51 PM
faithless
Pro

Having a lift would be amazing. A pit is also just as nice. If you're building a nice garage, and laying the foundation at the same time, putting in a pit is easy, and low cost. It's probably the safest way to work on a car. And you have a perfect shelf to place your tools on(edge of pit). Doesn't need to be moved, you can store boxes in it or something when you're not using it. Sounds delicious.
Old 10-19-2004, 07:30 PM
dualblade
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Imo000
Not bad. But you really should have insulated the walls before the drywall was installed. That is the first thing I've done to my garage. I built the bench and all the other “accessories” after the wall was insulated. What good is a garage if it is freezing cold in the winter? After all, winter is a perfect time to do all the maintenance and upgrades to the car. To do all that in the freezing cold is a torture and a huge deterrent.

Also when insulating the walls make sure U do the same with the door or doors too.

A good space heater is a must in the winter, even if the garage walls/doors are insulated.
i didnt' really have a choice about the insulation as it's my parents garage and not really mine. i asked them if they wanted to do that and they didn't so i had to work with that i was given. someday when i have my own house i'll have insulation and a lift but for now it's just a really nice place to work. truthfully, the cold's not so bad inside the garage and i have done plenty of winter work out there. you just need a bowl of hot soup when you come in
Old 10-19-2004, 11:21 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Well...here's mine
Old 10-20-2004, 10:39 AM
tinman944
Addict
Rennlist Member

heres mine,28'X38',Heated,ThreeTV's (two on walls one on floor with wheels to watch the race when under a car), DVD VHS, Digital cable, Frig to keep soda and water cool.Working on sound system,and right now a lot of 944 junk that needs to be tossed.
http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/00_covered.jpg
Old 10-20-2004, 12:02 PM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

I love garage threads.

At soon to be 50 years old (6 weeks, ahhhg!) I am about to redo my garage and I inted to do what I've always wanted...a really nicely outfitted, drywalled, floor finished, etc garage. Any news pix out there we haven't seen recently?
Old 10-20-2004, 12:06 PM
bader$
Burning Brakes

I would post pics of mine but it is a disaster right now.
Old 10-25-2004, 02:58 AM
dualblade
Burning Brakes

bump for new pics with the steel tabletop and side of garage with cool porsche banner

Old 10-25-2004, 03:02 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Nice shelves. Wonder how much longer everything is gonna be organized so nicely.
Old 10-25-2004, 03:13 AM
faithless
Pro

ibkevin, looks nice and cozy!! Just get her a nice blankie and thats a wrap.

dualblade, you made the RIGHT CHOICE buying the Microsoft optical mouse. Way to go 5 stars A++! Also, what were you thinking just throwing that paper towel over there on the chest???? Get yourself a fully chromed out paper towel holder, and grease it up nice and good for fast and furious release and tear!!
Old 10-25-2004, 03:15 AM
badass951
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Serge944
Nice shelves. Wonder how much longer everything is gonna be organized so nicely.
If Andrew is anything like me (a true perfectionist), the shelves will be that way forever.

Old 10-25-2004, 03:30 AM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Serge944, I didn't know you are in crew. I was on UCI crew for 2 years a long long time ago.
Old 10-25-2004, 03:35 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Legoland951
Serge944, I didn't know you are in crew. I was on UCI crew for 2 years a long long time ago.
Its my first season. I plan to stick with it for as long as my schedule allows me to. Great workout and lots of fun.

Wait, is ICU the team davis beats year after year? Just kidding.
Old 10-25-2004, 03:49 AM
dualblade
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by badass951
If Andrew is anything like me (a true perfectionist), the shelves will be that way forever.

i am what i call a honed perfectionist. forged from the fire of "where the hell did i put that can of pb blaster", i will now keep everything clean. i clean up my tools every day after i'm done working and sometimes while working as well if i see things getting messy or i don't expect to use them soon. for some perspective, here's the garage last winter:

Quick Reply: garage almost completed (pic inside)