Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garage Heaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2004, 05:46 PM
pcarfan944
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Garage Heaters

This might be a little off topic, but now that fall is here with winter right behind it, i'm looking for a good heater for my two car garage. I might be taking on a '85 Jaguar XJS HE fixer up project for my winter hobby and i'd like to work on it, or my 944, without freezing my a$$ off. Can anyone recommend a heater capable of heating a garage to room temperature, and a good store to buy it at? What do you use? Thanks

Pat
86 944
Old 10-13-2004, 05:49 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

I second that question. I have a propane heater, but it draws the gas so fast it freezes the cylinder. Not an efficient way to do things
Old 10-13-2004, 06:03 PM
ckathens
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pcarfan944
This might be a little off topic, but now that fall is here with winter right behind it, i'm looking for a good heater for my two car garage. I might be taking on a '85 Jaguar XJS HE fixer up project for my winter hobby and i'd like to work on it, or my 944, without freezing my a$$ off. Can anyone recommend a heater capable of heating a garage to room temperature, and a good store to buy it at? What do you use? Thanks
LOL.. Now you know why i left Minneapolis 3 years ago! I don't know how i would work in my parent's garage - my fingers would probably stick to the metal on the car..
Old 10-13-2004, 06:49 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 118 Posts

If your garge is not insulated, you might work on that first. Then make sure you get a good door seal, and sort out any drafts.

I think the only heaters you can afford to run a lot are the natural gas forced air units like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...926436110&rd=1

-Joel.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:05 PM
fwb42
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Guys,One thing to remember is that gas fumes will lay close to the floor,so no open flame!!! you might want to look at the "infared heaters" and mount them on the ceiling.These heaters will heat the objects in the room and not the air at first.It would be good to check your local Fire Dept before you get too crazy heating things up....FRED
Old 10-13-2004, 07:38 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 209 Likes on 135 Posts

This was always a dream of mine, one which came true with the new place.. You didn't mention if you have gas available. I have gas, and I bought, and cuz helped install a 60,000 BTU forced air gas heater kind of like the one in that E-bay ad. It was $280 (give or take), and they now make flexible gas line that made it easy to tap in. You also need to make a hole thru the wall to vent the burners. I now have a thermostat on the wall I set to whatever I need and it heats right up. I usually keep it around 40 or 45 in the winter, and bump it to 70 when I'll be working out there. Yea, the floor stays cold unless you leave it hot for a long while, radiant heat warms the floor. I hated fussing with K1 heaters and such, they never seemed to raise the temp up to a comfortable level. It is such a treat to have a 70 degree garage in the middle of winter. I usually have a mardi-gras shindig, and it makes for a great smoking area/dart room/annex of living space. If you don't want to spend that $$$, start by insulating. You'll be amazed how much heat goes out thru a thin garage door. At least the walls have two layers. My first house had a fiberglass (junk) door that I insulated with those cheap fiberglass ceiling panels. 2x thick made a noticable difference in my woodburning stove heated garage.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:42 PM
Jack '84 928s
Drifting

Kerosene Torpedo heaters http://www.woodlandproducts.com/p258.asp scroll down on that page show you what they look like. My dad had one in his shop years ago they work damn good! I think kerosene is cheap too.

Old 10-13-2004, 08:04 PM
Wade B
Cleveland Rocks
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

K2 heaters like the Reddy Heater pictured above are the least expensive way to go. No installation. $120-$250. But they warm things up quickly and if you don't have a thermostat, you have to keep turning it on/off so you won't sweat/freeze. And the fumes can get bothersome at times. I used one for a long time (that's how I know!!!). I'd like to have a set up like Dan P mentioned.
Old 10-13-2004, 08:13 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have used electric baseboard heaters in the past. Then again, my garage is attached, so if I really need it warm, I leave the door open, lol.

I would reccomend natural gas, forced air, but that's just a personal preference. Infra-red propane heaters and such will work as well.

Radiant in-floor heating would be a dream. Nothing like laying on a nice warm concrete floor working on a car!
Old 10-13-2004, 10:04 PM
speedracing944
Advanced

I have a 60K BTU K-1 heater like the picture above. I found out it has an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. I can get more like 80K out of it and go down to around 30K just by turning a screw on the back. The fumes come more from starting and stopping the heater than from a constant burn. I used to use my thermostat but now I throttle the heater down after it heats the garage up to temp. No more fumes.
Old 10-13-2004, 10:20 PM
Wade B
Cleveland Rocks
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by speedracing944
I have a 60K BTU K-1 heater like the picture above. I found out it has an adjustable fuel pressure regulator.
Cool! Now you are already set up if you want to run a better AFM and more boost and get more fuel to the.........

Ooops, sorry, its that boost addiction thing again.......

Seriuosly, I'll have to check mine out, see if I can do that too. Thanks for the info!
Old 10-13-2004, 10:41 PM
PaulStewart
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Use electric baseboard or an overhead electric heater or a sealed combustion chamber gas unit that uses outside air. No open flames, ask me how I know!

Unvented propane, gas, or kerosene heaters are not only dangerous, but they also dump a lot of water into the air which will rust your tools and parts.
Old 10-13-2004, 10:48 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

some day ill have a garage w/ a heated floor- but for now i use a propane tank w/ the square heater on the top..works well, esp. if your garage is insulated well and you do some work.
Old 10-13-2004, 11:07 PM
camelot
Instructor

The safe way to go is what they call direct vent heater. It uses outside air which comes thru a double wall pipe that exhaustes outside. It not only vents but slightly preheats incoming air. I have a Williams direct vent wall heater which fits between studs by design in my garage for about 10 years now and burn about 200 gals. of propane a season with it on continuous for about 5mths a year, here in ct. Keep in mind an 8ft ceiling helps for heat lost to rafters. Worked many years in my fathers garage freezing my butt off and swore when I was old enough and had my own garage I would have heat phone cable tv and a fridge. Well I'm 50yrs old now and it finally came true. So take your time and BE SAFE! Alex
Old 10-13-2004, 11:13 PM
IMB951
Drifting

wow thats alotta BTU's!!

lol, reminds me of that Seinfeld episode where Kramer gets the hot tub and keeps bragging about the BTU's

Quick Reply: Garage Heaters