Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can U make the rubber less dull

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 11:04 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Peckster
It's not suppose to shine. All that stuff will screw up your rubber and plastic.
Is that so...guess all us B to B users are all going to have our spoilers fall off like a frost bitten toe. Damn if only I'd known
Old 09-13-2004, 11:07 PM
83na944
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What, nobody uses Vinylex?
Old 09-13-2004, 11:29 PM
944CS
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the Mothers back to black...but I found that Black Magic's Trim and Tire shine lasts longer, costs less, and you dont have to use as much
Old 09-14-2004, 01:05 AM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Silicone breaks down the natural waxes that are part of most black rubber formulas, especially tire rubber compounds. That is why you sidewalls turn brown and get all cracked looking. That is backed up by a tire engineer I know who works for Goodyear here in town. Not just some office chump either, but a tire engineer who can point at specific tires in their line and honestly say he was a major player in the design and engineering.

I don't know what silicone does to urethane like the spoiler, but I try to keep it way from my tires.
Old 09-14-2004, 02:21 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

For some reason I think that everyone assumes that the Mothers Back to Black product has Silicon or silicon compounds. I was curious myself. The following site should put that rumor to rest. Based upon MSDS sheets there are no silicons of any kind in any of the Mothers product listed on the database. Just because it shines I think everyone assumes it's just another Armorall clone. Silicon compounds are in virtually every Armorall product they make.

http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov...ds&id=13008009

http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov...=Auto+products
Old 09-14-2004, 11:48 AM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2Tight
Is that so...guess all us B to B users are all going to have our spoilers fall off like a frost bitten toe. Damn if only I'd known
Here's a quote from a site that seems fairly unbiased. I have no idea what's in B to B, I don't like the look of any of these produicts so I don't use them.

"The raw silicone oil that is the main ingredient in most of the nationally advertised, auto parts store, high gloss products may actually dissolve the wax and be the cause of premature tire sidewall cracking/failure. The quality tire/rubber dressings should contain a strong UV protectant to bolster the efforts of the carbon black and not contain any raw silicone oil. Many of the nationally advertised rubber and vinyl products also contain formaldehyde. If you plan on having a funeral for your vinyl/rubber, then you may wish to use one of these products."

Here's the link. http://www.autoeducation.com/carcare/tires.htm
Old 09-14-2004, 01:21 PM
inactiveuser92616
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey peck, the 303 I posted about is foremost a UV protectant and has absolutely no silicone in it; but thanks for the generalization.
Old 09-14-2004, 01:39 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

I completely agree about the silicon concerns, it's great to make things slippery but I still wouldn't put it anywhere where UV can make it react with a surface. The 3M 303 really is a great product but I never had luck finding it locally except at marine/aircraft supply places, mailorder was never convenient if I needed some in a rush.
Old 09-14-2004, 01:46 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 83na944
What, nobody uses Vinylex?
Ive been trying to find that to use on my interior but I havent had any luck locally. Know of an online place to order it from?
Old 09-14-2004, 02:38 PM
NeedPorscheSpeed
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Raymon, you might also consider using a product called Forever Black.
Old 09-14-2004, 03:00 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NeedPorscheSpeed
Raymon, you might also consider using a product called Forever Black.
Forever Black worked for me also, don't know if it is better or worse than Back To Black, but it does work.

My spoiler was chalky when I bought it, the Forever Black made it look new again, now every few weeks I use One Grand Exterior Rubber & Vinyl Treatment to keep it looking great.
Old 09-14-2004, 03:01 PM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

So . . . regarding silicone . . . I always knew it was bad to use silicone oil, but my understanding that it was the oil that made it bad, and that the *dry* type of silicone was beneficial. More information, please?

Thanks,
Old 09-14-2004, 03:18 PM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

3M dry silicone:
http://www3.3m.com/catalog/ca/en001/...er/output_html

Honestly, for all the years I have been using this stuff or the Zep equivalent, I have never had anything turn brown. Don't tell me that the wipes where the window comes out of the door aren't rubber. I've treated tires with this prior to storage - indoors and out - and never had a trace of brown. Years ago I got brown build up from all those tire shine products at the auto parts store, but never had it with dry silicone. Never had a tire dry-rot as such, either. I just swapped out two of the Falkens on my 944 and the grooves in the tread were dry-rotted but the sidewalls were not. No brown, either. Please explain that. Tires are also not *shiny* with dry silicone; they are just black. This is not oil. I'm open to hearing what people have to say, but it isn't making sense with what other knowledgeable people I have known have said. My guess with that Goodyear guy is that he was talking about the silicone oils that the auto parts chain stores push, not the dry type. Perhaps the people posting in this topic are not aware that there are silicone oils and the dry type of silicone, and everyone's experience is just with the oils (which is pretty much all you can get at auto parts stores).
Old 09-14-2004, 03:40 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tony K
3M dry silicone:

Honestly, for all the years I have been using this stuff or the Zep equivalent, I have never had anything turn brown.
I've used the 'dri- silicon' type spray on the shock boots of all my cars for years. They never seemed to last more than a few years in our hot climate without cracking and tearing. Brake dust with moisture is very agressive for either rubber or poly boots. The dri silicon has extended the life of these boots by a factor of 2-3 so far. I think, since dri-silicon doesn't attract dust, that the brake dust never really sticks well enough to react with the rubber. I haven't really had a boot crack since I started using it so it can't be that bad at least in this application. I really haven't used it on anything else except window tracks, distributor cap, door seals, and antenna masts. Never tried it on tires or exterior rubber trim. There are a lot of good products out there and some real bad ones; sorting them out is what the Forum community is all about, everyone has a opinion.
Old 09-18-2004, 10:23 PM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Yes- any tire blackening solution should work fine. In fact, anything black becomes looking brand new again! I believe the solution has UV inhibitors, to lessen the radiations' effects.

Quick Reply: can U make the rubber less dull