Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Doorlocks don't work!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 05:47 PM
Cyrus951
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doorlocks don't work!!!!

Hey,

My power doorlocks don’t work anymore.
Whenever I try to unlock the door from outside, the key moves, but the lock doesn’t unlock. I can also hear the little black box under the dash that’s for the power door locks go “click click.” Also, whenever I push the central locking button on the center console, the locks don’t do anything, all I can hear is the black box go “click, click”
I checked the two fuses for the central locking system, they’re both ok.
Can anyone tell me what’s wrong? I can’t lock/unlock my doors!

Thanks
Old 09-20-2004, 05:58 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 62 Posts

your central locking system motor has gone kaput in the locked position; get access to the inside of the car and see if you can unlock it through there by pulling up on the door lock. I'm not sure how the central locking mechanism works but maybe someone can explain the fix for this. Good Luck Cyrus

Andy
Old 09-20-2004, 06:02 PM
Giantviper
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Well, i am not sure exactly how to fix ur problem but i do have some suggestions on what could be wrong and how to test it.

1. I had a problem with my door locks at one time where my center console button did not work and both door would only lock when i jused the key on the pasenger side door. To fix this i found that the door lock actuator had fallen off on one of my doors. I could be possible that maybe both of yours have fallen off. The actuator is a little plastic clip inside the door connected to the lock that tells the computer if the doors are locked or unlocked which lets the computer(or module not realy sure what it is called) decide weather to move the lock. To see if the actuators are connected you have to remove the interior door panel. The actuators are little white plastic things. I have foudn the old actuators can fall off is the doors are closed too hard.

2. the second test you can perform is to find a car that u know the locks work correctly on and swich the electric door lock comp. (module) if the locks work correctly with the new module you lknow that is your problem and you can order a new one. If the locks still do not work right my best guess would be the actuators in the doors.

I hope this helps.
Old 09-20-2004, 06:36 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 106 Posts

Does the pass. side lock/unlock with the key? Do the doors still open and close using the handles? Can you lock the drivers door from inside by pushing down the lock? With answers to the above questions, it's really easy to figure out. There is no Central Locking Motor, just a solenoid at each door. Your solenoids are working so I'd suspect a part has fallen off. As impossible as it seems, your plastic connector from the solenoid to the lock lift might have fallen off one or both sides.
Old 09-20-2004, 08:04 PM
Cyrus951
Rennlist Member

The passenger side doesn't unlock either.
The doors can open with the handle from both inside and outside.
I can lock the driver door by pushing down from the inside, but I have to push down really hard.

Let me add that I was in the process of installing my keyless entry system, and at one point in time, two wires crossed, and the power door locks would lock, unlock, lock, unlock really fast like ten times, then I disconnected those crossed wires, and they stopped. I think they both stopped working after that.

If the solenoid has fallen off, then why does the signal reach that black power door lock box under the dash? Whenever I try to lock the door from the outside, the only thing that happens is that black box goes "click, click", the locks don't move. Same thing happens when I push the central locking button on the center console.

btw- I've disconnected the keyless entry system completly, but the doors still won't lock/unlock.
Also, I checked behind the door panel, and nothing appeared broken, and nothing was on the bottom of the door.

What does the solenoid look like? Any pics?
Old 09-20-2004, 11:14 PM
Cyrus951
Rennlist Member

bump,

I really need my doors to lock, tomorrow I'm parking it in Pomona!!
Old 09-21-2004, 10:43 AM
dme
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

You have multiple paths for initiating the lock/unlock mechanism. When you use the key, then there is a small microswitch on each lock that signals the Central Locking Controller to lock/unlock the doors. You also have the position of the lock itself which will signal the CLM to lock or unlock the door. That is why you must have the solenoids adjusted properly to keep the locks from unlocking as soon as you try to lock them. If you can hear the CLM clicking then it is probably working. If I was to guess, then I would say either the linkage between the solenoids and the locks are both broken/off or maybe did you cut the wires going to the solenoids when you were installing your keyless entry? When I got my car the electric locks did not work because the PO cut the solenoid wires for a keyless entry and then later removed the keyless entry. I wrote a complete description of the door lock system about 5 or 6 months ago on this forum.
Old 09-21-2004, 08:17 PM
Cyrus951
Rennlist Member

I'm assuming the solenoid wires are the ones that are wrapped in a white wire, with about 3 or 4 colored wires inside, if so, they're fine.
Old 09-21-2004, 09:37 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Dude,
Take the drivers side door panel off and see if the white plastic rod at the end of the solenoid is still attached to the lock lift. If it is just dangling there it needs to be popped back on. Several folks have asked you this with no response yet. That's the very first thing to check given your symptoms. They fall off all the time as the closure flap breaks off and the socket is then too big to stay on the ball.

Part #2

Old 09-21-2004, 10:33 PM
Cyrus951
Rennlist Member

oops, sorry.
The plastic piece connected to the rods on each door are both connected and secure.
I'm out working on the car now, so gimme more info
Old 09-21-2004, 10:38 PM
Cyrus951
Rennlist Member

DME,

I tapped into the wires in the harness that connect to that black box (CLM) under the dash, it's mounted to the steering column.

I know the microswitches for both doors are working because every time I try to unlock the doors from the outside, I can hear the CLM working.
Whats bugging me is that even when I push the central locking button on the center console, the locks don't do anything, the CLM just clicks twice.

What happens after the CLM clicks? Does the CLM send a signal to the solenoid to open?
Old 09-21-2004, 10:45 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you lock them manually, then hold the door latch closed when you close the door to kep them locked? Give that a try.
Old 09-21-2004, 10:52 PM
Cyrus951
Rennlist Member

Yes I can, and I've noticed that the passenger side lock can be pushed down easily with one finger, whereas the driver side lock needs A LOT more force. I don't know if this has anything to do with the problem, but I thought I'd point it out.

After reading DME's writeup from a couple months ago, I'm starting to think that my CLM is busted.
If anyone has a spare that I can use to test in my car, I'd really appreciate you letting me borrow it, I'll pay shipping, etc. It's that black box, about 6 inches long 2 inches wide, with two gold prongs on the back that mount to the back of the steering column.
Old 09-22-2004, 12:13 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Cyrus,
Do you need a full schematic of the Central Locking System. I could email you the full sheet if that would help. It's just too hard to sit at the other end of a problem and try to figure this all out, give me a DVM and I could probably figure it out. Look at the schematic and start at the power source. Shoot me your email for the schematics. There must be a relay or fuse that's failing or failed if they won't click anymore. Just trying to help...electrical problems are a Bitch! About that bike, I'll trade you for a Schwinn Cruizer.

Steve
Old 09-22-2004, 12:25 AM
dme
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

You may have done some damage to the CLm when the wires were crossed. I don't have a spare module but you should be able to do some of the tests I described in the post some months back. Particularly do the test for the servo connections. Use a 9 volt battery and test it across the leads as described. If they work then I would lean towards a CLM problem. Take the CLM apart and check for problems. I had to resolder a connection on mine. God help me, but I love working on these wierd problems. I never would have learned the system otherwise.

Quick Reply: Doorlocks don't work!!!!