Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accident...totaled

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 08:36 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile
To answer your question, no - you're not at fault if you're driving an SUV and someone pulls out in front of you and you hit them, but you do have to live with the fact that if you happen to injure or kill the other driver, your choice of vehicle might have prevented it.

An SUV is an inherently poor and rather insensitive choice of vehicle insofar as it attempts to protect its occupants by killing the other guy; the things are rolling safety hazards - they have huge blind spots, awful CGs, you can't see around them and the mass of the vehicle is right about where the glass of most "normal" car drivers (including 944s) is - to say nothing of the heads of the drivers. The braking action sucks as well - it's a lot easier to stop a 2,500 or even 3,000 pound car than a 5,000 or 6,000 pound SUV.

It just seems unnecessary to me to go out of your way to endanger the lives of your fellow motorists so you can pretend to be part of the "Eddie Bauer" crowd while the truth is you're probably a cubicle rat and will probably never take the thing on a dirt road, much less off-road. Poseur wagons. Bah!

You are a total moron. How do you know why I purchased the vehicle, and what my lifestyle is that makes the SUV a good choice for me? You ASSume too much. Thanks for giving me someone else to add to my ignore list.
Attached Images  

Last edited by tifosiman; 10-07-2004 at 08:55 AM.
Old 10-07-2004, 08:57 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tifosiman
You are a total moron. How do you know why I purchased the vehicle, and what my lifestyle is that makes the SUV a good choice for me? You ASSume too much. Thanks for giving me someone else to add to my ignore list.
C'mon Tifo. I don't think P-O-P means it like you're taking it. He doesn't like SUVs and you do. No need to ignore him permanently!
Old 10-07-2004, 09:04 AM
seb928s
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ERAU-944
wow seb, you're a real douchebag. first off its a car, not a wife, or a dog. yes it hurts to lose a car that you've got ties with, but it is JUST A CAR. i'm not 'worried' about wheels or anything, i already have a couple sets of nice fuchs. i figured if i could help him out with some cash then why not. if he's not selling, thats fine, and he can tell me. i don't need you to say it for him and/or scold me.

i wasn't bidding on the wheels, all i asked was if he was going to sell that i get first dibs. thanks for trying to make me look like the a-hole that YOU ARE. all you like to do on here is sell stuff and scold me, when in fact you help very little on the board. look up plenty of times i've offered helpful advice. maybe if he pays you enough you can part out his car for him. things like this make me not want to renew my membership.

the list: Tom R., Sebastian

anyhow, i'm really sorry about this crap tim. several times i've tried to find parts for you in my garage, unfortunately pretty unsuccessfully. if there's anything i can do for you to get you back into a pcar let me know.

-Mike-
Yep I sure am man. Look up how many times I helped out people on the board. I haven't even sold a part on rennlist in a good year but "I'm still on here just to sell crap" so tell me who is here selling parts. Mike can we grow up a bit and stop calling people names?
Old 10-07-2004, 09:10 AM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW, what a puny little list you have there. Expand that a little and Rennlist becomes enjoyable again.

Sorry about the car Tim. good luck!
Old 10-07-2004, 09:18 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Originally Posted by OriginalSterm
WOW, what a puny little list you have there. Expand that a little and Rennlist becomes enjoyable again.

It used to be longer, but in my old age I have become a softie and removed a few.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:22 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

glad your ok blood, now its time to look for the next best thing...
Old 10-07-2004, 09:28 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
C'mon Tifo. I don't think P-O-P means it like you're taking it. He doesn't like SUVs and you do. No need to ignore him permanently!
Hey Luis,

I hear your point and appreciate it, but he slammed all people that drive SUV's including me by that rant. If you read it, it paints me as an insensitive person who just cares about being trendy and sticks my nose up at the safety of others and the environment. He couldn't be anymore off base. Painting people with such a broad brushstroke for something such as car choice and insulting them is childish and just wrong. Frankly, that's the same thing that you hear people on this BBS moaning about. "He won't wave to me because I drive a 944 and he has a 911 and he thinks he is better than me" and "People think that because you have a Porsche you are rich and stuck up". It's just wrong. All of it. And frankly to have someone that I consider to be one of our own say such things about me, pisses me off.

I'm sorry if you don't understand.

Also, I apologize to all for participating in the hijacking of Tim's thread.
Old 10-07-2004, 10:36 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

Hey Luis,

I hear your point and appreciate it, but he slammed all people that drive SUV's including me by that rant. If you read it, it paints me as an insensitive person who just cares about being trendy and sticks my nose up at the safety of others and the environment. He couldn't be anymore off base. Painting people with such a broad brushstroke for something such as car choice and insulting them is childish and just wrong. Frankly, that's the same thing that you hear people on this BBS moaning about. "He won't wave to me because I drive a 944 and he has a 911 and he thinks he is better than me" and "People think that because you have a Porsche you are rich and stuck up". It's just wrong. All of it. And frankly to have someone that I consider to be one of our own say such things about me, pisses me off.

