Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

POs liked stereos and alarm system

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2004, 06:16 PM
GlenL
Nordschleife Master

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Default POs liked stereos and alarm system - Updated: pulled alarm

My PO was into car audio and there was also an aftermarket alarm installed. (Oicture the mess.) Now, the wipers don't work, no washer fluid squirts, the interior lights don't come on, the hatch release doesn't work and the radio has lost power. Tried new fuses as some were needed. That produced a subtle burning wiring smell. Soooo...

Searched the archives and came up with those very handy official wiring diagrams on the pelican website.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/944/elec...l_diagrams.htm

They just have the '78 924 and '84 944 there. Will the '84 versions work for my '87 or were there wiring changes like around the 85.5 model changes? Anywhere else to get them?

Thanks.

Last edited by GlenL; 02-19-2005 at 10:52 AM.
Old 10-01-2004, 07:15 PM
steve g
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

And I thought I was having fun removing what the PO of my car installed:
- a K40 radar detector wired to front and rear sensors in both bumpers,
- a Pioneer am/fm/cassette,
- rubber fender mounted antenna,
- a cellphone with a speaker mounted on the console and hatch mounted antenna
My car must weigh 50 lbs lighter considering all of the wiring and stuff removed. Luckily everything works fine once I removed all the non factory wires. The oem AM/FM cassette fired up perfectly with the oem equalizer and the window mounted antenna with factory amplifier even worked well.
Old 10-01-2004, 08:43 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There was a guy on eBay selling "Porsche wiring diagrams" a couple of months ago -- I picked up a set of diagrams for my 968 back then. Not sure if he's has more to sell...
Old 10-01-2004, 08:59 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glen, PM me with your email...I may have some wiring diagrams in a .pdf file for that car...If I do, I'll email em to ya.
Old 02-19-2005, 10:49 AM
GlenL
Nordschleife Master

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Thought to update this old post...

Finally "had it" with the PO's POS alarm system. Car wouldn't start at The Mall one day. Used the handy DME jumper to connect the starter switch wires at the alarm controller and it fired right up. Nice of them to actually label the connections and use 1/4" spade lugs.

So I decide to pull it. After much testing to try and figure out the switch system, I just pulled the box and put in a new jumper for the starter. (Only need a two-connector not the three needed for the DME.) Gave up trying to make the locks work right...and learned that they did. I had been afraid to close the door but the lock wouldn't lock otherwise. (Doh!)

So here's the jump-up: figured out the interlock for the starter and jumpered those wires. Pulled the rest of the unit leaving all wires intact. Works like a charm.
Old 02-19-2005, 01:15 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you want an alarm, just use the factory one; they were good and way ahead of their time. They're good enough to give you the insurance discount and it's OE and won't screw anything up.

Quick Reply: POs liked stereos and alarm system