Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear ended by someone without insurance!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2004, 12:15 AM
skene
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry rear ended by someone without insurance!!

Like the title says. So how bad is it going to be to fix a bent rear panel? Of course it was an SUV so it completely missed my bumper, smashing both rear lights and putting some nice sized dents in the back too. The hatch and the part it clips into are find though, so that's good.

I'll get some quotes tomorrow, but any thoughts on how much it'd cost to pull out the back panel and new rear light panels? For that matter, does anyone have any rear light panels for sale?

The parents of the unfortunate 22 year old, uninsured, single mother of 2, driving on a suspended licence offered to pay the whole thing rather then go through my insurance company. If they'll live up to it, I'd rather do that since I don't exactly have the greatest record to begin with. Any suggestions on that front are welcome as well.

On the bright side, it's not too cold for me to ride my motorcycle to work while my car gets fixed and I have a good reason to get the holes from that rear PORSCHE panel filled in.
Old 10-13-2004, 01:26 AM
AznDrgn
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got an S2 here with a perfect rear end if you need any parts and on top of that I'm up in NOVA every other week or so. PM me if you need anything.
Old 10-13-2004, 01:38 AM
bloodraven
Race Car

the taillights on my car are still in good condition...if I part it out they will be up for sale
Old 10-13-2004, 01:46 AM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Bent quarter panel normally mean the rear frame is bent and car is totaled. Check the frame section by the gas tank above the rear wheels and you may find bad news.
Old 10-13-2004, 02:23 AM
Jack '84 928s
Drifting

What kind of coverage do you have? If you have uninsured motorist it covers this very situation. I try to convince people they need it, when i sell auto insurance. I hate hearing people call when they get in a wreck like this and dont have it, yelling in the phone and then they cancell. Always make sure you have it if you elect for liability only coverage. Also your rates will not go up since it is not your fault..
Old 10-13-2004, 02:57 AM
v944god
Addict
Rennlist Member

Happened to a friend of mine at his highschool, cute girl backed right up on his car, baam hit him, he didn't see any damage and felt she was too cute to bother with the problem. He let her go w/o calling the cops or taking any information. Later on the week a cop walked into the classroom, had him pulled out, and said he was involved in a hit and run. The girls parents saw the damage, she told some bull**** story that he hit her and he left, so they tried putting the fault on him.
Old 10-13-2004, 03:15 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Call the cops, get a ticket issued... dont mess around.
Old 10-13-2004, 08:45 AM
Uranium-235
Three Wheelin'

If you want to settle with her outside the insurance company, I recommend getting a legal agreement drawn up and both of you need to sign it with the proper witnesses. Otherwise, you're going to hear "well, I can pay $50 this month, and my friend said she is getting money from her ex, so I can have $100 next month..."
Old 10-13-2004, 08:50 AM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Ian was selling one of those rear panel light thingys.
Old 10-13-2004, 08:59 AM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't understand the US system where you don't get any cover by your insurance if the other part isn't insured.. What is your insurance good for in that case? Anyone who can explain how it works?
Old 10-13-2004, 09:24 AM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

This happened to me about 2 years ago (my car wans't damaged nearly so bad as the other 3 in this accident). Driver was given a ticket and claimed the "the girl at the office" forgot to give him the insurance card. The guy worked for a small carpenter/remodeling company, near where I work. I tried to contact them several times in hopes of avoiding paying my deductible. The company packed up and diappeared within a week. The state wrote me letters claiming they were after him and I provided receipts for the damage but never heard another word.
The same thing happened to my daughter a week ago, still waiting for the police report, I guess I'l just take the hit on the deductible (again)....grumble grumble
Old 10-13-2004, 09:32 AM
GlenL
Nordschleife Master

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Just went through, no still going through, with an uninsured driver. Won the conciliation court case (she no-showed) and next it's the "Sheriffs Lien" so I can seize money or property.

No insurance usually because they're broke. Now try and collect.

To Anders' questions: If the car is covered by "comprehensive" insurance then it will cover the damage and take on collecting. With the legal minimum "liability" you're on your own.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:34 AM
sweanders
Race Director

Originally Posted by GlenL
To Anders' questions: If the car is covered by "comprehensive" insurance then it will cover the damage and take on collecting. With the legal minimum "liability" you're on your own.
Ok, similar system to ours here in Sweden then.
Old 10-13-2004, 10:25 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Call an ambulance chaser; if you feel guilty about suing the crap out of someone, they won't - they'll do the dirty work for you, guilt-free!
Old 10-13-2004, 02:23 PM
skene
Burning Brakes

Thanks for all the replies guys. I filed a police report last night, and I've got uninsured motorist coverage so the whole thing can be covered by my insurance and they get to go after her for the money. I know my rates are suppose to not go up since I'm not at fault, but I know of too many situations where they still stick it to you because you've had a claim. I've not got the greatest record ( a couple speeding tickets over the last few years) and would rather not have the rates go up anymore. My thought is to not go through my insurance only if the whole repair bill is put on their card from the get go. Of course if they won't or can't pay, then Progressive gets to take a shot at them.
It looks like this girl has made a good number of bad choices in life and her parents keep bailing her out, so we'll see if they do again.

Thanks for the offers for parts too. I may be in touch for some rear lights. I'm most worried about what legoland mentioned about the rear frame damage. My dad was nice and offered to pick my car up and take it to get a couple quotes durring the day, so hopefully they will say the damage isn't too bad. I'll try to post a pic later today when I get home.

Quick Reply: rear ended by someone without insurance!!