Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wierd knocking sound

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2004 | 03:26 PM
Tariq
1st Gear

Question Wierd knocking sound

Bought a 92 968 few months ago and discovered a few flat spots. Took the car to my local porsche dealer who said that the timing belts/tensioners/balance shaft needed to be sorted out so left the car with them for a few weeks. Got the car back back and it runs much better that before aceleration is a vast improvement, the only thing is that it is making a kind of Knocking/Grinding sound between idle and 1800 rpm after which it disapears completely, took it back and the head mechanic said it was the varioram.....can this be right? I cant remember if it made this sound before i had it serviced i dont think it was...............it doesn't seem to affect the performance but does kinda spoil driving it around at low rpm.
Old 09-13-2004 | 06:25 PM
Danno
Race Director

Could be lifters...
Old 09-13-2004 | 10:55 PM
pcarfan944
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tariq
Bought a 92 968 few months ago and discovered a few flat spots. Took the car to my local porsche dealer who said that the timing belts/tensioners/balance shaft needed to be sorted out so left the car with them for a few weeks. Got the car back back and it runs much better that before aceleration is a vast improvement, the only thing is that it is making a kind of Knocking/Grinding sound between idle and 1800 rpm after which it disapears completely, took it back and the head mechanic said it was the varioram.....can this be right? I cant remember if it made this sound before i had it serviced i dont think it was...............it doesn't seem to affect the performance but does kinda spoil driving it around at low rpm.
I had this exact problem with my 944, it sounded like collapsed lifters when running cold but when I took it in for the timing belt service this summer it turned out there was a cracked roller. I haven't heard it since. Maybe they installed a defective roller or something else on yours too? Just a thought.

Pat
86 944
Old 09-13-2004 | 11:18 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

the Variocam on my father's 968 is the same way. it's just a momentary chatter that annoys you, right? Well, we took it to about 3 different Porsche techs, and all of them told us the same thing: The Variocam just does that. However, in some cases such as yours and my father's, it's louder than others. So they told us either leave it and be annoyed (as it doesn't hurt anything) or replace the Variocam (Which is BIG money to do). So we replaced the chain tensioner pads and left it. it's been fine. been that way for about 4 years now.

Quick Reply: Wierd knocking sound