Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944/968 conv start problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 12:09 PM
Tom Carson
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

amazingly Matt just got his 968 engine running too

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum/165319-one-wire-light-at-the-end-of-this-tunnel-long-sorry.html

congrats to both you guys !

most important is Todd Holyoak's wiring chart at:

http://members.rennlist.com/tholyoak...wap_wiring.htm

and pay close attention to his notes. like "As you can see the change that needs to be made is to have a switched 12V supply to pin 7 on the 968 14 pin connector (the connectors aren’t compatible so you will need to splice) ....in the 968 the signal comes from the factory alarm, if the alarm is tripped then no 12V and car doesn’t run."

also per Jared..."instead of just cutting pin#7, I ran a wire from term 85 from the back of the DME relay (like the 968 schematic has)...It seems that term 85 (pin # 7) and term 85b (pin#5) were not getting a correct ground signal. I spliced in a connection from the ground to both, and the fuel pump started working."

It would be interesting to see what happens if that wire was ‘opened’ now…does it still start? If not then Todd's chart may need an update as he say's "the 944 models have term 85 grounded directly"...in this case Jared said it wasn’t 'directly' grounded.

as Matt says it just takes 1 wire out of place and it won't start
Old 10-20-2004, 02:15 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

I am going to get the exact details from my mechanic @ Zotz to post here (please don't call him as he's busy and I don't want a ton of people bothering him) and let you know. I will also post it on my website.

I'm curious Jared -- what did you do with the pin that is on the male side of the connector at the brake booster that Todd's chart says provides 12v power and if you don't make a change you can fry the DME?
Old 10-20-2004, 02:25 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by Jared944
Hey, Matt.... How are things coming along with your project??? Any good news??

No prob Kevin, you did as much as you could! All I need is a length of cable, and I could cut it myself. Either that, or Im going to mod the pulley so its a bit smaller.

Jared
Jared,

I don't have time to read through it right now, but do I understand you correct to say that you are having trouble with the throttle cable?
Old 10-20-2004, 03:29 PM
Jared944
Racer

Yea..... Its too short. I noticed that your throttle cable is routed totally different than mine. Mine comes out of the firewall next to the oil filler, while yours seems to come from a box to the left. I’m going to have to get a longer cable (by about 3/4 of an inch), or find a smaller pulley.

Here are the changes/revisions to Todd's chart :

Pin #7, which provides 12vdc power from the chassis side was just capped. Instead of using that "hot" wire, I ran a wire from term 85 from the back of the fuel relay.

Just to let you know, you only have to ground out term 85b (pin#5), term 85 runs great off of the fuel relay.

If you pull the ground from term 85b, or disconnect term 85 from the fuel relay, the fuel pump stops working.

The alarm pin (#7 next to the pass footwell) needs to be supplied with term 15 power.

Pin # 12 next to the brake booster needs to be supplied with term 30 power.

Thats it......as long as the blasted reference sensor is connected, your good to go.

Congrats Matt!! I gotta thank you for giving me the inspiration to take on such a huge project. Looking back on it, I’m amazed I finished it!

Jared
Old 10-20-2004, 03:52 PM
Jared944
Racer

Hey Matt, Im curious. What exactially are you waiting to hear from the Air Force about?
Old 10-20-2004, 10:22 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Jared -- I'm glad my conversion helped inspire you. We need to get together one day with our S3s!

Regarding the throttle cable, I ordered a used 968 throttle cable from PartsHeaven.com and it connected right up and is the perfect length. You shouldn't have to get any cable to extend it or shorten it at all. The stock 968 one is a perfect fit (at least in the 89 944 and I couldn't imagine it being any different in an 87).

Re: USAF, I'm waiting ot hear back for an OTS class date and pilot slot. Supposidly results are out tomorrow, but it may be delayed a day or two until Monday. These things always are.

Take care - good luck,
Matt
Old 10-20-2004, 11:18 PM
Jared944
Racer

That’s pretty interesting. I’m enlisted in the Air Force right now as an aircraft mechanic. I’m about 6 classes away from being able to apply to OTS, which is my goal here within the next year. I wouldn’t mind fitting into a pilot slot myself It seems us S3 owners have a little more in common than just Porsche's.....

What school were you attending in Florida? Embry Riddle?

So, the stock 968 cable is routed through the firewall the same as my early? I still have the same 83 cable, and it’s about 1/2 to 3/4's of an inch too short. Ill probably end up ordering one; however I don’t quite want to wait for it to come in the mail.

I have 2 things left to do before I can drive the car. The throttle cable, and try to align the rack. I noticed that my wheels were pigeon toed when I was filling up the power steering reservoir. So, I need to try to do a semi-descent alignment until I can get it to a shop to do it professionally.

Jared
Old 10-20-2004, 11:24 PM
Lead Foot 944
Three Wheelin'

My hats off to you Jared.....Unbelievable...! I am so glad that you have proven once again that it can be done...! CAn you do my car next......? Please.... Great work..!

DAmian
Old 10-21-2004, 12:53 AM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by Jared944
I wouldn’t mind fitting into a pilot slot myself It seems us S3 owners have a little more in common than just Porsche's.....

What school were you attending in Florida? Embry Riddle?

So, the stock 968 cable is routed through the firewall the same as my early?

Jared
Jared, you have PM.

BTW, as far as I know, the 968 throttle cable will work. And my advise is to wait a few days and get this done right. Rigging things sometimes don't work and can cause more damage.

-Matt

Quick Reply: 944/968 conv start problem