Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Early and Later cars different oil cooler gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 11:34 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Early and Later cars different oil cooler gasket?

I bought an Oil Cooler Seal kit from Paragon that was suppose to work on an early 944. Either we installed it wrong or its a piece of crap because the car now leaks oil.

Do early and later 944's use different gaskets and would putting a later gasket on an early car cause an oil leak?
Old 09-19-2004, 11:44 PM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's the details... I did the work, everything went smoothly except that I missed the sealing ring on the releif valve, I put it in and the leak appears to be at the block to housing mating surface, no mixing of fluids so far. The seal that came out was red/orange with no metal, the new seal was green with the metal shim. I thought this was an update?? There may just be a little dirt on the sealing face, I did the job in the car an with minimal tools/ cleaning supplies.

Rock said someone told him(after the fact) that you can't use the green seal with the metal on the early cars and that it should be a red seal, just rubber. Anyone know?? TIA
Old 09-19-2004, 11:52 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Yeah... if anybody knows speak up because this will save us a lot of this
Old 09-20-2004, 04:52 AM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have installed the "green" gaskets on both of cars I have. The "red" ones were the individual, original seals. And just so you know, one of these gaskets kits I used, came from Paragon. The kit you got should work for all NA years of these cars.

FWIW, there is a TSB # 8904, that shows that the oil coolers were to be modified starting in '87. It also says, "When repairing earlier cars, the new type housing, plastic washer, and adjusting shims must be used". With a modified oil cooler housing, you will use the white plastic washer that comes in the kit. If it is not modified, you won't use it. Everything else is the same. Clark's garage process shows the process for a modified housing IIRC. I did not use this plastic washer on either of my early cars, housings were not modified. TSB also shows this"green" intregal gasket kit as a replacement.

It sure sounds like you have the right gasket kit to me. HTH
Old 09-20-2004, 12:57 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Thank you Granite . We just did something wrong probally due to lack of time and tools... and pizza.
Old 09-20-2004, 02:51 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Yep, they all use the same gasket set.
I think it was the lack of pizza that doomed the job to fail =)
Old 09-20-2004, 05:17 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Zero10
Yep, they all use the same gasket set.
I think it was the lack of pizza that doomed the job to fail =)
Wait a minute! I heard no mention of BEER. Thats what happened! That, or a peice of sausage got stuck to the mating surface. Add Beer next time.

Kokanee.......my antifreeze of choice.
Old 09-20-2004, 05:46 PM
JediAgent
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Correction:
The presence of BOTH pizza AND beer are only required in large complimentary portions when one is A. Trying to modify the car at hand or B. Attempting to part out the car at hand.

Fixing a vehicular system required for the car to move in and of its own power only requires one of the two foods at hand, although both are highly recommended for the added benefit of less annoyance due to full stomach in the event the repair attempt is a failure.
Old 09-20-2004, 11:38 PM
Zero10
Race Car

LOL, long story short, get pizza, get beer, do job over =)

I usually don't drink when I work on my car though, makes me clumsy. I would rather have complete presence of mind when it comes to my baby.
Old 09-21-2004, 12:59 AM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I quit drinking about 3 and a half years ago, I hope my head is a little more clear than last week when we did them, lol. I'm thinking it's just got a little dirt in there on the metal gasket surface, everything looked and felt good going together. We'll see wednesday, Rock, I'll bring my spare oil cooler gasket set just in case we find a rip on one of the gaskets or something, I highly doubt it tho.
Old 09-21-2004, 09:54 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts

do a search. the piece coming out of the block that the green oring goes on is not part of the block. it comes out and takes the other green oring. there are two alignment tools. do you have the correct one?

I did a write up on this a few years ago, perry posted pictues around last may, the answer is out there.

Gotta stop racing those camaros rock.
Old 09-21-2004, 10:22 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Andy,

Let me add that if you don't have the correct alignment tool for Rock's car, I have it. You can borrow mine before you dive into it again if you need it.

J.
Old 09-21-2004, 10:40 AM
njwilser
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is really a pain in the ash to do on the car w/ compromised working conditions. Perhaps the gasket shifted as you were bolting the cooler down. good luck
mw
Old 09-21-2004, 12:04 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Yay! I guess I'll start cleaning the garage today so it can be just perfect for tomorrow. Anybody that wants to stop by can, free pizza and soda because i cant drink beer.

Quick Reply: Early and Later cars different oil cooler gasket?