Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Before you modify your air intake

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2004, 05:58 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts
Unhappy Before you modify your air intake

Be careful!

I have the Callaway intake on my slightly lowered (1") Z28. When Ivan rolled through the car went through a deep puddle. Toasted the OptiSpark (distributor/ignition) which is located on the front of the motor under the water pump.

I put a claim in with insurance and got a check for the list price of a new Opti and 5 hours labor at $41 an hour less the deductible.

Bought a new Opti, water pump, belts, wires etc.

Had the car flatbedded to my wrench on Monday. He took it apart and told me there was water in the air intake.

Sucker just sucked it right through the K&N. Now we have to see if any got into the motor. Of course the only way to find out is install over $600 in parts, a days labor, a toasted battery thanks to AAA insisting they boost it before the tow it, and then hope it starts up.

Moral, if you modify your CAI to pick up the coldest air make sure it also doesn't suck up water.
Old 10-13-2004, 06:01 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,204 Likes on 1,243 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom R.
Moral, if you modify your CAI to pick up the coldest air make sure it also doesn't suck up water.
..........hot air and dirt. Sorry, not a fan of K&N filters after what I've seen in 928's. Then again, you cannot get a better cold air intake than a stock 928.
Old 10-13-2004, 06:08 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh. you mean the ones that pass the air RIGHT over the exhaust?
that sounds like a GREAT cold air intake system to me. I agree.

Old 10-13-2004, 06:10 PM
MartinT
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When Ivan rolled through this area, I did similar thing in my 87 944 n/a, went through a puddle.

Even the stock air intake was half full of water.
As a result I had the following work done:
AFM seems to test OK.
New 02 sensor
New cap & rotor
New plug wires
New air filter.
Oil change

The car still idles rough and cuts out at full throttle, but at least it's back on the road (a good thing as it's my daily and only car). Now to test the TPS.

Martin
Old 10-13-2004, 06:11 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Campeck
oh. you mean the ones that pass the air RIGHT over the exhaust?
I hope to god your not talking about the 928's with this comment.
Old 10-13-2004, 06:27 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

darn tootin I am.
Old 10-13-2004, 06:31 PM
Flight_951
Pro

Tom, can you please put some line breaks in your signature so the page isn't two feet wide?
Old 10-13-2004, 06:34 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Campeck
darn tootin I am.
You should really know what your talking about before opening your mouth (or start typing)

I'm thinking you've seen a few 928's with the intake tube's REMOVED for show. Very common at car shows since you can then view the cam covers. Stock 928's have duel 3 foot tubes that go from the air box to the front of the radiator - taking in cool air from the front of the car. The entire area above, below and beside the radiator is sealed. The only place for air to go is either through the radiator or into the intake tubes. This causes an area of higher pressure below the hood, in front of the intake tubes.

Tell me Campeck, just how will exhaust get into the intake?

Old 10-13-2004, 06:50 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

no no no! not INTO the intake. Im just saying that those tubes pass right over the hot camcovers and exhaust manifold....dont you think those tubes get just a teeny bit hot? especially when they have the insulation removed like in that pic!
Old 10-13-2004, 08:20 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

They are plastic, right? Probably they do get hot, but they do not heat soak as badly as steel or aluminum tubing would.

By the way, based on the experimentation I did this summer, it isn't hot air infiltation that ruins performance when you use a cone filter setup on our cars, it is the cone filter setup itself. The factory airbox and snorkel are apparently pretty well designed and do a pretty good job of accelerating the intake charge into the engine. I did back to back tests with a cone filter and a bone stock airbox setup this summer on dead cold engines and the factory setup idled better and accelerated better. Again, remember this was on a dead cold motor, so heat in the engine compartment couldn't even have played a role.

Additionally, I did a study using temperature probes and discovered that the underhood temperature does actually rise quite a bit when sitting still with the motor running at a light or stop sign. However, once you get rolling for a fair amount of time, or if you get onto a highway for example, the underhood temperature drops to nearly ambient temperature.

And finally, many vehicle pull their intake charge from inside the engine compartment. On a Honda Civic for instance the intake charge is drawn in from the engine compartment, through the resonator in the front bumper area and then back up into the engine compartment and through the filter. Convoluted as hell, but designed to keep induction noise down. Also why Hondas typically respond so well to cone filter setups and CAIs.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:47 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts

The callaway on my Z28 goes down next to the radiator and pulls air in from behind the fog light.

Thanks to Ivan there is moisture in the fog light.

Flight, I thought I got the four pictures with the neato icon to fit on one line and the other two icons on the second line. Is it showing different on your computer?
Old 10-13-2004, 10:05 PM
StupEd05
Pro

My dad keeps his comp at 800x600. Uber low, but at anything above 1024x768 it should be fine. Why must people use small as HELL RESOLUTIONS!!! I cant stand everything being that BIG! Agh!
Old 10-13-2004, 10:37 PM
marky522
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey tom, i'm 1024 X 768 and i have to scroll, doesnt bother me, jsut FYI

Mark

Quick Reply: Before you modify your air intake