I'm sorry if you don't understand.

Also, I apologize to all for participating in the hijacking of Tim's thread.
Dude,
I just posted a similar thought in Matt's thread.

This mine is better than yours crapola is probably gets to me more than it gets to you!

While on the mine is better topic, I am 90% driving the mullet to Florence the week of the 18th (not insured for the S2 because it is business). Wanna try it out? That's assuming I still have a back after the drive.

Sorry Tim!
Old 10-07-2004, 11:18 AM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Tom, get a set of good aftermarket seats for the mullet. Corbeau makes some nice ones for not a lot of money. Your back will thank you. GM never made any seats that were worth a darn.

I'm a little miffed that in a thread about a fellow Rennlister's car being totaled that there is so much infighting and sniping at each other going on. I think it would be a good idea to use PM's for the personal battles. I think some of us need to step back and think a little before posting.

Bloodraven, I hope your insurance company does you right. You may want to have a doctor check you out to make sure that you won't have any nagging injuries.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:18 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, I seem to have struck a nerve with some people - maybe that in itself isn't so bad; perhaps it will give some individuals pause to consider what they're doing next time they're contemplating buying a vehicle. . .

Look, if you REALLY think it's necessary to drive around in one of those environmental time-bombs / safety hazards, then that's your choice. It's an inherently poor choice, but it is yours and I suppose I have to respect at least that aspect of it.

I don't really want to perpetuate the thread hijack any more but I'll put the question forward (I've asked it before and never gotten a satisfactory response): exactly what is the purpose of an SUV then? Why do they exist? What can they do / offer you that another type of vehicle can't do equally well or better? (ok, that's three questions, but you get the point). The current SUV craze in this country is absolutely idiotic. In a time when we should be valuing conservation of resources and trying to use LESS gas, we go out and buy these retarded 5,000-pound, 6,000-pound, 7,000 pound, and bigger SUVs to toodle around to work or to the mall in. WHY?!?!?! It's totally inappropriate and the safety issues are well-documented. There was a report that came out recently by the DOT where they looked at the fatality rates of individuals in cars involved in crashes with other cars versus SUVs - you're something like 90 times more likely to be killed in a crash with an SUV! And guess what? The Grim Reaper doesn't give a flying fig about whose fault it was either! I'm sorry, but someone's choice to buy one of these arguably unnecessary vehicles regardless of reason (which is usually a rationalization anyway) is a DIRECT endangerment of MY life, and I don't appreciate it. That's all.

I'm sorry if you don't like it. I don't like being stigmatized as a "rich snob" for driving a Porsche either, but that's a consequence of what I did in buying it. You bought the thing, now deal with the consequences of it. Rant OVER, let's drop this crap and go find BR a new P-car, okay?
Old 10-07-2004, 11:51 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

Pete,
It isnt so much the seats as the shocks. They are revalved bilsteins. I called Doug Rippie to get specifics on the valving. The fellow I spoke to had an SS with basically the same setup. He said the shocks were a bit too stiff for the street and he puts in the factory DeCarbons for the street, and his Bilsteins for the track. Swapping the chrome factory 17" rims for factory 16" made it more bearable. Reality is the 944 is better for a long drive, and my Legend Coupe was even better than the 944.

Wanna meet up one nite the week of the 18th? You can see for youself how stiff the mullet is.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:11 PM
bloodraven
Race Car

I was checked out by the doctor and have a followup next week. I have some contusions and a strained tendon in my back. Nothign serious. Claim guy is looking at my car as we speak...pics will be gotten as soon as I can get my hands on a digital camera or a decent throwaway camera....
Old 10-07-2004, 01:07 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tim, glad you are okay. When you start parting put together a spreadsheet of the parts you have and how much you would like to get for them. Use www.xe.com to get the exchange rate for CAD and put a column in for that. While it is a shame to lose another 951 they are almost always worth more in parts than whole. Let me know if you need any help setting it up.
Old 10-07-2004, 01:53 PM
marky522
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey BR sorry about your loss, and sorry about the hijack earlier, i just think that P-O-P is an insensitive ***, Good luck with the hunt for a new car.

Mark
Old 10-07-2004, 01:54 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

You know, its threads like this that caused me to let my Rennlist membership lapse and lurk more than post. Every once in a while I go to rejoin, wanting to support John and his efforts. Then one of these threads show up and I leave for a few weeks.

A fellow owner posts the details of an upsetting and life-threatening event, hoping for some advice and solace - and you morons turn it into a catfight about Sport Utility Vehicles. Hell, a Corolla probably would have totaled his car in that accident!

This board used to be full of information, humor, and support.
Some of those people are still here, a few more have joined, but some of you are just annoying fools looking for a soapbox.

Just one guy's opinion. Don't bother to flame me - I'm not listening.

Quick Reply: Accident...totaled