Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Firewall stud cable ties

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 01:15 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Firewall stud cable ties

I'm about out of the free supply that HellermannTyton sent me for the battery cable project. They sent me many hundreds in some sort of screw up out of Germany and I just kept my mouth shut when I saw what they did.

But I'm about out of them. Another Rennlister told me to go to the local Porsche dealer and see what they wanted for the ties. It used to be around 4 or 5 bucks per tie. Well, this dealer will sell them for 70 cents each. This is still sort of expensive considering regular ties go for a few cents but is a great solution for guys that want to replace all the stud ties in the engine bay.

Maybe some other dealers will sell them for less but I know the wholesale is 30 cents when you order 10,000 so you can see it is an expensive part as not many are made.

That is the scoop for people that want the ties.
Old 09-23-2004, 10:03 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

So does this mean you will be offering them for sale?

I found a bunch had been cut by the shop that repaired my car before I became owner. While I was in there fixing stuff I figured I'd replace them too. As you say the dealer wants about $5 each for them.

So, if you are offering them - how much do you need for about 10? If this is just info - thanks.

Old 09-23-2004, 10:06 AM
Flight_951
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, good info. Do you have the part no. handy for those ties?
Old 09-23-2004, 10:57 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Scott, I wasn't planning on selling them alone. I was just looking for an alternative source to get them for a reasonable cost and minimum quantity since I include them in my battery cable packages as part of the hardware kit. My other alternative was ordering a pile direct from Germany but the minimum is a $3,000 order, which wasn't a too attractive solution. Another Minnesota Rennlister told me about this alternative. If your local Porsche dealer won't let you have them for 70 cents I guess I could get them for you but it is a lot of work and shipping expense for such a small deal. But if you are going to do the whole engine bay there are a bunch of these ties in there.

Flight, Yes I do! As a forward, apparently the dots . . . in the Porsche parts numbers are now old school and they are taking to replacing them with dashes - - -. The part number in their current PET system is 443-971-850-A

Get them while you can as I have a suspicion that this is some sort of pricing fluke that may be corrected sooner rather than later. And then we are back to $5 a copy. Think about it, a part that costs 30 cents wholesale in 10,000 lots and a Porsche dealer is only marking it up 100%. Something smells very wrong.
Old 09-23-2004, 11:07 AM
marky522
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://www.delcity.net/tstore/servl...714&pageitem=1

Hey iceshark, i was looking through a catalouge and saw they have these, would they be a useable alternative? The only problem i see is the hole in the ziptie is too big? The difference in price is quite noticable, for the 1 Por$che tie you get 100 of these ties.

Mark
Old 09-23-2004, 11:25 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I need about 10 of them myself.
Old 09-23-2004, 12:36 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Marky, yeah those are the standard ties that you put a screw through the hole or slip it over a stud and bolt it down.

They won't work in our case and I've put around 30 hours into this part of finding ties. I know more about cable ties than any human should.

The stud Porsche, Audi and other crazy manufacturers weld in has a very unusual thread pitch. No normal nut will fit it. So you either have to get these special ties with the flaps that will grab the threads or go with with your hole ties and a nylon 6.6 nut that will deform threads and screw over the strange stud.

Bottom line is get the ties at 70 cents while you can even though it is quite the rip job.
Old 09-23-2004, 04:04 PM
elf89
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I stopped at the dealer (Concours Motors in Milwaukee) today to pickup oil filters (which they were out of grrr), but I asked about the Firewall Stud Cable Ties. They had several different sizes, but the 140mm x 3.6mm which was about what I remembered in IceShark's kit were $1.48 each. Special order item that would take 3 or 4 days to get.

He referred to them as a "watercooled" part and said they have been harder to get since the 928s and 968s went away. I didn't bother to point out that all the new ones are watercooled.

Edit: Just spoke to Jason at Paragon to order the darn oil filters and asked if they sold the zip ties. He said he's been asked before and that he'd look into it.

Last edited by elf89; 09-23-2004 at 04:20 PM.

Quick Reply: Firewall stud cable ties